type 1 diabetic

Danielle Rafter

I've been a type 1 diabetic from the age of 3 and I'm now 17 which is just mind blowing haha. But don't worry about being high because when you panic your glucose rate goes up, I am on the dexcom G5 and it happens to me so don't worry you're not the only one.

One think I do hate that it puts me down all the time I start crying to my boyfriend saying that I give up I don't want this anymore but he always tells me to never give up and stay strong and I think that is very sweet and idk what I would do without an amazing person like that and my friends are the same, always with me for better or worse that's true friendship goals lol

Never give up to those amazing & beautiful people out there with type 1 diabetes because there are so many ways to get better and in the future there will be a curse for all diseases and disabilities

Back in August I was ill and I went to hospital and the hospital didn't know what was wrong with me and I got paranoid and scared and I went to get my HB1C and it was 8.2 and I was like what how, and they said well it might of been when you wasn't well in August because that would make it increase and I was like oh right that's odd but I'm glad that I'm feeling well and I have to make sure my blood is in goof control

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 306

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Welcome to the forum @Danielle Rafter
I have been type 1 for coming up-to 47 years! Now that's not only hard to believe BUT very scary as well.
A well controlled type1 can have a very long, trouble free life :)

Reactions: Danielle Rafter

Danielle Rafter

Porl69, I hate feeling low when your under 3.5 because I feel horrible cold shivers up and down my body and I panic when I'm getting sugar from normal coke or dextrose.

Being a diabetic is tiring but when I'm low all I wanna do is sleep but when I eat something I feel better but I still feel tired

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a type 1 diabetic from the age of 3 and I'm now 17 which is just mind blowing haha. But don't worry about being high because when you panic your glucose rate goes up, I am on the dexcom G5 and it happens to me so don't worry you're not the only one.

One think I do hate that it puts me down all the time I start crying to my boyfriend saying that I give up I don't want this anymore but he always tells me to never give up and stay strong and I think that is very sweet and idk what I would do without an amazing person like that and my friends are the same, always with me for better or worse that's true friendship goals lol

Never give up to those amazing & beautiful people out there with type 1 diabetes because there are so many ways to get better and in the future there will be a curse for all diseases and disabilities

Back in August I was ill and I went to hospital and the hospital didn't know what was wrong with me and I got paranoid and scared and I went to get my HB1C and it was 8.2 and I was like what how, and they said well it might of been when you wasn't well in August because that would make it increase and I was like oh right that's odd but I'm glad that I'm feeling well and I have to make sure my blood is in goof control

Hello and welcome, I had a similar episode last year in which I somehow had ketoacidosis and gastrointeritis and spent time in hospital. I was told to go the hospital, my blood sugar was only 16 but I struggled to lower it, I thought screw this (out of desperation and wouldnt recommend it) and took a correction of 8 units of novo-rapid fast acting, by the time I got to the hospital, waited 3 hours to be seen, my blood sugar levels were 5.7 and the they couldn't detect ketosis, they thought the doctor was making it up but as mentioned I told them I had gastro and they ran some tests to find I was severely dehydrated also! Shocking because if I wasn't type 1 diabetic I probably would had just been fine at home!

Sometimes I also think whats the point but, then I realise, and I don't want to sound patronising or insensitive to anyone here and always say to my doctor, is that It could have been worse at the time, I could be dead, I could be missing limbs, I could have cancer etc, so in a way I am lucky to have such a manageable disease, despite there being no cure, and that is one great thing about it, it can be managed to the point were quality of life is like that of a none-diabetic and that is what I am striving for, HBA1C 49 (6.6 in old numbers) and dropping

I hope you don't mine me interjecting with my little story. Good luck to you on your fight with this illness, during your low times always remember the best parts of your life and how you need to keep fighting on! Welcome to the forum together we will beat this!

Last edited:

Danielle Rafter

Hello and welcome, I had a similar episode last year in which I somehow had ketoacidosis and gastrointeritis and spent time in hospital. I was told to go the hospital, my blood sugar was only 16 but I struggled to lower it, I thought screw this (out of desperation and wouldnt recommend it) and took a correction of 8 units of novo-rapid fast acting, by the time I got to the hospital, waited 3 hours to be seen, my blood sugar levels were 5.7 and the they couldn't detect ketosis, they thought the doctor was making it up but as mentioned I told them I had gastro and they ran some tests to find I was severely dehydrated also! Shocking because if I wasn't type 1 diabetic I probably would had just been fine at home!

Sometimes I also think whats the point but, then I realise, and I don't want to sound patronising to anyone here and always say to my doctor, is that It could be worse, I could be dead, I could be missing limbs, I could have cancer etc, so in a way I am lucky to have such a manageable disease, despite there being no cure, and that is one great thing about it, it can be managed to the point were quality of life is like that of a none-diabetic and that is what I am striving for, HBA1C 49 (6.6 in old numbers) and dropping

I hope you don't mine me interjecting with my little story. Good luck to you on your fight with this illness, during your low times always remember the best parts of your life and how you need to keep fighting on! Welcome to the forum together we will beat this!

