Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah my phone should work that's how i'm getting a graph using the smartlog app it's basically a case of for years i have not checked my BG levels i'd just take 20 units of novorapid with every meal then 20 units of levemir when ever i went to sleep no set time. On the 2nd of this month i was admitted to hospital for 9 days i saw some thing's that made me open my eyes plus it was the 3rd time i had to go to hospital for dka it makes me feel worthless

Hey,

There's been a fair few of us come off the rails at some point.
No need to lose faith in yourself.

Slow & steady when tightening up the BG managment. Going at it like a "bull at a gate" can possibly cause damage?
Acclimatise, like decompression..

I learned the hard way. Got away with it for years, changed my ways overnight. Then wound up needing anti-VEGF jabs in the eye balls for a minor "diabetic" issue.. :banghead:

We live & learn. Trick is the longevity to carry on the "lesson." :)

Last edited:

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
These are my levels over the last 7 days had my first proper hypo in today in years. I feel like im having a hypo at 5.9
Screenshot_20200117-224127_SmartLog.jpeg

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey,

There's been a fair few of us come off the rails at some point.
No need to lose faith in yourself.

Slow & steady when tightening up the BG managment. Going at it like a "bull at a gate" can possibly cause damage?
Acclimatise, like decompression..

I learned the hard way. Got away with it for years, changed my ways overnight. Then wound up needing anti-VEGF jabs in the eye balls for a minor "diabetic" issue.. :banghead:

We live & learn. Trick is the longevity to carry on the "lesson." :)
thanks for the advice i'm trying to do it all i.e quit smoking loose weight and control my diabetes a problem i find is not smokingg i tend to snack a lot like i'm craving carbs my food portion size has dropped by half after not eating for 7 days

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
If your body is used to higher numbers you will feel "hypo" symptoms at normal levels because you are not used to it. It will adjust!

Reactions: chris85 type 1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Takeaway completely messed up my BG yesterday and through the night. Slightly my fault that I couldn’t wait for food but it eventually came down into range. But it was a painful 55 mins :(
Sleep wasn’t too much of an issue with a belt and BG sitting at 7.5. Medtronic rep said he’ll call me today to ask if I’m alive and possibly change temp basal.

Reactions: karen8967

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello friends,

Takeaway completely messed up my BG yesterday and through the night. Slightly my fault that I couldn’t wait for food but it eventually came down into range. But it was a painful 55 mins :(
Sleep wasn’t too much of an issue with a belt and BG sitting at 7.5. Medtronic rep said he’ll call me today to ask if I’m alive and possibly change temp basal.
Hope you get it sorted out

Reactions: MeiChanski

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the advice i'm trying to do it all i.e quit smoking loose weight and control my diabetes a problem i find is not smokingg i tend to snack a lot like i'm craving carbs my food portion size has dropped by half after not eating for 7 days

Hi,

You might find it easier doing a two outa 3? You dropped the smokes, well done.
Focus on the BGs logging what you eat, snacks & wot not.. Find out where you are on that score whith BG managment.

Stay active. Bit throwing too many changes into the mix regarding weight focus too may feel like rolerskating during an earthquake? To many variables to stay upright? (Or nailing that jelly to the wall?)

The bedrock/foundation of any MDI regime is getting your basal right. (The long acting insulin.)

When did you last see you doctor?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK? So things just got interesting with the DVLA...

My licence is up for renewal, sent off the DIAB1 form.. Got a letter back that they need me to undergo further eye tests in the next 4 weeks at 1 of four local opticians. For a visual field test..

I already have (at one of the named opticians.) a standard eye test booked for tomorrow regarding prescription lenses..

Inspite of regular checks at an ophthalmologist. Lol who reckons I can still drive.
& there was me getting told I was discharged from treatment from macula edema.
& thought the hassle was done with...

This below outlines why further investigation regarding fitness to drive is needed...

Looking on the bright side. If my licence does get revoked, there is nothing regarding my research legally binding stopping me from jumping on a pushbike to/from work & causing a potential accident.. ;)

image.jpeg

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

You might find it easier doing a two outa 3? You dropped the smokes, well done.
Focus on the BGs logging what you eat, snacks & wot not.. Find out where you are on that score whith BG managment.

Stay active. Bit throwing too many changes into the mix regarding weight focus too may feel like rolerskating during an earthquake? To many variables to stay upright? (Or nailing that jelly to the wall?)

