Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning guys, hope everyone is well. I woke up with a sugar of 3.6 so treated it with some lucozade. Woken up feeling very anxious again. If I’m honest I don’t know how to process all of this, whilst the govt are saying they are putting measures into place by securing more testing etc you’ve got nhs officials stating that they have no idea if they can handle the peak of this :( I think that I really need to stop watching the news because I’m really letting it consume me. Has anyone got any tips or anxiety recommendations during this period please because I do not want this stress to mess with my diabetes control!

You have come to the best thread on the forum, plenty of great advice form the guys on, a more friendly bunch you will not meet

I have literally stopped watching the news now. Not because I want it all just to go away ( I do ). BUT the majority of the news is all very negative. There is so much information, too many experts who seem to know nothing about nothing. The way I get my news is by listening to the short bulletins on the radio, which at least is short and will keep you up to date

Whilst it is horrible that about 2500 people in UK have died, some perspective is maybe needed. UK has a population of about 68 million

If you have Facebook go on there, the humour at the moment is fantastic. Yes Corona Virus can be scary but like many we simply use dark humour to help us.

Plenty of box sets on TV, Netflix, etc. Take up a new hobby, watch You Tube videos, millions of topics to choose from. Plenty great recipes on You Tube. If you have a garden great time to make your garden pristine.

If you have time there are plenty of volunteering opportunities that will be gratefully appreciated I am sure.

We had a discussion earlier about are type 1 more at risk and I think many said probably not. We tend to be very hygenic people anyway, we have tend to have good diets and more aware of any underlying medical issues as we get regular check ups with doctors. Keep good control of your BG levels and most of all try not to stress. WE can all over think things at times and get ourselves in a state. Try and focus on the good things around you and stay safe. We are all here for you if you want to sound off

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love this

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-02 113436.png
    Annotation 2020-04-02 113436.png
    558.8 KB · Views: 250

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about everyone else's low blood sugars on waking - seems my liver crept around you all and stole any spare going then dumped it all on me this morning. I've given it a very stern talking to, but like the local boy racing idiots (sorry, it's all-male as far as I've spotted so far...) on scooters, quad bikes, other motorised and non-motorised bikes as well as in cars) who think the local roads/pavements are free for all for racing and they're not going to get caught, my liver seems to be taking no notice of any sense.

I seem to have settled into my new normal routines, which is doing me more good than anything else, I think. I'm also refusing to feel guilty about being at home on my own, getting on with the lesser done household chores to-do list for a couple of hours, the garden for an hour or so, then filling my time with music practice, reading or catching up on TV I've missed out on for years.

I'm also minimising news, both on TV and on-line, as I've an over-active imagination at the best of times! I learnt to do this years ago in other times when news could get addictive.

Also putting a strict limit on when I look at church-related e-mails and any possible suggestions I could be using my "extra time" to do all the administrative computer-related tasks which other people have suddenly decided need doing now and have been on our collective to-do lists for ages. (My share of the particular tasks were done in the days after we originally discussed them, but I'm not rushing to get them finished just because other people are now panicking.)

I'm continuing to hang out with all the best people on social media, though!

npatel19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have come to the best thread on the forum, plenty of great advice form the guys on, a more friendly bunch you will not meet

I have literally stopped watching the news now. Not because I want it all just to go away ( I do ). BUT the majority of the news is all very negative. There is so much information, too many experts who seem to know nothing about nothing. The way I get my news is by listening to the short bulletins on the radio, which at least is short and will keep you up to date

Whilst it is horrible that about 2500 people in UK have died, some perspective is maybe needed. UK has a population of about 68 million

If you have Facebook go on there, the humour at the moment is fantastic. Yes Corona Virus can be scary but like many we simply use dark humour to help us.

Plenty of box sets on TV, Netflix, etc. Take up a new hobby, watch You Tube videos, millions of topics to choose from. Plenty great recipes on You Tube. If you have a garden great time to make your garden pristine.

If you have time there are plenty of volunteering opportunities that will be gratefully appreciated I am sure.

We had a discussion earlier about are type 1 more at risk and I think many said probably not. We tend to be very hygenic people anyway, we have tend to have good diets and more aware of any underlying medical issues as we get regular check ups with doctors. Keep good control of your BG levels and most of all try not to stress. WE can all over think things at times and get ourselves in a state. Try and focus on the good things around you and stay safe. We are all here for you if you want to sound off
Hello! Thank you I’m so grateful for your response, I had a call with my diabetic consultant this morning which was reassuring she said my control is good and HBA1C is decent too. She said not to focus on media and numbers too much which I’m going to start doing.

