Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning @kyle dollahan Welcome to the forum ;) Motivation is different for everyone, my personal motivation is not wanting to grow old with complications or to be a burden to anyone, I want to have a healthy life for as long as possible, so each time I test my bloods I act on it, whether it's an insulin adjustment or for reassurance, I want to stay on track. You title your thread 'bad diabetic' but I don't believe any of us are, we're not labels we are individuals who are all deep down hoping to just live uncomplicated lives. In this forum there are many others who understand and know what daily challenges you face, if you're struggling with anything let us know - there's alot of wisdom and experience other members can offer, let us know why you feel you are lazy and what could motivate you to test more, the very fact you have posted shows your desire to change ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Knowing that when I'm out of range I feel lousy. And with hindsight, in the days when I didn't bother testing much, I got used to feeling lousy quite a lot of the time and have no intention to do that again.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel best with blood sugars in range, so that's a good motivation along with trying to stay healthy.

I find a routine helps a lot. I don't have to motivate myself to test my sugars - it's automatic.

I think having more than one meter can help as it means not having to go upstairs to search it out, etc. Make things easy for yourself :)

I also think the right frame of mind is important. You're testing for yourself when it comes down to it - not the doctors, not your family, etc

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @kyle dollahan and welcome to the forum! Like @Juicyj I feel that 'bad diabetic' is not a term which is usefully applicable - there are so many reasons for the achievement of control in diabetes being a challenge, and it is all too easy (especially for those without diabetes, or for those of us with diabetes in times of frustration!) to use pejorative language like 'bad diabetic' or 'naughty diabetic' rather than 'individual' or 'human being' or 'you' or 'me' or 'Kyle'!

I 'suffered' from the 'good girl' thing as a child. Any figure within the range of 3mmol to 8mmol (those were the targets I had back in the 80s) would get 'Good girl!' from whichever parent was assisting me test.

But 10mmol? 12mmol?
No comment.
I knew that the opposite of a good girl was a naughty girl. If they didn't say anything, that must mean I was naughty.
This had some serious repercussions when I started secretly taking more insulin so I would be more 'good girl' than no comment. Got a bit scary for everyone for a while.

I digress - I'm sorry. I just want to make it clear that there is no such thing as a 'bad diabetic'. There are plenty of diabetics - in fact by the very fickle, rollercoaster nature of this condition, I would say all of us - who find it a challenge to remain in control of it all - the motivation, the frustration, the testing, the numbers we sometimes find disappointing and unworthy of the efforts we are making - who find it really tough to not eat that doughnut and therefore choose to eat that doughnut and then go through the negative feelings about it. But we're human. We're going through all of the things we do in our normal everyday lives, and then we have to do all of the diabetes stuff as well, under such pressure (from ourselves, from our loved ones, from our healthcare teams).

My advice for motivation - well, I could start to list the scary stuff - but that's not my main motivation. My motivation is to feel the most well 'me' that I can for the most part of most days most of the time. Actually I aim very high in terms of my wanting to feel well, but these days I keep things manageable by taking it one day at a time. One meal at a time. One test at a time.

If you're experienced with carb counting and correction doses, you're well on the way. If not, get yourself signed up to your local hospital's DAFNE course. This gave me the power to change my numbers for myself. Get into a routine of testing - have your kit by your bed, and do your fasting test the moment you wake up. That's one down, already. And that's a really useful number to base the first part of your day on.

If you're having a meal, you're taking insulin, and if you're taking insulin (and dose-adjusting for corrections and for carbs), well, it's really handy to know what the number is. Not as something to judge yourself (or be judged) by, but as a tool, a part of the equation.

Start as small as you like, and progress one step at a time.

And you're not a 'bad diabetic'. You're Kyle. Hi Kyle!

Love Snapsy
:)

Reactions: 16 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a type 1 diabetic, What motives do you use/recommend to get over the laziness and lack of testing?

Has to be to live a long-life but without complications (or as few as possible).

Do come back and ask away if your struggling to cope Kyle, there's some great people on the forum who are friendly, knowledgeable and supportive to those who need some motivation. Best wishes.

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, I think it's an issue of maturity more than anything (or it is/was for me) especially for young people. When I was younger (before my T1 diagnosis) the general mindset was "Things are fine now so I'll get to that later."

"I've got a month until that final exam so I'll study later." Then suddenly it's the night before the test and you're scrambling to prepare.

"I'll lose that 5 pounds next month." Then you find yourself at a point where you've gained 25 pounds and have that much more to lose now.

Unfortunately, this one is quite a bit more serious: "I don't feel like it now. I'll test my blood sugar later." Over time, that can have some significant negative repercussions that may irreparable (I'll save you the trouble of listing them off).

So to answer your question, as I got older I realized that it was much easier and less stressful to put forth consistent effort rather than wait until the last minute when it was usually too late. There are times when I feel exhausted and it's very easy to say "I'm sure my blood sugar is fine. I'll test later" only to realize that my blood sugar was not fine and I was glad I made the extra 30 second effort.

