Type 1: Prescription fine

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crikey,

I have to go downmext monthsscript and tick and initial every item that I need for next month against the item. Both parts are there and this is how we find out if our reviews are due etc as ot prints on the 2nd page of the script. Same with reminders for flu clinics and our PPG meeting dares etc.

Then we have to sign in the same overleaf box and put in the tick for exempt.

This is pretty appalling that some chemists are not making the patient sign for their scripts...

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs couldn't agree more. I was under the impression that either the patient or someone collecting the prescription must sign for it. I wouldn't include the pharmacist in that!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@donnellysdogs couldn't agree more. I was under the impression that either the patient or someone collecting the prescription must sign for it. I wouldn't include the pharmacist in that!
So, there's an interesting question. If the patient never ticked the box claiming to hold a medical exemption card, because the pharmacist ticked it on their behalf, surely it's the pharmacist and not the patient who is committing "fraud" and should be fined?

Reactions: 11 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, there's an interesting question. If the patient never ticked the box claiming to hold a medical exemption card, because the pharmacist ticked it on their behalf, surely it's the pharmacist and not the patient who is committing "fraud" and should be fined?
It's certainly can't be right I'm definitely asking the question next time I'm in

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That's an interesting point and a possible loophole in getting out of paying a fine, but how would you prove that they ticked it on your behalf, that would be the tricky part IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's an interesting point and a possible loophole in getting out of paying a fine, but how would you prove that they ticked it on your behalf, that would be the tricky part IMHO.
Perhaps could be proved as you also have to sign.

iHs

As far as I am aware, anyone can sign the back of a prescription on behalf of someone so technically, there isnt anything wrong in that and as my pharmacist knows that I am exempt as my exemption card details are on a databse, thats why the prescription gets dispensed. However, on my last prescription before Christmas, I was asked to sign the prescription declaration myself but wasnt told why.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I am aware, anyone can sign the back of a prescription on behalf of someone so technically, there isnt anything wrong in that and as my pharmacist knows that I am exempt as my exemption card details are on a databse, thats why the prescription gets dispensed. However, on my last prescription before Christmas, I was asked to sign the prescription declaration myself but wasnt told why.

Right, but if anyone gets a fine when they say it was the pharmacist thar ticked the box, and the patient or someone collecting the prescription for them did not sign then I would argue that they are not guilty.

iHs

I agree that there is a potential loophole here and it just goes to show that there is too much presuming. Asking someone if they are exempt is one thing but asking if someone is exempt and hav ethey got a valid exemption card to confirm it, is another. If more people were asked to show their exemption card in the first place, then all this fine business would not happen.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The whole thing is a big mess. All due to the ambiguity of the process of claiming free prescription on medical grounds. How ridiculous that someone is prescribed drugs for diabetes, but prosecuted for not having the document to prove their entitlement. Maybe we all need to get our MPs involved. Also inform local media and GP surgeries to get the information out to everyone.

Seems that everyone is being labelled as frauds. People who have a legitimate reason to have free prescription are being treated in the same way as those who deliberately set out to deceive. I still believe that some quango is raking in funds from easy targets and showing in their statistics that they have caught and fined x number of 'prescription cheats'.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is what we've put out on tbe fromt page of our gp newletter:

Exemption Certificates and Penalty Charges

You can get all your NHS prescriptions free if you have a valid medical exemption certificate because you have:
a permanent fistula (for example, caecostomy, colostomy, laryngos-tomy or ileostomy) which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance;
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s Disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential;
diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism;
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone;
hypoparathyroidism;
myasthenia gravis;
myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement);
epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy;
a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person; or
cancer and are undergoing treatment for:
cancer;
the effects of cancer; or,
the effects of cancer treatment.
Some people are entitled to free prescriptions because of their age, income or medical condition. You are eligible for free NHS prescriptions if you:
are aged 60 or over; are aged under 16; are aged 16 to 18 and in full-time education; have a medical exemption certificate because your condition is on the list; you or your partner are on Income Support or you can qualify via other benefits or tax credits.

How to apply
If you suffer from one of the specified conditions ask for an application form FP92A, available from your doctor's surgery. You need to fill in parts 1 and 2 and your doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) will sign to confirm the information you've given is correct.

Penalty charges and Prosecutions
Anyone found to have wrongly claimed help with health costs will now face A PENALTY CHARGE and, in some cases, prosecution under powers introduced by the Health Act 1999.
Penalty charges are now being imposed nationally upon patients who may have these illnesses, are claiming free prescriptions, but have not applied for or renewed their exemption cards. There are many people that have illnesses such as diabetes that have had penalty charges for not having valid exemption cards.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what we've put out on tbe fromt page of our gp newletter:

Exemption Certificates and Penalty Charges

You can get all your NHS prescriptions free if you have a valid medical exemption certificate because you have:
a permanent fistula (for example, caecostomy, colostomy, laryngos-tomy or ileostomy) which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance;
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s Disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential;
diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism;
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone;
hypoparathyroidism;
myasthenia gravis;
myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement);
epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy;
a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person; or
cancer and are undergoing treatment for:
cancer;
the effects of cancer; or,
the effects of cancer treatment.
Some people are entitled to free prescriptions because of their age, income or medical condition. You are eligible for free NHS prescriptions if you:
are aged 60 or over; are aged under 16; are aged 16 to 18 and in full-time education; have a medical exemption certificate because your condition is on the list; you or your partner are on Income Support or you can qualify via other benefits or tax credits.