Earlier this year when I was 16 I was checking my blood as normal but I didn't put insulin in I don't know why I did it but I went skinnier and skinnier and my parents were worried because I cold of had anorexia and etc... I sorted my self out and started putting my insulin in and I felt better because I had sharp headaches and feeling light headed and I remember once I was hugging my dad and I collapsed in my room and I thought to myself am I low or something but my blood was 20.7 and I was confused.

I remember when I was first diagnosed with diabetes at 3 and I used to have fits and I threw up at early hours of mornings, it's horrible because I was just a little child and I witnessed all of the horrible dramas my body has gone through.

Still scares me today because I passed out in my mums kitchen at 7 and I went to 2 hospitals People think it's easy to check blood and put insulin in but it's tiring and it's not easy, I've been a diabetic for 13 years and I sometimes can't be bothered with it anymore and that's sad.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Earlier this year when I was 16 I was checking my blood as normal but I didn't put insulin in I don't know why I did it but I went skinnier and skinnier and my parents were worried because I cold of had anorexia and etc... I sorted my self out and started putting my insulin in and I felt better because I had sharp headaches and feeling light headed and I remember once I was hugging my dad and I collapsed in my room and I thought to myself am I low or something but my blood was 20.7 and I was confused.

I remember when I was first diagnosed with diabetes at 3 and I used to have fits and I threw up at early hours of mornings, it's horrible because I was just a little child and I witnessed all of the horrible dramas my body has gone through.

Still scares me today because I passed out in my mums kitchen at 7 and I went to 2 hospitals People think it's easy to check blood and put insulin in but it's tiring and it's not easy, I've been a diabetic for 13 years and I sometimes can't be bothered with it anymore and that's sad.

Oh I was diagnosed at 15 so it was easier to understand, I couldn't possibly imagine going through it at such a young age, it would be so difficult for you as a child to understand I presume? You are incredibly brave to go through that! Yes definitely take you insulin from now on as it is there to make you feel better as horrible as it is to take the injections!

It is tiring you are right, it's a constant battle isn't it? Just like anything in life if you do something constantly it becomes monotonous can't be bothered with it, and diabetes at times feels like it is unassailable. I do hope things get easier and better for you, I am sure they will :)

Danielle Rafter

Oh I was diagnosed at 15 so it was easier to understand, I couldn't possibly imagine going through it at such a young age, it would be so difficult for you as a child to understand I presume? You are incredibly brave to go through that! Yes definitely take you insulin from now on as it is there to make you feel better as horrible as it is to take the injections!

It is tiring you are right, it's a constant battle isn't it? Just like anything in life if you do something constantly it becomes monotonous can't be bothered with it, and diabetes at times feels like it is unassailable. I do hope things get easier and better for you, I am sure they will :)

Hopefully I might be getting the new omnipod pump but I might have the same one I'm with now because it's Bluetooth and it's incredible. When I was 7 I was put on my first pump and I hated it because it used to get caught on door handles and things and Mt mum had to come in to school to change it because I didn't know how to do it at a young age.

I just can't believe you're still on injections, I think it's wrong because every diabetic should be on a pump to help them stop injecting with solar star and novorapid and have a pump for basil which is like solar star but the pump puts it in automatically which is amazing.

I wish I could find a cure and give it all to everyone with diabetes and other because no one should have a hard disability or disease it's just not fair to anyone anymore because I know their pain.

I'm the only diabetic in my family and I think that it's not fair but my dad always tells me that there is a lot worse out there and he's right

Reactions: PaulAshby

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just can't believe you're still on injections, I think it's wrong because every diabetic should be on a pump to help them stop injecting with solar star and novorapid and have a pump for basil which is like solar star but the pump puts it in automatically which is amazing.
Cost, cost is why especially in the UK, I would love to have a pump, but I've worked hard, got my hba1c down and now my hba1c is too good to get a pump (though I'm only in the correct range 42% of the time) - I'd love one - after 41 years(ish) of injecting I want a break!

But yeah at times all of us just want to ignore it and hope for a life a life without it - so don't feel bad about wanting to ignore it - just make sure you don't actually ignore it :)

Reactions: porl69

Danielle Rafter

Cost, cost is why especially in the UK, I would love to have a pump, but I've worked hard, got my hba1c down and now my hba1c is too good to get a pump (though I'm only in the correct range 42% of the time) - I'd love one - after 41 years(ish) of injecting I want a break!

But yeah at times all of us just want to ignore it and hope for a life a life without it - so don't feel bad about wanting to ignore it - just make sure you don't actually ignore it :)

I dont want to I literally force myself to do it day to day no break no messing around just straight in to doing it I just hate feeling kind trash all the time, either high or low makes me feel ill

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to push it to the back of my brain as much as I can, but I am not ashamed of my illness, I am proud of the way I control it and deal with life, as im sure everyone is.