Find ways to make that extra 30 second effort each day. Maybe that means putting an extra meter by your bed to make it easier or buying a carrying case that makes everything more convenient. Either way, set a goal for yourself (test X times per day) and try to hit that goal more times than not each week.

Reactions: 10 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I very often think I'm a "bad diabetic". But, I would agree "bad diabetic" isn't a helpful way to think of yourself. I bet when reading the forums or chatting to other people with diabetes you wouldn't dream of saying, or even thinking, they were a bad diabetic. Because, you know how tough and how much hard work managing diabetes can be. If you wouldn't say it to anyone else, try not to say it to yourself in your head.

I'm motivated to test by fear. Plain and simple and not perhaps advice that I would suggest anyone else should follow but I'm sh*t scared of developing life altering complications in the future and I know that previously not testing enough has resulted in me having no hypo awareness which carries with it rather more immediate fears.

I'm not saying every time I test I'm pooing my pants! But it is the fear that made me realise I just had to suck it up and make testing an integral part of my life, part of my routine. it's a thing I don't even think about, I just do it.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be an age thing, but I think its more of a personality issue. Certain types of people just care more about stuff.

I have always been the type of person that had to know, if a question came to mind I had to find out the answer. If I develop an interest in something I have to know everything about it and usually stay up long nights just researching it and everything associated with it - cars, physics, pop culture, history whatever peaks my interest. I have always been this way.

Not everyone is like this, and some people just have the attitude where they don't care, Finding out is a chore to them, not a joy. I would think if you aren't excited to know the answer then your in the 'chore' group.

The best advice i can offer here is to make it a habit and do it mechanically. Like turning on a light when you enter a dark room. Check when you sit down for dinner. Check when you get to the couch to turn on the tv/laptop check when you sit in the drivers seat. Just make it a habit, whether you think you 'need' to check or not its always worth knowing whats going on.

The way to motivate someone is to try to scare them - Do you want to loose your feet - no? then better make sure your levels are on point now, because if they aren't that that clock is running lol

I prefer the first option - so just carry your glucometer around with you, from have it next to you on the couch, bring with you to your bedroom when you go to play guitar, then bring it back to the computer - carry it like you would your cell phone - and eventually it becomes a habit to have and it gets way easier if its just ready beside you and waiting.

jeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know it alls, Doctors who don't have a clue about maintaining diabetes, Right wing politicians
My solution to laziness was to have a meter by my bed, another downstairs and one for the car. Then there is no excuse. Mind you I am on a mix of animal and analogue which gives clues about low BG and I feel like death if the BG rises above 7mmol. Still I have no complications after 62 years come next January and have tackle most of my goals and plan to live at least another 30 years.

Reactions: 8 people

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
As a type 1 diabetic, What motives do you use/recommend to get over the laziness and lack of testing?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Feel like absolute **** if I don't test and adjust food/ insulin accordingly and if I don't plan ahead and take a suitcase full of food/ medical supplies with me wherever I go!!!! If I lapse I have no energy, motivation or get up and go--little or nothing gets done and I hate that. Oh and the thought of complications--do not want to be a statistic!!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My solution to laziness was to have a meter by my bed, another downstairs and one for the car. Then there is no excuse. Mind you I am on a mix of animal and analogue which gives clues about low BG and I feel like death if the BG rises above 7mmol. Still I have no complications after 62 years come next January and have tackle most of my goals and plan to live at least another 30 years.
Good on you!! I thought I had had "it" forever (54 years without complications--55 yrs next Feb) but take my hat off to you......!!!!! Didn't realise you could mix analogue & animal--when I asked no one seemed to know either. I also feel like **** if I go above 7 BG--quite a motivation, I think...........................................

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I very often think I'm a "bad diabetic". But, I would agree "bad diabetic" isn't a helpful way to think of yourself. I bet when reading the forums or chatting to other people with diabetes you wouldn't dream of saying, or even thinking, they were a bad diabetic. Because, you know how tough and how much hard work managing diabetes can be. If you wouldn't say it to anyone else, try not to say it to yourself in your head.

I'm motivated to test by fear. Plain and simple and not perhaps advice that I would suggest anyone else should follow but I'm sh*t scared of developing life altering complications in the future and I know that previously not testing enough has resulted in me having no hypo awareness which carries with it rather more immediate fears.

I'm not saying every time I test I'm pooing my pants! But it is the fear that made me realise I just had to suck it up and make testing an integral part of my life, part of my routine. it's a thing I don't even think about, I just do it.
If that's what works for you it is good that you acknowledge and use it. I know several people who have had compications and the outcome was not good for any of them.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Honestly, I think it's an issue of maturity more than anything (or it is/was for me) especially for young people. When I was younger (before my T1 diagnosis) the general mindset was "Things are fine now so I'll get to that later."

"I've got a month until that final exam so I'll study later." Then suddenly it's the night before the test and you're scrambling to prepare.

"I'll lose that 5 pounds next month." Then you find yourself at a point where you've gained 25 pounds and have that much more to lose now.

