Type 1 - what to have for breakfast gluten free

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting on behalf of my mum, who is type 1.
She's had some stomach issues lately, and has found going gluten free has helped a bit.
She always used to have weetabix in the mornings...that suited her blood sugars.
Now she doesn't know what to have.
She's tried all sorts of cereal...cornflakes, porridge, oatibix....then she has a low sugar about an hour later.
I can't remember what her insulin ratio is...

Plus another issue is that she wakes several times a night feeling hungry...what could she have last thing to tie her over til morning?

Many thanks

Reactions: ashleyneildas

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If she reckons gluten is a problem then she should she if she can get her docs to test for coeliac (gluten-intolerance) as it is not entirely uncommon to have both T1 and coeliac - before I was diagnosed with coeliac I also suffered from hunger a lot because in me it was actually causing me not to absorb everything I ate and I was actually unknowingly suffering from malnutrition due to it.

Personally I have gluten-free cornflakes (normal corn-flakes are not gluten-free) as I have no time for anything cooked in the morning, but it doesn't make my wallet happy - and some of them definitely don't taste very good.
A cooked breakfast if she has time without the bread could work though (or get gluten-free bread (also pricey as heck)), and just take the relevant amount of insulin.

It may just be that the different breakfasts are taking more time to be absorbed but I'm make a wild guess here

Reactions: Mathewted

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to eat Weetabix a lot as a kid because it has specified, consistent carbs and it was at least repeatable without weighing it.

I've been on a long journey with nutrition and lifestyle, having had co-morbidities of Type 1 diabetes , and I now eat only real food and so virtually nothing with an ingredients list.

For my first meal of the day - call it breakfast - I usually have a large bowl of fruit chopped banana, apple/pear, mango/papaya, grapes, dares/figs, melon/cucumber with quite a bit of non-starchy vegetables (think salads) and I inject either all or part of my insulin dose an amount of time before eating to reduce the glucose spike which, tbf, would've occurred when eating Weetabix.

I might have chia seeds or walnuts but only a few for the omega 3 fats.

Hope your mother is doing well.

ATB
Mat

TLDR, sorry:

The drop in glucose level happens to me but in a manageable way. My injected insulin starts working, my food starts to be absorbed, my glucose level goes up and then back down, if I need to I top up with a fig or two or possibly top up the insulin. Insulin to carb ratio was 1unit to 10g but is now about 1unit to 15g+.

On not being hungry during the night there is a school of thought that says iften people may not be hungry because they lack nutrients but for other reasons such as thirst, boredom (hardly likely during sleep I guess), or craving carbs due to low blood glucose for example.

If your mother eats a few hours before bed without snacking after she may find she is fine with an empty stomach before bed and possibly sleeps better too.

Others say that eating protein makes them feel fuller for longer, and adding fibre may also have a similar effect while also allowing the microbes in the gut to feed in it and deliver energy back hours later.

Hope that helps

Mat

Last edited: