urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
good morning @LooperCat i have been thinking that about levemir i bumped into a lady a couple of years back and found out she was daibetic on levemir she said she splits her basal doses morning and evening apart from you guys she is the only diabetic i have spoken to in 16 years

If it's any help to you, I take half my Levemir at 07:00hrs and the remainder at 19:00hrs. We often eat late due to the wife's work so sometimes I up the evening one a bit if we're having a carby meal like pasta.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning from bleeding freezing South Wales

Nice to see you back at least on this thread @LooperCat........ Is your avatar "Mels Cat"? :hilarious:

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@chris85 type 1 the meter won't work out your carbs, but the dafne course will set you on the right track, start guessing from now and then once you've eaten and aren't hungry you can take some time to really work out the carbs, once you get the 'idea' you'll be amazed at how well your gut feeling 'guess' (educated guess!) is.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LooperCat i just dont understand how i am ment to go to sleep knowing i only took 10 units what would my bg do
You might get one night running a little high, but can correct with Novorapid. Or as you run quite high during the day, take it as usual tonight; half your Levemir tomorrow morning and half tomorrow evening. Instant 50:50 split. Just keep hypo treatment handy, and don’t take quite so much Novorapid for the day.

Alternatively try taking your normal Levemir before bed tonight, and take two units tomorrow morning. Gradually reduce by two units each night and increase by two each morning until you’ve got a 50:50 split.

Basically you can do it in one jump, or taper into it. But if you’re uneasy about that, talk to your DSN first.

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might get one night running a little high, but can correct with Novorapid. Or as you run quite high during the day, take it as usual tonight; half your Levemir tomorrow morning and half tomorrow evening. Instant 50:50 split. Just keep hypo treatment handy, and don’t take quite so much Novorapid for the day.

Alternatively try taking your normal Levemir before bed tonight, and take two units tomorrow morning. Gradually reduce by two units each night and increase by two each morning until you’ve got a 50:50 split.

Basically you can do it in one jump, or taper into it. But if you’re uneasy about that, talk to your DSN first.
hmm head first it is then ill 20 tonight and 10 in the morning keeping hypo kit handy got that covered i bought 120 lift gluco tabss there stashed all over but on my bedside locker there iss carbs as well i hate/fear nocturnal hypo's

Reactions: LooperCat

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
hmm head first it is then ill 20 tonight and 10 in the morning keeping hypo kit handy got that covered i bought 120 lift gluco tabss there stashed all over but on my bedside locker there iss carbs as well i hate/fear nocturnal hypo's
If you want to get technical about it, “Maximum serum concentration is reached between 6 and 8 hours after administration. When administered twice daily, steady state serum concentrations are reached after 2–3 dose administrations.” (From the “electronic medicines compendium” - freely accessible database of info about all the drugs for medical professionals) - so it’ll take a couple of days to settle down.

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if my bg is high no problem i dont feel it until im close to 30 mmo/ls but i feel the lowss around 5.9 mmo/ls it might be a rough ride for some but "i'm so alpha my alpha cells killed off my beta cells"

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Only the perspective of the photo, they’re quite normal. My son took it and it’s one of my favourites of Fidel ❤️ All the claws!
Reminds me I need to make an appointment to get Cat’s bramble claws clipped. It takes two to hold him down and a room full of Fellaway so I let others do it.

Reactions: hh1 and porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@chris85 type 1 when your body is use to running at higher levels you can get that hypo feeling at normal levels - conversely always being at the low end of normal you can loose your hypo awareness and usually running at slightly higher than normal for a week or 2 brings them back. the trick is to stay in range with out any hypos (hypo is classed as anything under 4 by some or 3.5 by others)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke to a 6.4, Libre .1 different from my meter, very happy with all that thank you!

@LooperCat so pleased you're staying here, great news, and already helping as usual :)

@chris85 type 1 I'm on Lantus but similar to Levemir and when I started to split doses it made a big difference for me. It was a while ago now, but I did what you're planning and with a tweak or two on the first day it worked just fine, and in fact I ended up reducing my Lantus though that may just be me. If you've got a good memory you'll be fine; I had to set myself a morning alarm to keep reminding me that I had to take Lantus then :rolleyes: as well as the automatic one at night. Hope it works as well for you!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Very good to have you back @LooperCat, who else here has such good knowledge of the diademon science!