How to apply
If you suffer from one of the specified conditions ask for an application form FP92A, available from your doctor's surgery. You need to fill in parts 1 and 2 and your doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) will sign to confirm the information you've given is correct.

Penalty charges and Prosecutions
Anyone found to have wrongly claimed help with health costs will now face A PENALTY CHARGE and, in some cases, prosecution under powers introduced by the Health Act 1999.
Penalty charges are now being imposed nationally upon patients who may have these illnesses, are claiming free prescriptions, but have not applied for or renewed their exemption cards. There are many people that have illnesses such as diabetes that have had penalty charges for not having valid exemption cards.
Great. I used to see notices to this effect in GP surgeries, health centres hospitals, dentists and pharmacies. Not noticed any for a while. Seems you are doing their job for them @donnellysdogs . Well done to you, but they are remiss for not getting the info out already.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Great. I used to see notices to this effect in GP surgeries, health centres hospitals, dentists and pharmacies. Not noticed any for a while. Seems you are doing their job for them @donnellysdogs . Well done to you, but they are remiss for not getting the info out already.

Our practice has got new leaflets out.. But who picks out leaflets???

Our best way of getting news out is on our website and by my volunteers and myself handing out newsletters to patients and doing a health and well being event at our library in January. We also put up newsletters in our town hall offices and community halls too. Anywhere that we can. This is the first page of our newsletter. The next page is about changes to our practice and the nhs etc...

We are all volunteers for the GP patients participation group. Don't get paid, however after 30 years **** good health care for my T1 I want to give something back...

Reactions: 9 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, so it's all YOUR fault, Signy!
;-)

Of course :rolleyes: As it said in my recent and much missed signature picture : " Chaos. Confusion. Disorder. My work here is done! " ;)

On a serious note, I would suggest that people obtain the MEDEX card even if they have been told that they don't need one /it's all automatic/the pharmacist's mum wil sign the prescription. If you have one , then you have one. No letters demanding dosh through the letter box.

When I changed areas recently, the new pharmacy asked to see my card the first time I used it for a prescription, and since then have not. Prompted by this thread I asked why this was so on Saturday, and was told that the card details had been entered into the pharmacy database, so though I still have to tick the box and sign, there is no need for them to view the card again until it expires. Should I use another pharmacy though, I would need to show the card again .

@Pipp wrote :
Seems that everyone is being labelled as frauds. People who have a legitimate reason to have free prescription are being treated in the same way as those who deliberately set out to deceive. I still believe that some quango is raking in funds from easy targets and showing in their statistics that they have caught and fined x number of 'prescription cheats'.

I agree. It's a mess, and has been handled badly . No surprise there :rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course :rolleyes: As it said in my recent and much missed signature picture : " Chaos. Confusion. Disorder. My work here is done! " ;)

On a serious note, I would suggest that people obtain the MEDEX card even if they have been told that they don't need one /it's all automatic/the pharmacist's mum wil sign the prescription. If you have one , then you have one. No letters demanding dosh through the letter box.

When I changed areas recently, the new pharmacy asked to see my card the first time I used it for a prescription, and since then have not. Prompted by this thread I asked why this was so on Saturday, and was told that the card details had been entered into the pharmacy database, so though I still have to tick the box and sign, there is no need for them to view the card again until it expires. Should I use another pharmacy though, I would need to show the card again .

@Pipp wrote :

I agree. It's a mess, and has been handled badly . No surprise there :rolleyes:

Signy
All common sense really. Now we know it is happening all we need to do to avoid the hassle of a nasty letter demanding cash and labelling us frauds is to get an application for exemption in pronto.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I have actually never been asked in all those years I am living in the UK already. But as someone with diabetic stuff and thyroid tablets on my prescriptions I think it was clear that I am exempt. I sort of knew that you could get some card or whatever from somewhere to prove that I am exempt but I didn't know where from and no doctor ever told me (and to be fair I didn't ask either lol). I ordered this card just before Xmas and it actually arrived between Xmas and New Year and I've shown it to my pharmacist yesterday and she made a note of the number on my prescription. Think I just managed to escape the fine!!! I guess we all agree it's a stupid thing especially that you have to renew it every 5 years, but some laws are just cr*p and really unnecessary and I guess that's one of them. If you decide to apply for a card it goes really fast and then you're obviously on the safe side. And I guess I'll get mine out every time at any pharmacy now - just because I can;)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, if you have a card and can't find it call 0845 601 8076 and they will send you a new one, as the nice lady on the phone did for me earlier.
Just bumping this phone number.

It seems to be for Prepayment Cards only?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
NHSBA enquiry line is on 0300 330 1341. Also:

Refunds

If you have to pay for any prescriptions before your certificate arrives you may be able to claim a refund. Ask your pharmacist at the time you pay for an FP57 receipt and refund claim form. You cannot get one later

So it might be worth all of us requesting these FP57 forms until we have valid cards?

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long does an exemption card take to arrive? I sent my form off a week before Xmas and it's still not arrived. I understand this is a busy time of year but should it have arrived by now?