The bedrock/foundation of any MDI regime is getting your basal right. (The long acting insulin.)

When did you last see you doctor?
I'm doing ok with the no smoking but weight portion control and constant hunger is getting hard to deal with. the main thing is trying to figure out my insulin sensitivity ratio. I have being running high BG (i couldn't give you a level because i was not checking) i have just been taking 20 units of levemir at what ever time bed time is so anywhere between 10pm and 3am and 20 units of novorapid with every meal.

It has been over a year since i last saw a doctor or DSN but i'm booked in to get some bloods done next Friday and an appointment to see my new hospital DSN on the 13th of next month then the diabetes doctor in April

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing ok with the no smoking but weight portion control and constant hunger is getting hard to deal with. the main thing is trying to figure out my insulin sensitivity ratio. I have being running high BG (i couldn't give you a level because i was not checking) i have just been taking 20 units of levemir at what ever time bed time is so anywhere between 10pm and 3am and 20 units of novorapid with every meal.

It has been over a year since i last saw a doctor or DSN but i'm booked in to get some bloods done next Friday and an appointment to see my new hospital DSN on the 13th of next month then the diabetes doctor in April

Hi,

It's great you have appointments lined up. We can't advise regarding dosage.

Like you I can be a bit of a "night hawk" with bed timings. Usually down to the music.
My basal dose is timed around 11pm'ish. Personally, I try to keep within that time slot (an hour if so, late?)

I'll level with you.
We all have our personal "way" of dealing with this condition.
Don't be discouraged by not aspiring to some of the wonderful trends from other members tracked on a CGM. That's just a brief moment when the "jelly gets nailed."

That's why we're all here. Discuss, learn, support. :)

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

It's great you have appointments lined up. We can't advise regarding dosage.

Like you I can be a bit of a "night hawk" with bed timings. Usually down to the music.
My basal dose is timed around 11pm'ish. Personally, I try to keep within that time slot (an hour if so, late?)

I'll level with you.
We all have our personal "way" of dealing with this condition.
Don't be discouraged by not aspiring to some of the wonderful trends from other members tracked on a CGM. That's just a brief moment when the "jelly gets nailed."

That's why we're all here. Discuss, learn, support. :)
Iv'e been told to take 20 units of levemir around 10pm 15 of novorapid in the morning then around 12 with lunch and dinner lets just see how tonight goes first proper attempt at carb counting and dosage so i'll be keeping an eye on my levels tonight should be fine if i hypo i bought 120 glucotabs the other day got them stashed all over

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I just say not doing injections is kinda weird. I haven’t quite adjusted to counting carbs precisely, but I’m managing Okay on day 2. I think the diabetes police are coming to get me because “YOU NEED TO COUNT CARBS PRECISELY”.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@chris85 type 1 There is nothing so helpful as being able to talk to other type 1's. I have a caring supportive spouse and while he knows I'm going hypo by my actions, knows I get on my exercise bike to help with highs, he is not a type 1. No one can truly understand living with this except for another type 1. And a lot of young people go through a period of not caring, if I ignore it I don't have it????

It really isn't that hard once you get past the initial learning or relearning of dosing to eating. Losing weight will be easier when you get dosing down (never easy for anyone). But the best way to feel better etc is to be at the right basal and to get dosing down (carb insulin ratio) to what you are eating, you will always have some highs and some lows, it just happens, but with the right dosing it sure helps keep it level more and much much easier. It will just become second nature.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski It felt very liberating for me! And amazing to be able to make the smaller adjustments with a push of a button!

It is fantastic, I did a temp basal before work and another one after I got home. I’ve been in range and I’ve only hypoed once. :) But my carb ratios cannot be changed until next Friday and I know for certain it will shoot my BG up. But their excuse is if you don’t go high, how can we adjust the settings.

Reactions: Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to let you guys know that I’ll be leaving the forum. Types ones aren’t especially welcome here, and vegetarians certainly aren’t. Take care x

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Aw @LooperCat I will miss you here! It's so true though. There are several on this board that can't stand anyone being a vegan or vegetarian, I'm gathering because they are scared it will affect them somehow.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to let you guys know that I’ll be leaving the forum. Types ones aren’t especially welcome here, and vegetarians certainly aren’t. Take care x

I’m sorry to hear, sending you a hug, I’ve read the recent threads on it and it’s not very nice.