Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My last HbA1c was 7% which is good for me :) Having another one in December, bit worried for that because around 3/4 of my blood results are above 10.0 which for me is not good and can't seem to get them down below that even though I do carb counting.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last HbA1c was 7% which is good for me :) Having another one in December, bit worried for that because around 3/4 of my blood results are above 10.0 which for me is not good and can't seem to get them down below that even though I do carb counting.

hi, it might be easier if you start a "help me" thread in T1, to draw attention by the clever T1 people here .
but from reading, they would suggest you start with overnight and 'miss a meal' Basal testing before you work out your I:C ....or you are chasing your tail
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea what the numbers mean but just got the results from my first test.
They were 96 at diagnosis and have gone down to 39.

Going for another one in January to check it doesn't go too low but i was told they were better than expected

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hba1c is 8.2% what to do?
lchf, work it to your diet,,no grain=rice, grain product =bread pasta etc, starch veg like potato and corn.... sugary stuff fruit and juice

eat lots of other veg and fats/oils, normal protein
some peas beans lentils ..chickpea flour and egg pancakes as roti type bread

it’s a long page and a video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

David01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who tell me what diabetics are allowed to do and eat and (more importantly) what diabetics can't do.
My most recent one was 7.7%, which my GP said has put me within the band of acceptable control. I'd found that over the last ten years mine had deteriorated from an excellent 6.0% to a terrible 9.3%. Having had to have laser treatment to my left eye in the last twelve months I decided enough was enough and finally managed to get myself on a DAFNE course in January this year. They seem to be in high demand in my area. My day-to-day blood sugars have improved although I'm hardly ever within the target ranges set by DAFNE. So I'm looking forward to a further improvement when I'm achieving the target ranges more often. So in my case DAFNE appears to have been a success.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea what the numbers mean but just got the results from my first test.
They were 96 at diagnosis and have gone down to 39.

Going for another one in January to check it doesn't go too low but i was told they were better than expected
Well done, lots of hard work to achieve that.

Just had mine done again for the new pump, still at 42, so the last 2 months of buggering about with the unsuccessful pump and then back onto MDI and relatively poor control has not had an adverse effect

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My most recent one was 7.7%, which my GP said has put me within the band of acceptable control. I'd found that over the last ten years mine had deteriorated from an excellent 6.0% to a terrible 9.3%. Having had to have laser treatment to my left eye in the last twelve months I decided enough was enough and finally managed to get myself on a DAFNE course in January this year. They seem to be in high demand in my area. My day-to-day blood sugars have improved although I'm hardly ever within the target ranges set by DAFNE. So I'm looking forward to a further improvement when I'm achieving the target ranges more often. So in my case DAFNE appears to have been a success.

Well done, nt quite where you want to be but you've obviously got the motivation to change and that's where things start.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well that was a fun little conversation with the surgery test results line.

"Hi, I'm ringing about my Hba1C result"
"Ah yes, that says 'Good Diabetic Control'"
"Okay, thanks, what are the numbers?"
"Oh, I'm not sure. You might need to speak to the doctor."
"Are there any numbers on there?"
"Yes, Good Range 48-59."
"Okay, any others?"
"Oh yes. 44."
"Thanks very much."

So, my Hba1C result is 44 or 6.2%. That's not too bad! I'm quite pleased with it.

Reactions: 12 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had blood work drawn on Monday, and have the results in my hands today!

I was diagnosed in May 2014 at 13% which gave me an average of 18 mmol/L for the 3 months leading up, which i really noticed my symptoms and felt awful.

I had my first check up in August and was able to get down to 5.7% (6.5 mmol/L), and the doc told me i didnt need to be back until March! I thought everything was good but early December i was starting to get curious to see if maybe that first result was a fluke since i was still new to insulin and was on a roller coaster haha

I called my doc and asked for an appointment and set it all up for the next day, and now the results are in...

Dec 15th HbA1c result = 5.4% (6.0 mmol/L).

So i guess it wasn't a fluke reading after all. I am fairly happy here and feel its something i can certainly sustain, in fact i never changed anything about my life, activity or eating habits! Fairly happy about this right now, next step is to get rid of post meal spikes!

Reactions: 5 people

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Had blood work drawn on Monday, and have the results in my hands today!

I was diagnosed in May 2014 at 13% which gave me an average of 18 mmol/L for the 3 months leading up, which i really noticed my symptoms and felt awful.

I had my first check up in August and was able to get down to 5.7% (6.5 mmol/L), and the doc told me i didnt need to be back until March! I thought everything was good but early December i was starting to get curious to see if maybe that first result was a fluke since i was still new to insulin and was on a roller coaster haha

I called my doc and asked for an appointment and set it all up for the next day, and now the results are in...

Dec 15th HbA1c result = 5.4% (6.0 mmol/L).

So i guess it wasn't a fluke reading after all. I am fairly happy here and feel its something i can certainly sustain, in fact i never changed anything about my life, activity or eating habits! Fairly happy about this right now, next step is to get rid of post meal spikes!
Walking the green mile ... My results are in on Monday .

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
My latest result (October) was 62 or 7.8% - down 0.3% since May :)

I've got a lot of work to do, but the plan is to get to 7% by the spring and 6.5% by summer 2015. Changing to LCHF this month as part of the strategy.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s - How would i know that ?

I was diagnosed last May, so its been a couple days over 7 months if that means anything...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was guessing based on your Hba1c readings, all of which fall into a low percentile for type 1s. My reasoning was that you have made little change to your diet or lifestyle and still have astonishingly good results. I recall when first diagnosed it took me some time to get to a decent Hba1c level as my bs had a tendency to be rather up and down.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah maybe... I have always been very active, getting to the gym 3-4 times a week, and i love cycling lol I have always been slim, and have been a vegetarian for the last decade. In an average meal i rarely take in more then 50g of carbs, most meals are usually 30-40, and I don't snack between (if i do its on veggies) and i haven't really had any alcohol since i was diagnosed... So perhaps my diet and lifestyle was just already diabetic friendly ?

I have never really 'liked' food... i always ate because i had too, so i would only eat what i needed to to be healthy and full and stop... I don't particularly like sweets, junk food, or fast food either.

I do get highs, and lows like everyone else, and usually when i go high i have found jumping on my bike for 20-30 minutes will take my sugars right back down to acceptable levels and tends to work faster then insulin, which usually takes an hour or 2 to see any result lol

I will keep posting my A1cs and i guess time will tell for sure though :/ I really hope I am not on my honeymoon though haha

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
@tim2000s - How would i know that ?

I was diagnosed last May, so its been a couple days over 7 months if that means anything...

OMG, it's a whipper-snapper! :hilarious:

Well, my sincere commiserations at joining the club - although, you're on the cusp of such an excellent time to join it, what with all the R&D into causes, treatments and cures.

Neximus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember that HbA1c is an average over approx 3 months. It could be the result is great at 42 (6%) but might be an average of lots of v highs and lots of hypos (not good). The aim is to have as flat a daily blood sugar as possible within your diabetic team's target range.