Type 1'stars R Us

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Though the February education sessions were accompanied by some quite bad weather

Lol, wasn't it just! Mines was on what turned out to be the worst snow day, it was about the time that libre delay deliveries were kicking in, I was on the last few days of my last sensor with no sign of the next order turning up, so I was pretty keen on getting the free one at the education session otherwise I'd have been sans-capteur for the first time in months.

So, woke up, about a foot or two of snow outside the door, trams off, buses off, not a taxi to be seen. Ended up tromping through the snow for about a mile and a half thinking gonna be late, gonna be late, won't get my sensor, before I finally picked up one of the very few taxis for the last mile, whew, got there with 5 mins to spare.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, wasn't it just! Mines was on what turned out to be the worst snow day, it was about the time that libre delay deliveries were kicking in, I was on the last few days of my last sensor with no sign of the next order turning up, so I was pretty keen on getting the free one at the education session otherwise I'd have been sans-capteur for the first time in months.

So, woke up, about a foot or two of snow outside the door, trams off, buses off, not a taxi to be seen. Ended up tromping through the snow for about a mile and a half thinking gonna be late, gonna be late, won't get my sensor, before I finally picked up one of the very few taxis for the last mile, whew, got there with 5 mins to spare.

I'm very impressed by your determination. :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The data is very exciting

Indeed it is.

I can understand to a certain extent the ccg bean-counters holding off on funding decisions until there's some "official" documentation out there, so they can justify it to their auditors at the end of the day.

But that documentation is starting to build up, so if there turns out to be any long term hold-outs or straight "no's", some questions will need to be asked, like, "aw, come on, guys, how much evidence do you need?"

Although it's deeply frustrating for those who are not yet funded, this is similar to the fuss when colour changing strips came out, then meters. Those were regarded as new and expensive tech and questions were asked about whether they were needed. But within a short time, they became standard and no-one could remember why it was even questioned. I'm fairly confident libre prescribing is going to follow that path.

When so many areas are prescribing now, the hold-outs are going to have to have some pretty convincing arguments for not prescribing, or they'll just look like idiots.

Reactions: smc4761

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed it is.

I can understand to a certain extent the ccg bean-counters holding off on funding decisions until there's some "official" documentation out there, so they can justify it to their auditors at the end of the day.

But that documentation is starting to build up, so if there turns out to be any long term hold-outs or straight "no's", some questions will need to be asked, like, "aw, come on, guys, how much evidence do you need?"

Although it's deeply frustrating for those who are not yet funded, this is lofussg similar to the fuss when colour changing strips came out, then meters. Those were regarded as new and expensive tech and questions were asked about whether they were needed. But within a short time, they became standard and no-one could remember why it was even questioned. I'm fairly confident libre prescribing is going to follow that path.

When so many areas are prescribing now, the hold-outs are going to have to have some pretty convincing arguments for not prescribing, or they'll just look like idiots.

They are definitely going to be embarrassed into doing it. I was looking at the map, on the Diabetes UK website, the other day, and noticed a lot of the CCGs refusing to do it are in East Anglia, including Cambridgeshire and Peterborough |CCG. which has Addenbrookes Hospital in it,which is supposedly an internationally renowned teaching hospital. You'd think they would be putting pressure on the local CCG to do it, it's just a bit dinosaury, for an area that wants to be taken seriously as somewhere with a growing technology sector.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm very impressed by your determination. :)

There's maybe a movie plot in there. I'm thinking a remake of The Towering Inferno or Earthquake or something like that, there's Bruce Willis fighting his way through a variety of blizzards, burning forests, exploding volcanoes, collapsing buildings, not to save his daughter or anything like that, he just looks at the camera and says, "There's a free sensor. It's mine."

K

Knikki

Talking of Etch A Sketch, sorry Libre do any of you get gaps in the graph?

Looking at mine from earlier there is gap on the way down, another roller coaster day :rolleyes: but not sure if it is blip in the sensor or something else.

At the moment it still within the old 15 min range of the bloods, so guess things are ok

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Talking of Etch A Sketch, sorry Libre do any of you get gaps in the graph?

Looking at mine from earlier there is gap on the way down, another roller coaster day :rolleyes: but not sure if it is blip in the sensor or something else.

At the moment it still within the old 15 min range of the bloods, so guess things are ok
Sometimes if the data is changing too fast, the algorithms can’t keep,up and it manifest as a blank.

K

Knikki

There are at least a couple of reasons for the gaps
- the sensor is not working properly. This is most likely to be towards the end of its life when the sensor may have moved slightly.
- the sensor holds 8 hours of data. When you swipe it, it downloads that data to your reader. If you have a period of more than 8 hours when you do not swipe (such as a good long night of sleep), the recent data will overwrite the old data so you will see a gap.
There may be other reasons that I don’t know about ... or I do know but on a hot Sunday afternoon, my brain cells are taking a bit of a snooze.

I had noticed that over the course of a night time also this one has 5 days to run so maybe it is running out of steam. Brain cells taking a snooze? And why not it's a warm Sunday:D

Sometimes if the data is changing too fast, the algorithms can’t keep,up and it manifest as a blank.

I was talking a lot of readings over a shortish time so that would be a reasonable explaination :)

Thanks both of you for the replies.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad & sobering news..

One of our T1 brethren passed away last Monday.. I was in a band with the guy a while back. He played bass & roped me in as the singer. He'd been diagnosed at 18 months old? Got his 50 year medal & was struggling a bit with a few complications..
Not sure what had actually killed him.
However,I picked up on his lows before he did. "When the music sounds ****? Check yer levels.." Was my code. No one likes to tell another D how to run their condition.
The guy always let me know where he put his hypo treatment on stage incase "I"needed it.. Though, I felt maybe it was probably if he span out of control?

He rocked till the end!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sad & sobering news..

One of our T1 brethren passed away last Monday.. I was in a band with the guy a while back. He played bass & roped me in as the singer. He'd been diagnosed at 18 months old? Got his 50 year medal & was struggling a bit with a few complications..
However,I picked up on his lows before he did. "When the music sounds ****? Check yer levels.." Was my code. No one likes to tell another D how to run their condition.
The guy always let me know where he put his hypo treatment on stage incase "I"needed it.. Though, I felt maybe it was probably if he span out of control?

He rocked till the end!
I’m sorry mate <3

Reactions: Cumberland
K

Knikki

Sad & sobering news..

He rocked till the end!

Sorry to hear that :(

K

Knikki

On a side note!

Been a roller coaster day again :jimlad: so check BS and LO, butt monkeys are back, so trundle downstairs only to find my OH dipping in to the Jelly Babies :nailbiting::arghh: caught red handed :hilarious:

Mr Kipling Lemon Slice :woot: it is then, 28g of carb, if that fails its the Jaffa Cakes, at least I know they are safe.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sad & sobering news..

He rocked till the end!

Very sad news, Jaylee. He was still young which makes it even more sad. I hope a life filled with music was a good life, a well lived.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a side note!

Been a roller coaster day again :jimlad: so check BS and LO, butt monkeys are back, so trundle downstairs only to find my OH dipping in to the Jelly Babies :nailbiting::arghh: caught red handed :hilarious:

Mr Kipling Lemon Slice :woot: it is then, 28g of carb, if that fails its the Jaffa Cakes, at least I know they are safe.
17 minutes have now passed!!!!!!! Is the OH still residing in your humble abode??????
Jelly baby theft is the lowest of the lowest possible crimes.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Sad & sobering news..

He rocked till the end!

That’s sad news @Jaylee I’m sorry to read this

Reactions: kitedoc