Pumps are peoples personal opinions, it would be nice to have one, however I don't mind injecting myself, so I refused an offer a few years ago for someone who needed it more, CCGs only fund so many

Danielle Rafter

I try to push it to the back of my brain as much as I can, but I am not ashamed of my illness, I am proud of the way I control it and deal with life, as im sure everyone is.

Pumps are peoples personal opinions, it would be nice to have one, however I don't mind injecting myself, so I refused an offer a few years ago for someone who needed it more, CCGs only fund so many

I understand, I feel sorry for kids and adults in 3rd world counties who can't get insulin or a pump but we are lucky to have these devices that help us with our control

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand, I feel sorry for kids and adults in 3rd world counties who can't get insulin or a pump but we are lucky to have these devices that help us with our control

I know I feel awful for them and really hope there is a cure for it soon! How easy or hard do you find the pump now?

Danielle Rafter

I know I feel awful for them and really hope there is a cure for it soon! How easy or hard do you find the pump now?

Well... You still have to check your BG 6 times a day and put insulin in when you eat carbs but with my pump it's waterproof and Bluetooth and the only bad thing is changing it every 3 days but I'm glad I have it because with out it I would probably go through all the horrible stuff like when I was a kid.

But it is good and very handy to use, you get a 12 month's worth of supplies for the pump like batteries and cannula's. I also have the dexcom G5 which checks your BG every 5 mins and bleeps on your phone for when your low or high and also if your blood is rising or falling so I'm glad that I have these.

I don't know what I would do without the little devices. You have to trial it for a week first but one thing is that I can't change the sensor by myself, I try but my brain says that I can't do it and I panic because I'm thinking too much about the pain which I always do but with the pump it's programmed to put the needle automatically if you command it to so that's good.

Might be going on the G6 when it comes out lol I'm the hospitals lab rat Haha but my doctor said it's more reliable than checking your blood to calibrate it every 12hours so that's good but I am grateful for their help I don't know what I would of done with out them really. ‍♀️
IMG_1332.jpg

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well... You still have to check your BG 6 times a day and put insulin in when you eat carbs but with my pump it's waterproof and Bluetooth and the only bad thing is changing it every 3 days but I'm glad I have it because with out it I would probably go through all the horrible stuff like when I was a kid.

But it is good and very handy to use, you get a 12 month's worth of supplies for the pump like batteries and cannula's. I also have the dexcom G5 which checks your BG every 5 mins and bleeps on your phone for when your low or high and also if your blood is rising or falling so I'm glad that I have these.

I don't know what I would do without the little devices. You have to trial it for a week first but one thing is that I can't change the sensor by myself, I try but my brain says that I can't do it and I panic because I'm thinking too much about the pain which I always do but with the pump it's programmed to put the needle automatically if you command it to so that's good.

Might be going on the G6 when it comes out lol I'm the hospitals lab rat Haha but my doctor said it's more reliable than checking your blood to calibrate it every 12hours so that's good but I am grateful for their help I don't know what I would of done with out them really. ‍♀️View attachment 28589

Bloody hell bluetooth as well ey youll be able to play songs on them next ;) yeah I heard those dexcom are really good and they have saved peoples lives that would be something interesting I would use but my GP are stingy they wanted to give me the cheapest blood reader ever so I went to the hospital and got a decent one only the finger pricker but its fine

Yeah thats a good thing that it does it automatically, you lost me a little bit sensors and stuff I have no idea :p its good that all these devices are helping you out and hopefully you can get some good upgrades soon :D

Haha hospital lab rat saying that I always say to them arent there any special clinical trials like in movies were you test stuff out on me and see what happens never know might get rid of diabetes might turn me into captain america who knows:D:D

Haha that picture is class did you put your face on that yourself:D

Danielle Rafter

Bloody hell bluetooth as well ey youll be able to play songs on them next ;) yeah I heard those dexcom are really good and they have saved peoples lives that would be something interesting I would use but my GP are stingy they wanted to give me the cheapest blood reader ever so I went to the hospital and got a decent one only the finger pricker but its fine

Yeah thats a good thing that it does it automatically, you lost me a little bit sensors and stuff I have no idea :p its good that all these devices are helping you out and hopefully you can get some good upgrades soon :D

Haha hospital lab rat saying that I always say to them arent there any special clinical trials like in movies were you test stuff out on me and see what happens never know might get rid of diabetes might turn me into captain america who knows:D:D

Haha that picture is class did you put your face on that yourself:D

Haha it was on Snapchat lol

I could be black widow in a different body I don't know haha lol but apparently you can't put your own music or sound on the g5 I don't know if it's true but I have the worst and loudest alarm for my low blood sugar it hurts my ears but at least it gets me up in the night so I can sort it out
IMG_1537551429.843997.jpg

That's the picture of the dexcom on the phone so it shows you that the red is low and the yellow/amber is high so that's good

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 seema to reak havoc on people more than those with type 2 i mean both are a horriable desiese to have but type one seems to be the worst of the two evils