Type 1

Laurenbrown1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, you're not failing :) Don't ever let a high reading make you feel bad about yourself. Type 1 is hard. If you spot the high and deal with it, then that's what's important :)

For me, I link tests with food and planning. So, I get up, think about the day ahead and test my BS. Then before I eat, I think about the carbs in what I'm having, test my BS and do my bolus. I link the test and injection with food - just something I have to do before a meal. If you don't forget to inject then perhaps you could link your test to that?

If you're subconsciously 'making excuses' not to,test, then link testing with taking control of your life and beating the diabetes back down where it belongs. Test for yourself - never for your doctors or anyone else.
im going to try writing it all dwn in a notebook then that way if i can look back and see good readings it might encourage me

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been on DAFNE or a similar course?

The beauty of these courses is that you get to see the whole process of insulin and carbs broke down and ultimately you see all your calculations actually working. For me and most others this is enough to get you motivated to test, purely to see how well you did...ha ha....

Another motivation for me personally is trying to avoid high blood sugars, mainly because I really feel it when i go high and I just have no energy, which isn't a option with two young kids....

how do you feel when high?

If you haven't attended a course like DAFNE I would recommend looking into it....

in the meantime, as someone already mentioned....try making the effort to test before just one meal a day, and do that for a few days....and try and record it either on paper or in an app..

and then come back and share your readings.....;)

Laurenbrown1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been on DAFNE or a similar course?

The beauty of these courses is that you get to see the whole process of insulin and carbs broke down and ultimately you see all your calculations actually working. For me and most others this is enough to get you motivated to test, purely to see how well you did...ha ha....

Another motivation for me personally is trying to avoid high blood sugars, mainly because I really feel it when i go high and I just have no energy, which isn't a option with two young kids....

how do you feel when high?

If you haven't attended a course like DAFNE I would recommend looking into it....

in the meantime, as someone already mentioned....try making the effort to test before just one meal a day, and do that for a few days....and try and record it either on paper or in an app..

and then come back and share your readings.....;)
i was told i was going to get a ketter about the DAFNE course for 2017 i havent gotten a letter yet, ive been on a "kick-off" course which is all about carb counting.

i feel like **** when my bloods are high, i feel sick and very tired but when i feel like this i just know im going to get a bad reading so i dont test i just take insulin.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's my clinic too, its a small world......

They definitely do DAFNE there....

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, there can be some silly waits for the course.....

If your able to travel Monklands may have a course earlier......

Do you know anything about basal doses.....?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i was told i was going to get a ketter about the DAFNE course for 2017 i havent gotten a letter yet, ive been on a "kick-off" course which is all about carb counting.

i feel like **** when my bloods are high, i feel sick and very tired but when i feel like this i just know im going to get a bad reading so i dont test i just take insulin.

There are online courses too while you're waiting:

http://www.bertieonline.org.uk

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
is it? i see Dr Kate Reilly. it was her that said to me about the course

I think my consultant is Dr Blackhurst, not seen him in ages though as hes been off on the sick.......

As far as Basal doses go this is the long acting insulin, so Lantus or Levemir.....

This is the most important dose as it this that hold your blood sugar levels steady in the absence of food or meal time insulin....

if you can get this right your putting yourself in a great position to tackle the insulin you will need for the food that goes in..

unfortunately as you haven't been trained it might be difficult to achieve......ultimately your looking to skip a meal and test at regular intervals to see what your levels are doing without food on board.......this will tell you whether you need more or less basal...

the best place to start doing these tests is overnight as most people wont have food digesting then.....

Is your basal dose split in to two separate doses or is it just one...?

Laurenbrown1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my consultant is Dr Blackhurst, not seen him in ages though as hes been off on the sick.......

As far as Basal doses go this is the long acting insulin, so Lantus or Levemir.....

This is the most important dose as it this that hold your blood sugar levels steady in the absence of food or meal time insulin....

if you can get this right your putting yourself in a great position to tackle the insulin you will need for the food that goes in..

unfortunately as you haven't been trained it might be difficult to achieve......ultimately your looking to skip a meal and test at regular intervals to see what your levels are doing without food on board.......this will tell you whether you need more or less basal...

the best place to start doing these tests is overnight as most people wont have food digesting then.....

Is your basal dose split in to two separate doses or is it just one...?
ahh i see, im taking levemir, 22 in the morning 18 at night. never knew it was called basal.

i done those wee tests, i was told not to eat after my dinner and to skip breakfast or have a carb free breakfast to see if i was getting the right dose