Type 1 keto

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all

Hubby has type 1 diabetes - was diagnosed around 10 years ago now at age 22.

He has struggled for the past few years with highs and lows often yo-yo'ing and feeling rubbish as a result. He also suffers with health anxiety which hasn't helped.

Recently, he's been making a real effort to eat healthier and has cut carbs dramatically after discovering Dr. Bernstein. He has seen a real improvement in his sugars and stability however he has had a tingling in his feet and is urinating more. Has anybody else experienced this? He has been keeping an eye on his ketones and these have not been above 0.3

Thank you for reading

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @diabeticwife1991 and welcome to the forums. It sounds like your husband is lucky to have a supportive partner.

We can't diagnosse here but I would say that increased urination is normally associated with high blood sugars, not improved ones, so I would suggest he sees his GP about that. ( I have to say that my bg control was very poor in my pre glucometer teens and I used to get a fair number of urinary tract infections)

Good luck to your husband and congratulations to him on his improved control. At just 22 I'd hope (possibly naively) that he's be eligible for a pump if he wishes one and also that he is using a libre or dexcom.

And he is very welcome to join the forums himself for support and encouragement.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Hubby has type 1 diabetes - was diagnosed around 10 years ago now at age 22.

He has struggled for the past few years with highs and lows often yo-yo'ing and feeling rubbish as a result. He also suffers with health anxiety which hasn't helped.

Recently, he's been making a real effort to eat healthier and has cut carbs dramatically after discovering Dr. Bernstein. He has seen a real improvement in his sugars and stability however he has had a tingling in his feet and is urinating more. Has anybody else experienced this? He has been keeping an eye on his ketones and these have not been above 0.3

Thank you for reading

When cutting carbs, it can be quite common for urination to increase for a while. The reason for that is carbs hold water in the digestive tract, as the food goes through, whereas with reduced carbs, the fluid comes to the outside quicker.

Obviously that's an overly simplified potential explanation, but it is important whilst going through those changes in routine that we keep our fluids up, to prevent dehydration.

It usually settles.

Robaloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also 22 on low carb. Low carb requires some knowledge, eg almost everything has carbs, you just need to know how much do you can fairly dose it. It just be sure he’s taking the right amount on insulin as it can be deceiving.

Maybe he’s drinking more? Eg tea/coffee/ any sort of drink? It’s a good way to curb hunger so maybe he’s subconsciously doing it and needing to pee more? I pee almost constantly as I drink water all day, but sugars are stable.

If it’s a recent change it could just be his body adjusting to new foods in his gut or lack of foods that retain water. As long as sugars are good and his doctor says there isn’t a problem then I wouldn’t worry too much.
Tingling can be a sign of high blood sugars so whenever he feels it just double check his sugar and maybe take a walk to get some blood flow going. Good luck!