Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes and JSA

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone on here who is Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic on Job Seeker's Allowance?

How are the JobCentre with you? Do they make reasonable adjustments and take into account that you could have a hypo at any moment?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
What reasonable adjustments are you expecting them to make? If your well controlled your not likely to hypo any minute!!

Reactions: 2 people

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What reasonable adjustments are you expecting them to make? If your well controlled your not likely to hypo any minute!!

Reasonable adjustments such as not making me apply for jobs I am not allowed to do because of my Type 1 Diabetes. I have never been in employment since I was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic on 1st Nov so I do not know the effect the daily routine of work will have on my blood glucose level.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you are expecting Job Centre to make adjustments, then how do you go about your normal everyday living such as shopping, driving etc. when you go out to the shops do you go to the place and say to the manager "hey I'm here for 1hr shopping, but I may go hypo, just to warn you?"

To be honest, if you expect job centre to make adjustments because you are diabetic, how do you expect to find a job?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What type of jobs are you looking at?

Yes there are restrictions for certain jobs such as pilots, driving, police, ambulance-but these are not jobs that you will find advertised in the job centre.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reasonable adjustments such as not making me apply for jobs I am not allowed to do because of my Type 1 Diabetes. I have never been in employment since I was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic on 1st Nov so I do not know the effect the daily routine of work will have on my blood glucose level.

I really can't see how you could use that as an argument for not looking for work, you will only ever know what effect work will have on your diabetes control when you find a job, saying that there's a chance that you may hypo isn't going to sway the people working for the DWP, after all we can have a hypo any-time whether we are at work or not.

When I was diagnosed I was working and took around 2- 3 weeks off before returning again, it is nerve racking returning to work after diagnosis but you have to do it some time, back then I didn't have the luxury of a bg meter so had little idea what my bg levels were like, I've worked ever since in numerous jobs and diabetes has never stopped me fulfilling my duties.

As a compromise how about looking for something part-time to start off with and when you feel comfortable enough look for full-time work, it's easier said than done in this hard economic climate but I wish you every luck in finding something suitable.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was in a full time managerial job at the largest supermarket when I was diagnosed. I was taken to hospital on the Tuesday, discharged on the Friday and back to work on the Monday. I used to work at that time 70 hours a week, constantly running after my backside to be honest!,

The majority of type 1's work -many of them as electricians, retail assistants, school teachers, bank clerks, Carers, footballers, gardeners, retail managers.. And that's just people I know.

Please say which jobs that you believe the job centre are trying to get you to apply for that you believe that you are unable to do because of hypo risk.

You can do anything in thiis world if you want to.....you could probably be a pilot in the Sudan if you really wanted to.... Opportunity are not limited because you have diabetes....

Reactions: 9 people

johnny37

Donellysdog, saying you can do anything in the world is a bit over the top. Im pretty sure airline pilots are banned by airline regs of countries who belong. You might get a job in but you would not be allowed to fly into any other country. It would be stupid to do it anyway. What about deep sea diver? Crane operator? North Sea fisherman? Oil rig? Even the mud on a building site would make regular testing unrealistic (though Im sure there are many who do). If you are willing to work I am sure jobcentre staff would be sensible.

elaine77

Not being pessimistic here folks but the way the job market is at the minute anyone who declares they have diabetes (which is classed as a disability) will just be overlooked anyway unless they are remarkably higher skilled than most applicants. Employers have got their pick at the moment and are just disregarding people left, right and centre for silly things because there is too much demand and not enough supply of jobs. I'm due to graduate university in 5months and have not declared my diabetes on any graduate application whatsoever or I would never get a place. I am not insulin-dependent yet though, I don't take insulin so I'm not putting anyone or anything at risk for not disclosing it, if I were taking insulin I would disclose it but I hope to gain employment before that stage hopefully.... That's reality unfortunately and instead of painting everyone on benefits as lazy the government need to sort out the job market.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Reactions: 3 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Not being pessimistic here folks but the way the job market is at the minute anyone who declares they have diabetes (which is classed as a disability) will just be overlooked anyway unless they are remarkably higher skilled than most applicants. Employers have got their pick at the moment and are just disregarding people left, right and centre for silly things because there is too much demand and not enough supply of jobs. I'm due to graduate university in 5months and have not declared my diabetes on any graduate application whatsoever or I would never get a place. I am not insulin-dependent yet though, I don't take insulin so I'm not putting anyone or anything at risk for not disclosing it, if I were taking insulin I would disclose it but I hope to gain employment before that stage hopefully.... That's reality unfortunately and instead of painting everyone on benefits as lazy the government need to sort out the job market.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

