Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was basing it on my current rota that I’m not at the Thai place until 18:00, so I booked it a week ago for tomorrow. Cafe manager was last minute decision to get me in on Saturday. But bf said he’ll be home tomorrow so he can wait for my parcel. :) I had a look on the calendar and it’s two weeks tomorrow until pump therapy, hehe. I don’t know if “new year, new me” is appropriate in this matter but I have a bottle of rose cider, so cheers. :)

Reactions: Japes and DCUKMod

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@karen8967 I know your pump is new so maybe it’s the settings? And it’s Christmas and treat time. But if I put on a pod and my BG’s start staying at higher numbers, I switch to a new pod and new placement. I definitely have some specific areas that don’t work very well on my stomach area I use.

Unless of course there is a reason for it not working well. Like when I fell and insulin became water for a few days. That actually turned out my digestion slowed down. I timed it, it took 20 minutes for me to go up 1 point from my favorite hypo treatment, 30-40 minutes for my BGs to start rising. I made sure for those 5-7 days that I was bad to not go hypo and stayed at higher numbers than usual.

Spouses understand more than others, but they never seem to completely get it. I don’t think you can unless you are another type 1? My hubby knows I like to get on my exercise bike when going high or I get irritated at it and has even suggested I change my pod out, but I don’t think they can truly completely understand?

Reactions: karen8967

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
There could be an echo dot war brewing in our house. Child talks to hers and it is heRd by husband’s one. He is diverted from rugby to Ariana Grande songs. In revenge he sets hers to alarm early in the morning.
I find that turning on lights and the radio myself is safer.
If it smoothes the water, I think you can 'teach' these devices to recognise voices - don't ask me how though.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 I know your pump is new so maybe it’s the settings? And it’s Christmas and treat time. But if I put on a pod and my BG’s start staying at higher numbers, I switch to a new pod and new placement. I definitely have some specific areas that don’t work very well on my stomach area I use.

Unless of course there is a reason for it not working well. Like when I fell and insulin became water for a few days. That actually turned out my digestion slowed down. I timed it, it took 20 minutes for me to go up 1 point from my favorite hypo treatment, 30-40 minutes for my BGs to start rising. I made sure for those 5-7 days that I was bad to not go hypo and stayed at higher numbers than usual.

Spouses understand more than others, but they never seem to completely get it. I don’t think you can unless you are another type 1? My hubby knows I like to get on my exercise bike when going high or I get irritated at it and has even suggested I change my pod out, but I don’t think they can truly completely understand?
Thanks marie 2 i dont think my stomach works very well either just seems to be taking ages for numbers to come down and im feeling a bit ****** with the high numbers its early days and i am still learning xx

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Antje77 Grapes with Brussels sprouts sounds different and surprisingly very good.

@MeiChanski Chocolate cake is one of my favorites and not consumed very often! Hmm I might have to pull a piece out of the freezer I have stashed for dessert later now!

My daughter's boyfriend's family asked me to make a GF chocolate cake ( I gave them some of my daughter's birthday cake in October, but not all had a taste) they enjoyed it, but I didn't go near it, because I know my BS would of shot up so high.
I hope you had a lovely Christmas :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks marie 2 i dont think my stomach works very well either just seems to be taking ages for numbers to come down and im feeling a bit ****** with the high numbers its early days and i am still learning xx

Sending 'I hope your number's come down and things will settle down soon' (((((((( HUGS )))))))) x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone, I have been very good over Christmas, no cakes, no Christmas pudding.............yet ( I do love these) a few of chocolates with meals and no big spikes. I was given 3 boxes of Lindor chocolates, one was is a very large box and my all time favourite is the hazelnut, so they should keep me going until Easter !
Baby Cleo loved her toys, especially the ladybird xylophone and I let her use an old phone of mine which she puts to her ear, jabbers away on it, then press a couple of buttons to finish and the waddles off, so adorable <3

I had a wonderful Christmas, one of the best with some lovely thoughtful presents too, Marc Jacobs perfume from my daughter, Calvin Klein Women perfume box set and a trip to see the Mousetrap in London, for 2 in January and a Virgin Experience day of my choice for 2, WOW and I can't wait to do both, as I'm so excited and feel so blessed.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There could be an echo dot war brewing in our house. Child talks to hers and it is heRd by husband’s one. He is diverted from rugby to Ariana Grande songs. In revenge he sets hers to alarm early in the morning.

