Type 1: No insulin for a protein meal

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

I'm Type 1. I've done very well at getting my BG under control. Some days I don't have any insulin with any of my meals all day as I don't have any carbs and I maintain my BGs at around 6.2
I do however always take my long acting insulin everyday. Is what I'm doing ok?
Thanks in advance x

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope so, Ive just cut down carbs further to VLC. Only needed one meal adjustment of 2u and the basal yesterday! Its pretty liberating not being on 8 jabs a day chasing the carbs.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I'm Type 1. I've done very well at getting my BG under control. Some days I don't have any insulin with any of my meals all day as I don't have any carbs and I maintain my BGs at around 6.2
I do however always take my long acting insulin everyday. Is what I'm doing ok?
Thanks in advance x

It looks very creative... and if it don´t affect the next days stability in regulation insuline, I know nothing of type 1 diabetes , but your idea could maybe if used every other day and not damaging the overall control be a new creative way to give diabetic type 1 a way of having their general numbers go down and in that way prevent more from getting the horrible long term damage from higher blood glucose... I think to me it looks like a very creative and interesting strategy...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @luzanmurphy_, I'm not sure if you're aware, but your profile has you down for a type 2 diabetic. Even though your opening post for this thread states otherwise.

Cheers,
Grant

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can change your diabetes type in settings :)

In the absence of carbs, many Type 1s need insulin to deal with protein. I can see you've mentioned your BS stays around 6.2 - how often do you test each day?

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It looks very creative... and if it don´t affect the next days stability in regulation insuline, I know nothing of type 1 diabetes , but your idea could maybe if used every other day and not damaging the overall control be a new creative way to give diabetic type 1 a way of having their general numbers go down and in that way prevent more from getting the horrible long term damage from higher blood glucose... I think to me it looks like a very creative and interesting strategy...

Thanks Freema. I just feel the less insulin I'm pumping into me the better. And the healthier my meals must be too

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Freema. I just feel the less insulin I'm pumping into me the better. And the healthier my meals must be too

I dont think insuline is bad in any way as long as it is the adequate amount, but if one has excess insuline I think it is bad and if one has too little it is bad.

The higher blood glucose it the main disaster I think for diabetics type 1, as for type 2 it is both the higher blood glucose and the very often 6-10 times higher insulin levels compared to healthy persons in general.

Just the problem is that type2´s insuline is not really useful and the system doesn´t work like it should. so insuline "poisoning" if well regulated shouldn´t be just as bad an isue to type 1 as to type 2, because you all the time regulate your insuline levels, where type 2 can not do that at all, except from when fasting, and sometimes even for up to 3 days before it makes a real difference.
that said I think you type 1 have a much harder job all day long by all the regulation the whole day 24 hours around, and your idea could make a little relaxation some days come into the picture too, if it works

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @luzanmurphy_ I gather from your comments that you are late onset T1, as you were misdiagnosed T2. I don't know if you've met @wiserkurtious ? He's also late onset T1 and has been managing his condition by careful diet so hasn't yet needed much insulin.

Reactions: wiserkurtious

luzanmurphy_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @luzanmurphy_ I gather from your comments that you are late onset T1, as you were misdiagnosed T2. I don't know if you've met @wiserkurtious ? He's also late onset T1 and has been managing his condition by careful diet so hasn't yet needed much insulin.

Hi Tim
Yes that is correct. No I haven't spoken to wiserkurtious, but by the sounds of it I'm pretty much doing what he's doing. Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @luzanmurphy_ Well done those levels sounds great ;) If it works then just trust your meter and keep doing what you are doing.

Unfortunately for me this doesn't work, if I eat protein I still need insulin to manage the gluconeogenesis process, my body seems quite efficient at converting protein to glucose, gathering whatever glucose it can from anything I eat..:banghead:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@luzanmurphy_ . If your BS readings are where you want them and you've got a smile on your face then you've got it cracked ( don't get complacent though, diabetes likes complacency).:):):)

Reactions: Snapsy

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Freema. I just feel the less insulin I'm pumping into me the better.

Providing that your BGL's (both fasting and 2hrs post-prandial) are okay then you should have nothing to worry about. As you are a late onset T1D - you still have a bit of functionality from your pancreas. Studies have shown that injections of insulin combined with a partially working pancreas can protect the undamaged beta cells that you have left.

But, if you're not eating much in the way of carbohydrates - there may be no need for bolus injections providing you have enough basal insulin on-board to do the background work.

Seems like whatever you're doing is working so I'd stick at it:) Remember that to maintain a steady weight and sufficent energy levels on a 'low carb' regime, you will have to substitute the lack of carbs with extra protein and healthy fats. You will find a wealth of information wrt this on the forum.

Good luck @luzanmurphy_

Reactions: Freema

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My endocrinologist and I talked about a very similar subject just yesterday as a matter of fact. Admittedly, I can only explain the theory on a high level.

The theory is that people with type 1 who were diagnosed as children no only have little to no insulin production but they also have an inhibited glucagon response. Consequently, they would often have to bolus for protein.

With those of us who were diagnosed as adults we may very much be type 1 (rather than type 1.5), but our glucagon response is still uninhibited. It's for similar reasons why almost all people with type 2 don't get a blood sugar rise from eating protein.

In laymans terms: insulin brings our blood sugars down while glucagon increases or levels (to avoid hypos). People were diagnosed as children may have issues with both chemicals while people diagnosed later in life only have issues with one. The result is a slightly more manageable disease even though insulin production may be the same.

I'm a perfect example of the theory in that I can run my fasting blood sugar extremely low (around 4.0), yet I have very low risk of hypos. However, i have to avoid highs like every other type 1 and can easily get a 10mmol/l rise if I forget my morning basal injections (I take 10u at night; 5u morning).

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's extremely interesting @TorqPenderloin I was musing today on differences between Type 1s and what the causes could be. I find it fascinating. Thank you for that :)