Type 1 - Daily carbs

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As DPC 2016 showed, the professionals are starting to take a lot more notice of Glycaemic Variability as a factor in onset of complications (something that Bernsteins has banged on about for years). Currently, if you were to ask what causes instability they will tell you that there are many factors. What they won't tell you is that eating fewer carbs is one way that many find of reducing that variability.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mine, on average, is in between 80 and 100 carbs.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
anywhere between 150g and 250g........

some weekends I will no doubt exceed that also.......

most of the time its easy enough to keep normal BG with that, but is a lot more unpredictable that's for sure...:)

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably somewhere around 2-250g/day.

I suspect over the summer I'll average 400-600g/day. Going to be fun

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, and I think BG is a better guide than A1c actually (provided you're catching the 1-hr spikes).

Absolutely! I have a bit of an obsession with spikes : D I've found the timing of the bolus helps a lot. I always test after meals to see how things are going. It's also interesting to see the effect of different carbs.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Absolutely! I have a bit of an obsession with spikes : D I've found the timing of the bolus helps a lot. I always test after meals to see how things are going. It's also interesting to see the effect of different carbs.

I too has this obsession but its died off a bit now........I don't know if that's good or bad....;)

unietis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i'm very new to this, so i'm still honeymooning and in average I'd intake at least 120g
I am a cyclist (200-350km per week), so i don't think i would be able to go through just with 30g of carbs or so.

My HbA1c in three months went down from 14.0% to 6.2%.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too, going at the spikes, that is. It's the best thing we can do. And I really enjoy the self-as-chemistry-set part of it too. It *is* interesting.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Me too, going at the spikes, that is. It's the best thing we can do. And I really enjoy the self-as-chemistry-set part of it too. It *is* interesting.

@LucySW, you should have been around before bg meters were widely available and all we had was the Clinitest Kit:

cca6a13357c85ad5872f0aec0ce66727.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Top_Barman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Generally I have around 250-300 g of Carbs, but I am a waiter in a busy restaurant, and my weight hasn't altered in the last 7 or 8 years, except when I was in a cast for my Charcot Arthropathy.

Put on about 5 kilos then, but had lost it within 4 weeks of being back at work.