Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 there is no indication of there being a food shortage at all. At the moment, it's demand surpassing the delivery and that's because people are being silly. A bit like Christmas time when people buy more than they need because the shop is going to be closed for a day.

Hi@SueJB My wife works in supermarket ans she says shelves are virtually empty of food, Its the same across the town I live, population about 80 000. Certainly at moment people are going into meltdown and buying everything. I am thinking maybe short term until people calm down a bit and shops can get back to normality, albeit with maybe rationing of some items.

AS long as I can get bread and milk I would be happy in short term.

I do believe that there is more than enough to go round its just too many fools out there causing issues

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got whole meal buns in Lidl’s this morning. No gyms/pools or indeed any council run places open here in Leeds for the next two months at least.
My local pool and sports centre has been taken over and is now leased to a firm who run it for the council so will probably stay open, I've not asked tbh.

I'm good for bread now as the ex got me some wholemeal baps too :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My local pool and sports centre has been taken over and is now leased to a firm who run it for the council so will probably stay open, I've not asked tbh.

I'm good for bread now as the ex got me some wholemeal baps too :)
Is that Everyone Active that have taken ownership of your gym?
That’s the case for me. Did comment to the receptionist that I was surprised they are still open. Open until told otherwise apparently.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 there is no indication of there being a food shortage at all. At the moment, it's demand surpassing the delivery and that's because people are being silly. A bit like Christmas time when people buy more than they need because the shop is going to be closed for a day.
I heard a comment/ report yesterday that warned that online food orders could take 6 weeks to be delivered.
***. You might as well just stand on every street corner shouting “ no food , we’re all going to die “. What is wrong with these dimwit, scaremongering t**ts?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that Everyone Active that have taken ownership of your gym?
That’s the case for me. Did comment to the receptionist that I was surprised they are still open. Open until told otherwise apparently.

Hi Tony, no these are called 'Better' which in my opinion is trolling when it's worse, the football club, the clowncil and Better are going to manage the new sports stadium in the city when it finally opens in 2014, sorry in the near future when finished, snagged and tested, they've built a 25m pool there too which will in time close our (the city's) old 50 yard one from 1910 given to the city by Rowntrees and recently refurbished by the clowncil, but it's a loss making one and the new one will replace it.

Sorry for the rant :p

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w . Our council run gym was taken over a year ago by this Everyone active. Lots of the staff have left. Coincidentally we’ve been promised a new leisure centre for 2022. Currently they’ve chopped down a dozen trees maybe. I guess if it all goes pear shape they can blame coronavirus.:)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi@SueJB My wife works in supermarket ans she says shelves are virtually empty of food, Its the same across the town I live, population about 80 000. Certainly at moment people are going into meltdown and buying everything. I am thinking maybe short term until people calm down a bit and shops can get back to normality, albeit with maybe rationing of some items.

AS long as I can get bread and milk I would be happy in short term.

I do believe that there is more than enough to go round its just too many fools out there causing issues
I agree that people are being silly @smc4761 but there isn't a shortage . There is no need to perpetuate this myth by hypothesising what one might do if there isn't food. Just raises fear unnecessarily

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I heard a comment/ report yesterday that warned that online food orders could take 6 weeks to be delivered.
***. You might as well just stand on every street corner shouting “ no food , we’re all going to die “. What is wrong with these dimwit, scaremongering t**ts?
@therower I couldn't agree more. I really think that everyone, news channels etc banging on about nothing on shelves and you can only buy 2or is it 3 things makes silly people go out and but 3 bags of rice or whatever. I have to go to the supermarket tomorrow because I've got no butter, yoghurt etc but I'll just buy what I always do, I'm certainly not going to buy 3 of everything.

Reactions: Marie 2 and smc4761

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, hope you’re all well. Waiting for a potential teaching job today before my one income stream becomes cut off tomorrow... Bloods a little bumpy yesterday, but steady in the low sixes this morning. So that’s nice.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

My job is slowly coming to a halt, service charge is all given to full time peeps so part timers gets zilch. Sensitive sally is back so I’m redoing my pump settings and changing sensors tonight. Hope all is well

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have many wonderful knowledgeable people on this thread, so hopefully you can advise.

If the food shortages become a reality and we are having to eat much less how will this impact our type 1 diabetes. I typically eat around 120 g of carbs a day. If I end up going down to say 50 g of carbs per day, apart from taking less insulin, how this impact my body, apart from losing a few pounds, which would be no bad thing

It certainly makes no difference to me. During the week I eat moderately low carb (under 80) at the weekends I let rip. Most days I eat nothing after 3pm. Other days I might be hungry and eat something. I just bolus accordingly and don’t worry about it.
I visited 2 supermarkets yesterday and just mentally adjusted for what I could get. Trying to make the food as healthy and enjoyable as possible.

Reactions: smc4761

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, just been for a very chilly walk due to a sharp easterly wind - that wasn't forecast! My village WhatsApp group's working nicely - someone got me some eggs today and I had some paracetamol for someone, but someone else beat me to it!

@LooperCat & @MeiChanski good luck on the work front.

Reactions: SueJB and karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Our lovely neighbour’s added us to her milkman orders so got milk, butter, bread today, and she’s brought us something from the farm shop. Apparently the nearby Sainsburys’ golden oldie hour was packed this morning. I didn’t go, we don’t need anything at the moment, so no point except to say hello to friends.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all

If anyone is looking to buy pasta and your supermarket hasn't got any then I have the solution. Go to your local Ann Summers.....they sell penis pasta.....seriously penis pasta is a thing BUT be quick as they will sell out pretty quickly :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our lovely neighbour’s added us to her milkman orders so got milk, butter, bread today, and she’s brought us something from the farm shop. Apparently the nearby Sainsburys’ golden oldie hour was packed this morning. I didn’t go, we don’t need anything at the moment, so no point except to say hello to friends.
our sa:banghead:insburys was empty i dont mean of people i mean food wise so was iceland and home bargins i only wanted a loaf its verging on the ridiculous some selfish people out there

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
our sa:banghead:insburys was empty i dont mean of people i mean food wise so was iceland and home bargins i only wanted a loaf its verging on the ridiculous some selfish people out there

Agreed. I do hope their freezers break down and all their stock piled food goes bad. Woosh.....I am normally a really nice person :angelic::angelic:

Reactions: SueJB

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, good luck @LooperCat and @MeiChanski. Tough times.
Had an email from the mud pie making Adult Ed Centre this morning that Centres are closed until further notice. Grandsons now at home, younger daughter getting dressed to do online tutorials, older daughter no doubt at home too next week, and trying to assess A Level and GCSE quals the pupils get, Consultant saying that he’ll be ‘seeing’ people online for a year . . . It’s a disaster. Anyone heard whether the move to roll out a universal basic wage has got anywhere?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I teaching jobs today, I imagine there are so few kids in school that they can mane\age on their current staff. Hey ho. In other news there may be an opportunity to work for the ambo service in some capacity, we have an online meeting this afternoon...