Type 1s: Diet not working

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Low carb is not working for me could use some advice on how to lose some weight. I know sometimes i don't eat enough and bs is always dropping low but i never feel hungry has anybody ever felt like this.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@dex44lego9 Are you counting calories too? How many carbs are you eating, and how much weight do you want to lose?

I find MyFitnessPal very useful for recording food and spotting things to improve.

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply i never count calories have no idea how many carbs i eat but want to lose few pounds . what is your fitnesspal i have never heard tell of this.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For someone who never eats enough anyway, losing weight can be difficult by any means. It's hard to cut down when you eat little anyway. Smoothies worked for me really well. 2 a day and a really small evening meal. I lost nearly 2 stone in 2 months and I only ate once a day beforehand and couldn't lose weight.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't know how many carbs you eat, how do you know you're low carb? And that you're low enough that it's not working? Not sarcasm, just a question

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a look on the Low Carb Diet Forum? There's some really tasty meals on there - possibly what you have tried so far has been a little bland?

Ask your DN if there is a DAFNE course being run near you; although they don't currently advocate the LCHF lifestyle, their methods of teaching carb counting are very good and I found their 5-day course very much worthwhile.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Have you had a look on the Low Carb Diet Forum? There's some really tasty meals on there - possibly what you have tried so far has been a little bland?

Ask your DN if there is a DAFNE course being run near you; although they don't currently advocate the LCHF lifestyle, their methods of teaching carb counting are very good and I found their 5-day course very much worthwhile.
Could you tell me what DAFNE stands for please.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb is not working for me could use some advice on how to lose some weight. I know sometimes i don't eat enough and bs is always dropping low but i never feel hungry has anybody ever felt like this.

Can you list what you normally eat and it will be easier for people to help

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's important to set a daily carb total and then use the meter and scales to see what works for you. Many find they need to be below 150gm/ day of carbs and possibly a lot less. Do you read packing for the total carb content?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply i never count calories have no idea how many carbs i eat but want to lose few pounds . what is your fitnesspal i have never heard tell of this.

Then keep a food diary for a few days so you can see how many carbs you're eating, and then consider reducing that number.

MyFitnessPal is an app but they may also have a website version.

Obviously, you'll need to adjust your insulin if you reduce your carbs so make sure you're ok doing that.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don't you carb count for your insulin doses? That should give you a rough idea of how many carbs you eat. If you have no idea I can't really understand how you think you are low carbing. If you have no idea, that means you could bea eating any amount of carbs.

What is it you think low carb should be working for? Weight loss or blood sugar control. Either one really requires a decent log of what your are taking in so you can analyse how that impacts on you. Myftitnesspal makes the log keeping pretty easy.

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks for all replies what i meant about low carb have tried it twice but keep going back to my usual food of weetabix 1 slice whole grain bread pieces of fruit like oranges or pears sandwich of tuna sweet corn chicken or scrambled egg and toast I never eat big meal and only eat dinner on Sunday.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for your reply i never count calories have no idea how many carbs i eat

Register with the following website, it's an on-line carb counting course similar to what is taught on the DAFNE course, it should give you the basics of carb counting and adjusting your insulin to suit:

http://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

Reactions: dex44lego9

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thanks for all replies what i meant about low carb have tried it twice but keep going back to my usual food of weetabix 1 slice whole grain bread pieces of fruit like oranges or pears sandwich of tuna sweet corn chicken or scrambled egg and toast I never eat big meal and only eat dinner on Sunday.

@noblehead has given a good link for carb counting. I also suggest you get the book Think Like A Pancreas as it's the Type 1 'bible' and very good.

As I suggested above, keep a food diary and then look to,see where you can make improvements. Sometimes small changes can help a lot.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The way you are eating you are reliant on carbs for your energy needs, so you will never start to burn fat.
Low carb normally means no grains, so no bread or Weetabix, no sweetcorn - it is a grain not a vegetable, no supersweet fruits and no starchy vegetables.
There are lots of things you could eat, some which might seem strange, such as replacing rice with chopped cauliflower, but they do work.

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,
I would definitely start carb counting and look up for the foods which have the least amount of carbs in them, or adjust insulin intake. I found that eating the food that have the lowest amount of carbs helped me reduce my insulin intake which then lead to weight loss. To help weight loss you could also do more exercise, even if you start at doing a little, like going for a walk and so on by building it up.

I hope this helps

Goodluck :):woot:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Weighing your food and plugging in the weight on
Www.calorieking.com works great.
Then you can see how big a portion you choose and what the carb count is

Some foods aren't even worth cooking and the portions are too small and could be substituted with other foods that have a lower carb value.
Like exchanging broccoli for bok choy, mushrooms or asparagus. I get more bang for my buck