I'm certainly with you on the not disclosing you have diabetes! Employers have the choice of people at the moment and I expect a diabetic wouldn't be high on the list to be employed!

jopar

Problem here is that when signing on, JSA means that you are actually fit to work,

If diagnosed while signing on, then the first couple of weeks yes some leeway should have been given, and even now if you have an hospital clinic appointment to attend, the Job Centre need to take this into account and adjust your signing on slot if necessary. You just need to contact them straight away, tell them it's an hospital appointment that clashes with your signing on slot...

How this is impacts on your ability to find employment is negligible, obviously there are some jobs that you won't be able to do, police officer, paramedic etc.. But these jobs tend not to be advertised via the job centre.

The job centre must allow you while you are there, access to your blood glucose meter and hypo kit, do a test and treat if necessary, there's nothing more they need to adjust.

I would advise that when applying for a job, not to mark down a disability, but do explain at interview that you weren't quite sure how to fill this in, as yes even though diabetes comes under the disability/discrimination Act, you don't see yourself disabled, all you need is to have access to your meter and hypo kit at all times, and the ability to test and treat if necessary....

But when it comes to job hunting, the mind boggles..

My brother in law was made redundant last September, first time he's not been in work since leaving school, during one of his signing on's, the women gave him a list of job's

Asking him why he hadn't applied for any of these...

My BIL said, well they all asking for experience and qualifications, that I don't have... I've worked as a slaughter men for over 20 years for the same company, I'm not a qualified or experienced, electrician, plumber, ground worker or etc etc!

She informed him, I let you off this time, but next time you still have to apply or you will lose your benefits!

But you could always do as my son is presently doing, working for a Job agency, yes only temporary work, but it's good for his CV, my daughter did the same and finally bagged herself a permanent job after about 6 months...

C

catherinecherub

I think the OP has not come to terms with his diagnosis, November 2013, and is abnormally scared of the possibility of hypos.

I would advise to go back to his G.P., explain that he is worried sick about hypos and get some professional advice to help him come to terms with his diagnosis.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not being pessimistic here folks but the way the job market is at the minute anyone who declares they have diabetes (which is classed as a disability) will just be overlooked anyway unless they are remarkably higher skilled than most applicants. .

As far as the Disability Act goes, neither T1 or T2 diabetes itself is classed as a disability. That is why diabetics cannot automatically receive DLA (or PIP), nor do they automatically get put in the 'Support Group' for ESA.

Diabetics who do qualify for the above benefits are described ad disabled due mainly to the complications of diabetes, not the diabetes itself.
Over the 36 years that I have had T1 diabetes, I've worked as a baker doing very early mornings and some night shifts, a machine operator, an explosives support worker working 16 hr days and nights and a dock security operative working 12 hr days and nights. Diabetes was never seen as a disability or liability in any of those jobs. I was unemployed twice between those jobs and the Job Centre gave no assistance or special help because I wasn't disabled. But I now have very poor eyesight and I've had one leg amputated. The assistance and benefits were available as soon as I became disabled. They are very welcome too, since I am now at a disadvantage in getting a job.

There are quite a few jobs for which diabetics cannot apply, that is true. But there are many many more that we can do. My advice to the OP would be to make the most of the health you currently have and to go for jobs which you can do, because it is very possible that you may be more restricted later in life than you are now.

Reactions: 4 people

elaine77

It's not the disability act any longer it is the Equality Act 2010 and it does qualify and recognise diabetes as a disability under the law. The reason diabetics don't get DLA etc is because the government do not award disability benefit to people who are disabled, they base the eligibility on how the disability effects your day to day life and diabetics, most of them, are deemed perfectly capable of living a normal day-to-day life unless, like you said, they have complications, but it doesn't change the law and it is a disability under the law. I don't know the rules around disclosing it but I know it is a disability under the law as I represented at an employment tribunal for it, it is a disability.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, quite right, the Equality Act now applies.