I’ve started watching a series called ‘The Wire’ and I’m trying to have regular calls with my friends to keep me sane.
Thank you all for your responses, I only joined this forum last week but I already feel a strong sense of support and community and I really appreciate it all of it.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother your sofa project reminded me of Mrs Cropley from The Vicar of Dibley, that cheered me right up!

IMG_5553.jpg

I’ve tried to limit my news intake and only look at particular times of day etc. because it can just become a depressing anxiety spiral. I’m also limiting my Facebook time because my feed is full of people doing enriching home activities with their kids, while mine is spending far too much time on CBeebies for my liking. I know they’ll only post the good stuff and not the bad but I don’t find it helps.

Reactions: kev-w

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! Thank you I’m so grateful for your response, I had a call with my diabetic consultant this morning which was reassuring she said my control is good and HBA1C is decent too. She said not to focus on media and numbers too much which I’m going to start doing.

I’ve started watching a series called ‘The Wire’ and I’m trying to have regular calls with my friends to keep me sane.
Thank you all for your responses, I only joined this forum last week but I already feel a strong sense of support and community and I really appreciate it all of it.

The Wire is excellent, a good choice.. Stay in touch with friends and family, you will help each other through this. Use Facetime ,Zoom and many other apps that are out there. Zoom seems be very popular at moment. I have heard of folks setting up a zoom meeting with their friends and doing a quiz night. Anything that try to make life as normal as possible

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon everyone,
Lots of things not going on with you all.... such as work. Being furloughed is just the same as being retired I suppose but I've found masses of stuff to do and often wonder how I managed to fit life into work.
Badge day!! Yey but liver dumped 45 mins after to 8.5 so a short lived badge wearing.
Queued this morning to get into my supermarket, then queued once inside while the greengrocery area became clear. Well done on all of that but still felt a little at risk inside the shop. Thanked all the people working there I came into social distancing contact with.
I need to finish off the flooring in the bathroom now, feed the birds and then cook supper.
Positive vibes to all

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@Fairygodmother your sofa project reminded me of Mrs Cropley from The Vicar of Dibley, that cheered me right up!

View attachment 39930

I’ve tried to limit my news intake and only look at particular times of day etc. because it can just become a depressing anxiety spiral. I’m also limiting my Facebook time because my feed is full of people doing enriching home activities with their kids, while mine is spending far too much time on CBeebies for my liking. I know they’ll only post the good stuff and not the bad but I don’t find it helps.
We need a rerun of The Vicar!

Reactions: kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m feeling cheerful, I downloaded an alternative app and bought a couple of e books to read on it as an alternative to the Beelzebub owned site that I was using. Yes, I know, I should have done it aeons ago.
Bloods being more sensible today. So far.
Now where did I put that crochet hook? Last seen when I was trying to get the ties done on the bean poles. Last spring? I need to make a Mrs Crowley hat. I’m really missing the weekly mud pie making and the company there. The lamp base for younger daughter’s birthday’s, a life-begins-at one, is ready for the first firing but I fear it’ll be a while past the event before she gets it. She doesn’t mind. The mud pie makers have a chat group, but I’m missing creating and all the expensive kit there, things I’ve not got. Ah well, mustn’t grumble, there’s an old block of Fimo somewhere and the wax on the babybel our lovely neighbour got for us is great to model with. But bronze? No lost wax method figurines will be made here, just lost marble.

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

A few things have happened: My bf shaved his head so now I don’t recognise him. My work place has been accepting residents from hospitals and they need to be in isolation. Unfortunately that didn’t go to plan yesterday, resident moving around and with her capacity, she doesn’t understand what is happening. She was there for less than 24 hours and already screaming the place down. I managed to pay rent yesterday but I had to go into my overdraft. But we have food and everything so we are grateful.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@smc4761 . Welcome to the world of furlough.
Day one completed.
It wouldn’t be so bad if we could do something but that would go against the whole idea of furloughing.
It’s going to be an interesting and challenging time. I think I’m going to see it as a practice run for retirement.:)
I’m still working from home and seem to be in more meetings than when at my usual workplace. I only work 3 days a week but sometimes find motivation difficult particularly when hubby is now not working.

Reactions: hh1 and therower

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening in groundhog day land :p and as a preacher of 'move more and eat less' for weight control I appear to have eaten my words along with the food cupboard this week and have used a fair bit more insulin for my troubles and I really do know better....

But anyway today's all about cycle repairs and having the daughter round, I give her the choice of whether to or not to bother but she still wants to come which is quite sweet, I'm trending a little high but my exercise and movement is down so to be expected but not helped by a tech fault with xDrip for the iPhone...

