Type 1 trying to get back on the rails

Gmitch-uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have just joined this forum after deciding it's time to sort myself out.

I have been Type 1 for 8 years and really if I'm honest the last 3 years I have not taken good enough care of myself.

When I was first diagnosed I put everything in to finding out about diabetes control and carb counting and taking between 10 and 15 samples a day, I knew exactly how much insulin to take with most foods and i was doing great, I was determined to make sure I could control this horrible disease.

Then I became complacent and began to slip, the 10 samples went down to 5, then 2, then sometimes i was not sampling for days.

I used to be horrified about going over 10, then suddenly i thought i could just give myself a bigger dose of Rapid.

I remember by Diabetic Nurse telling me that "Diabetes will not change your life"... how wrong was she, not a day goes by without me thinking "why me", and what happens if my kids get it??

But no more, this cannot go on. Reading some of the posts has made me determined again, and this time I will not slip,this time I have to be in it to the end, and not just when I feel like it.

It's forums like this thatg really do make a difference, im so happy I stumbled across it, because its given me an almighty kick up the bum.

Graham

Cody

I have been type1 for 25 years and only really just started taking care of myself and testing sugars regularly a year ago. Never really took much notice of how bad the management of my diabetes was until I went to my clinic for regular blood tests and chats with doctor and dietician. Everything went fine and told my hba1c was fine @6.3 but a few weeks later I was told to go back and speak to doctor. My bm was 1.2 when blood was taken so was told I should not really have been responsive. After a few months an insulin pump was advised as my lantus was dropping sugar levels during the night when sleeping. GOD SEND AND NEVER LOOKED BACK

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, ive been like that now n again, but I want to get my control back mainly because I want children, I seem yo go months of good times thrn slip bavk inyo the highs n lows which drive me insane. I just want to have normal bs where I dont want to have to need anyones help but do it on my own, im hopefully going to be given the oppurtunity to have the pump to help me, I just need to wait on yhe referal from my gp to get through

:) Kelly

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App