The Equality Act states that any illness or conditions can be deemed a disability, but only if the effect of that ilness or condition "...has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities..."
That doesn't
categorise all diabetics as disabled, it only means that some who have additional complications that affect their daily routine might be able to be classed as disabled. Not every diabetic can get a blue badge for parking or a Motability vehicle, only those who are registered as disabled can do so. Not every diabetic can register as disabled.

The OP has only been diagnosed for a couple of months and the reason he isn't getting any extra assistance from the Job Centre is because he is most unlikely to be disabled (through diabetes, at least). It would make things very much worse for us diabetics if we were all automatically deemed as disabled. That would have far reaching implications.

On the
separate subject of informing prospective employers of your diabetes, I would suggest that if you will need time off to attend clinics and appointments (and if complications set in there can be many of these visits), you should be upfront about your condition. You can't expect to be given help in those areas if you don't tell them before hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

jopar

The Equality Act, is a combination of several previous acts putting everybody under the same umbrella...

Diabetes used to come under the disability Act...

But diabetes comes in two parts under the act, one based on employment and the other as a disability

Employment wise it gives us protection against employers

They have to ensure we have access to our blood glucose meters and hypo kits, be able to treat as necessary etc... It also can come into play during disciplinary. The employer before a disciplinary has to ensure that the diabetes doesn't play a part..

A good example is my husbands experience last year...

My husband suffered a hypo in work, while he was treating the hypo in the duty office, he swore in front of the deputy manager, not at but in front of...
Next thing he knows head office is intend to take disciplinary action against him. At the investigation meeting he showed his blood glucose meter showing that he was hypo...

Sadly the company didn't take any notice of this and decided that the Equality Act didn't apply (strange when they are a care company, so the Equality Act plays it's part in how they provide a service to the service user) and decided that they were going to issue a final written warning, again even though he has never faced any disciplinary action in his working life, let alone for the 20+ years he's worked for the company.

He had to go through a rather stressful process, unfortunately ACCAS can't not get directly involved until after the Appeal Process, at no point did the company listen, but once the Appeal had been heard, ACCAS made one phone call to the company, explained how the Equality Act worked etc.. Never seen a company back tracking so fast....

The Equality Act, also provide protection in employment purposes, when diabetes or it's complications means that the diabetic can no longer carry out their present duties... It basically says if the diabetic can't carry on their duties, the employer either has to make adjustments, if that's not practical then they have to attempt to offer alternative position within the company, if this isn't possible or the diabetic decides that they don't want to take the new position offered, then the company has to give severance pay, which includes compensation for the lose of their employment..

As to disability Benefits..

It's not automatic entitlement, but if the diabetic suffers from complications such as hypo unawareness, one or more of the long term complications, they these may entitle them to disability benefits depending on severity etc as with any other medical condition that causes a disability.

sam381

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Elaine, good luck with your future career, I too am graduating in the coming months!

I'd just like to point out that employers sometimes HAVE to give a candidate an interview if they have stated that they have a disability on the application form, and meet the minimum requirements for the role.

I have witnessed this first hand as I was involved in the recruitment process recently at my current place of work.

Because of this knowledge, I have been disclosing that I have well controlled type 1 diabetes on my graduate job applications.

Personally I feel that a company would prefer to hire a candidate with a well controlled disability and the right skills over a healthy candidate, as it gives them a good reputation IMO!

Sam

elaine77

Hi Sam, they see disability and they think increased sickness, need for adjustments, too much palarva compared to the 100 other applications for this position - so I won't be risking it lol. It may guarantee u an interview but it doesn't guarantee u a job. I'd rather know for sure that if I get turned down for a job it had nothing at all to do with this disease.... I live in the worst part of the country for jobs too so Fingers crossed I find something somewhere.... :-(

sam381

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely agree with your view regarding being seen as a bit of a liability by employers, you can always show them how normal you are in the interview though I suppose!

Off topic but I guess you are from the north east also? All of the graduate jobs in my field are all down south unfortunately - would much prefer to stay up here personally.