Unfortunately, this one is quite a bit more serious: "I don't feel like it now. I'll test my blood sugar later." Over time, that can have some significant negative repercussions that may irreparable (I'll save you the trouble of listing them off).

So to answer your question, as I got older I realized that it was much easier and less stressful to put forth consistent effort rather than wait until the last minute when it was usually too late. There are times when I feel exhausted and it's very easy to say "I'm sure my blood sugar is fine. I'll test later" only to realize that my blood sugar was not fine and I was glad I made the extra 30 second effort.

Find ways to make that extra 30 second effort each day. Maybe that means putting an extra meter by your bed to make it easier or buying a carrying case that makes everything more convenient. Either way, set a goal for yourself (test X times per day) and try to hit that goal more times than not each week.
I don't think it is maturity because those I know who have had bad outcomes with diabetes have all been older people. I developed type 1 when I was 8 years old and felt awful with zilch energy. When I was taken into hospital, was monitored and eventually received my first insulin injection I can remember how much better I felt (and increasingly so as each day passed). I told myself then that I never, ever wanted to feel as bad as I had done, ever again. That was my motivation to stick to my diet, take lots of exercise and learn as much as possible to help me do so. That was 55 years ago next Feb and I have no complications. I have done all the things I ever wanted to, have enjoyed life to the max and intend to continue like this for as long as I possibly can!! That is my motivation...................

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Don't beat yourself up if things are not right blood sugar wise--lots of things affect BMs and as time goes on you will know what these things are and so make adjustments. Be self disciplined so tests etc just become habitual. Keep to a routine with regard to tests, injections and food. Learn as much as you can about diabetes but remember to also use your own experiences to help you decide what corrective action to take (not everything that you read/ are told about will actually apply to you--we are all different)! Don't let diabetes stop you doing anything but be flexible and work around what you need to do--& learn from what happens eg exercise. Be confident about your ability to cope--you know you can do it because lots of others do. Remember you are YOU first and you just happen to have diabetes--look after it and it will look after you. One doc always told me that as long as I largely kept my BMs within the normal range I would be able to do anything I wanted & the diabetes wouldn't be blown out of proportion--believe you me, that is very true. If you aim to do this you will feel tons better and have lots of energy to do precisely as you want. All the very best!!!!

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kyle - I was diagnosed in 1988 as a 15yr old and can probably count the number of times I tested in the first ten years on just my fingers. I also never went for check ups and it was only in 1999 when I changed GP's that I discovered that new 'gentler' testing kits had been around for years. This was the first change that encouraged me to test but the biggest influence was the discovery of AST (alternative site testing) caps. These allow me to test from my forearms and thighs so my fingers are no longer under constant abuse and as I now pump, I usually test 10-12 times per day. Luckily I have had no complications but the older and slightly wiser version of me knows how different this could have been.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Here's a good one, you shouldn't bury your head in the sand. That's good enough reason for me to test and live as healthy as possible

If you don't look after your control, some of the following things could happen -

Cardio Vascular Disease
Heart Attack
Stroke
Dead in bed hypo
Blindness / Retinopathy
Premature death
Amputations

That stuff will motivate me to try and control it as much as humanly possible, plus it possibly could shave some years off your life. that should motivate anyone.

The most important reason not to neglect it is to watch my son grow up and provide a good example to him that I give a **** and have full respect of this disease diabetes

Last edited by a moderator:

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, first things first.
I agree with everyone about the use of the label. I live in the States, and it's so common to hear/feel this label applied to T1s that sometimes, you just ignore it. The problem with that is you internalize it, too. Diabetics are good or bad at their disease: Just as the amount of insulin one takes is not a barometer of the disease.
Onto your real question, though: What is my motivation? Yes, I feel bad when my blood sugar is off. Yes, yes, there's all sorts of risks, and thank you so much for listing them. They're important to know, but I think anyone who suffers from T1 or T2 hears these every darn day of their life from anyone who wants to commiserate with you about their relative/friend/acquaintance who didn't take care of themselves and lost their sight/leg/toes/life/younameit.
But my motivation is in the idea of taking care of myself. Things used to scare me so much that I found I ran from the stories of loss and suffering and all the labels that I had swallowed over the years. And where did I run? To the bakery, to the store for crisps, for anything I **** WELL FELT LIKE HAVING. But a nagging question followed those periods of indulgence: Is this the life I want to lead? Sometimes, you have to ask, "Who's life is this anyway?" and find that YOU determine what's best for you. I can test my blood and exercise better control and skip the lectures from the doctor. I can be in charge of me! Sure, I'm diabetic, but I don't have to give the reins of my life over to someone else who is marginally interested in my well being. This is my life and I want to live it, without having someone looking over my shoulder with a label ready to categorize me.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's interesting to hear all these view points, but motivation for me when I was diagnosed as a teenage boy was these four words:

"Risk of Erectile dysfunction"

It wasn't pointed out as a big thing, just one of the many things that might affect me, but it wasn't something I wanted to experience.