Type 1: Insulin resistance and exercise

samantha13

So I'm type 1 diagnosed 6 years ago. As I've said before I spent a long time in depression and abusing my body one way through binge eating. Long story short I was then this year diagnosed with insulin resistance as a result of this and put on Metformin 500mg breakfast and evening meal.

I've heard the best way to deal with this is through exercise. I'm very unfit so for me this would be a 20mins walk to begin with.

My question is as my non work days are pretty much free when would I be best going for my walk..pre meal or post meal? Which would get better results with the insulin resistance? Thanks

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Post meal, without a doubt
You might also like to look at the 'couch25k' scheme on the NHS site

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would say both, with a caveat. I assume as a Type 1 you are on insulin and would need to ensure you do not get into hypo territory. I borrow from athletic behaviours and at least 2 days a week run or HiiT walk before eating anything - deficit training. This aids weight reduction, which will reduce insulin resistance. After is great as well, once you get fit increase the vigor and perhaps get a fitness tracker so that you can beat your times or maybe connect with others. Also worth doing some resistance training either body weight (push-ups, sit-ups, burpees, lunges and squats), or resistance bands or weights; these will provide an after burn effect and burn fat even when you are resting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that my IR drops with exercise, but it has to be something that stretches me a little. The normal park trundle with the dogs doesn't really cut it. Whereas a good stride out with sustained muscle warmth will drop my IR nicely. A lot depends on fitness levels, so the exercise needed to have an effect is going to increase as fitness increases.

Then I find that the reduced IR will persist for a while - but that depends on how long I exercised, how hard I exercised and how quickly I needed insulin afterwards.

For instance. A half hour brisk walk might drop my IR nicely for a couple of hours, while a long 4 hour hike on a coast path or hills, might drop my IR for the rest of the day, maybe even overnight.

BUT if I eat something carby, my body produces insulin to deal with it (I am type 2) and my IR returns more quickly than if I stayed low carb.

Does that make sense?

Of course, since you are T1 you are injecting insulin instead of having an over-helpful pancreas like I do, but I presume the principle remains the same - because it is insulin that causes IR (raised levels for extended periods), and that can come from a needle or the pancreas, the effect is going to be similar.

Reactions: ScarletMalena

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I'm type 1 diagnosed 6 years ago. As I've said before I spent a long time in depression and abusing my body one way through binge eating. Long story short I was then this year diagnosed with insulin resistance as a result of this and put on Metformin 500mg breakfast and evening meal.

I've heard the best way to deal with this is through exercise. I'm very unfit so for me this would be a 20mins walk to begin with.

My question is as my non work days are pretty much free when would I be best going for my walk..pre meal or post meal? Which would get better results with the insulin resistance? Thanks

That would depend on what your BS normally does at certain times of the day, and also possibly what insulin you're on. I'm on a pump now and using porcine insulin but when I was on Humalog I was warned about possible hypoglycaemia if I exercised too close to a meal bolus.

If you're not used to exercise, I'd choose a time when you're pretty confident your BS will be normal to slightly high, start slow and take hypo treatments with you and see how you go.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure I take levimer and novorapid. I think I'm going to start with 20mins after breakfast and evening meal and see how I go.

Thanks everyone

I imagine it would be similar with Novorapid. Don't be afraid to take your blood meter and test if you're at all unsure about how it'll go. If you get into a routine you should learn what works for you and whether you need to eat a little extra beforehand, etc :)

Enjoy your walking :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the main gain in bettering insuline resistance through excercise is by getting all ones mucles in the best shape ever... in average people that do get their main bigger mucles in shape and action can better their insuline resistance with about 30% as I have excamined the subject for personal knowledge,
But that´ll mean for instance to weight train the bigger mucle groups...
of cause all excercise do matter to some extend... but having some handweights at home and using them daily, will be a good way to add to the walking every day... and maybe also having some of these giant elastics that one can use to make resistance in excercising ones legs if one does not have time or energy to go to a gym...or fitness-center

Last edited:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I wouldn't worry too much about when you can fit your allotted 20mins of exercise in and instead think about how you can increase the amount of activity in your daily life. This can mean taking the stairs instead of the lift, walking instead of taking the bus, make a conscious effort to move around the house/office more etc. The little steps can add up to give you a significant boost in activity level. Adding in a further 20mins will of course be very beneficial, but don't overlook the benefit of just moving around more.

Technically, the best way to reduce insulin resistance is by combining both low and high intensity exercise together (that can just be as simple as walking quickly for thirty seconds followed by 30 seconds slow walking to get your breath back). Building muscle will also make a significant improvement.

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I started exercising properly about 2 years ago, and it helps...a lot! Definitely makes you feel better as well! Goodluck with this :)