I bought one for my daughter for Christmas, not my type of thing..............or so I thought, it is pretty cool though and the sound on it is fantastic. So when son came round, he asked it if he was the most handsome man :rolleyes::D and Alexa said something along the lines of ' Beauty comes from within or beauty is in the eye of the beholder' he wasn't chuffed with the response lol, serves him right for asking :hilarious: but all good fun :)

Reactions: Diakat and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Robinredbreast A whole piece of cake would probably make me sick as I am not used to it. I usually would only consume a couple of forkfuls once or twice a day. I might eat a whole cookie at once, but brownies, fudge etc get eaten in small squares. I am actually a very strict vegan and I don’t eat white sugar, no less eggs, butter or dairy, so it is not something that is easily gotten anyways!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
10.7 earlier this morning, I’ll take it because hypos are no fun to start of the day. I made it to the bus stop 30 mins earlier for work, I thought I was going to miss it but I made it. I’ll enjoy a cheeky Starbucks before work because I’m not standing outside in the cold for 30 mins. Bf is coming home today so I’m very excited to see him this afternoon. I heard we are getting chinese tonight, hehe.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oddly, I gifted my wife an Echo show 5? She's been setting it up today as we've been away for a few days chilling out in a dog friendly hotel down near my sister's..

I got it for her to replace the ancient radio alarm clock she keeps by the bed? Lol, it always runs 20 minutes behind "realtime." Inspite of being satellite linked on the clock. The buttons that control it click louder than the built in speaker..
Lol, welcome to the 21st century!

Now this echo (the first in the house.) has a great sound. Built like a little "wedge monitor" with a touch screen on the front. The sub bass shakes the table.. I'm impressed & she's delighted..

However, that device will be unplugged regarding any "intimate relations" going on.. ;)

I learned the lesson years ago when we first moved in to our abode. The prevous owner had an "intercom" unit for the front door? (Assumed, it was to buzz home help in? The previous occupant was quite elderly.)
We'd somehow kicked the handset off the cradle next to the bed.
& whilst going out for a parcel on the doorstep, I could hear the bedside radio comming out of the speaker next to the door... Who knows what else was publicly broadcast to our new neighbours... :hilarious::nailbiting:

Alexa can "do one." ;)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Diabetes not bad and I think Dexcom made it even better. Definitely shallow hypos, where 4 dextrose tablets can fix it. However the alarms are annoying everyone but it’s keeping me alive. I remained between 4.6-7.7 for the majority of the evening and I’m a happy chap. Bf bought a lot of goodies home, a bottle of Portuguese port and a few treats.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

And just why did no-one remind me yesterday was Friday, not Thursday?!? I spent all day convinced it was Thursday and I had 2 days to go before Sunday. Meh.

Still, it was a good not-Thursday with not one single unscheduled stop for hypos over a 15 miles walk. Off to see if I can manage the same today!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone and wishing you a Happy Friday, BS was awful last night, I had a gf individual Christmas pudding and my body went hyper, so more insulin to get in down :rolleyes::mad:
Take care x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon.

That was alot of rum and food, ended up sailing round and round only found out why because someone had fallen asleep on the wheel. Needless to say things now back and sort of ship shape.

Might have to ho raiding for some more food and drink.

Other than bloods been OK.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon. Went for a curry last night, to celebrate my best mate’s birthday. King prawns with hot chilli and garlic, mushroom bhaji and spinach bhaji. All killer, no filler. Bit of a spike after, but came down quickly, so I’ll count that as a win.

Got exams practically the minute I set foot on uni grounds next week, so for now it’s hitting the Anatomy & Physiology and medicolegal textbooks and revision. Ugh.

Reactions: porl69 and Marie 2