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Awoke on a nice 5. Have run out of usual yoghurt so will see how bloods behave with what I’ve eaten. Could be interesting!
Haven’t been on here much the past few days nor other social media. Trying to limit my time so I don’t get pulled in to all the negativity. There is not enough praise for all the wonderful things that this country has achieved as a collective in the past couple of weeks. We are very lucky to be here as opposed to developing countries where there will be little likelihood of any help. (Climbs off soap box)
In truth I am very busy, have a good structure to the day and feel blessed for a loving husband, a warm comfy house, outdoor space and access to a good WiFi connection to keep in touch with my family.
The weather is about to get warmer so enjoy all.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, I'm doing something right, woke on 5.9 thank you, happy with that!

@becca59 I'm sorry you feel there's so much negativity about. I'm extraordinarily lucky where I live in that there is an abundance of great, positive people, all helping others as they can and some going way beyond. Our local WhatsApp help group has turned into a place of real fun as well, plus exchanging things some people can offer if they're not going out and depending on others for shopping etc. Here we've had the huge rhubarb share-out, recipe swaps for using it, garden plant sharing, plumbing advice(!), the occasional joke and just general friendliness. Hope you find more positive stuff in future.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Today should've been the last day of term and I had the weirdest of dreams about my students last night, who I'm increasingly thinking I won't see again this academic year. One or two never again at this rate. I know none of the ones I work with directly will be returning on the date we've currently been told we're going back, though few of us ever believed that in the firat instance, even if we re-open to a limited number of students who are extra vulnerable or who have key worker parents. On the whole, the parents and carers of our students would rather have their off-spring/charges at home and in shielding mode knowing how impossible it is to get our students to understand keeping a distance with friends and college staff they know and love! Tellingly, the key worker parents have felt most strongly about this!

Next week I have plans for a musical extravaganza of a Holy Week! Normally I'd more or less live on the organ stool for the week before Easter and hoping I get through to Easter Day in one piece without dealing with anyone's meltdowns (my own included!) and avoiding hypos at inconvenient moments. Possibly just pity my neighbours if I start singing along to some of the great stuff I can listen to in its entirety, in peace and I've got the music score for it all at home?

Now, if any supermarket I frequent tries telling me chocolate Easter Eggs are a non-essential item for Easter Day or my annual Hot Cross Bun for Good Friday when I go shopping next....

Last edited:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, I'm doing something right, woke on 5.9 thank you, happy with that!

@becca59 I'm sorry you feel there's so much negativity about. I'm extraordinarily lucky where I live in that there is an abundance of great, positive people, all helping others as they can and some going way beyond. Our local WhatsApp help group has turned into a place of real fun as well, plus exchanging things some people can offer if they're not going out and depending on others for shopping etc. Here we've had the huge rhubarb share-out, recipe swaps for using it, garden plant sharing, plumbing advice(!), the occasional joke and just general friendliness. Hope you find more positive stuff in future.

Hi @hh1 another decent BG for you whoo hoo.

I am with @becca59 regarding the negativity in the country, I am have also just about stopped watching the news, or going onto newspapers websites. All we get from the so called is experts are different messages. We keep hearing of numbers of deaths etc, which is horrific. BUT what about the good news stories, those that have recovered and are doing well. Those who had corona virus but symptoms were mild, which is about 90% of population.

Plenty of good stories out there, people pulling together, helping each other, lets hear more about this.

Some social media is brilliant at moment. I am not a huge fan of Facebook but some of the humour and jokes on there are brilliant. Plenty of good news stories on there as well

Stay safe people and lets all remain positive and smiling:):):):):):)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all, thank goodness it’s Spring. Imagine all of this on a grey cold winter day - no don’t. Our lovely next door neighbour says they’ve gone entirely to phone consultations and have created a ‘possibly Covid’ patient area to see those, so it’s hard not to be worrying about her. She, though, remains kind and cheerful. We exchange daft things on our WhatsApp. Way to go.
@MeiChanski, here’s power to you and your hairless bf!
@hh1, your village sounds terrific.
@becca59, hope your bloods aren’t protesting too noisily about the the yoghurt desert.
@kev-w, we expect an update of your avatar when the extra snacks and meals begin to show.
Any news of @porl69?

Reactions: hh1 and kev-w

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
DP came back for about a month and then DP stopped completely.

I have mixed feelings between being irritated I have to change my pump night settings again, ......but doing a happy dance that it's gone again.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning :) tech says I'm hypo and woke up that way but a fingerstick says 5.1 now from a waking 4.1, but tech's not working properly at the moment and I expect to be scanning manually later if it doesn't get fixed.

Apart from that all's fine, my pushbike needs a little more work after a late breakfast and I need a new pc keyboard as the coffee I spilled on it last night has done nothing for the keys :)

Take care and dont forget to eep your distance.