Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The cake sounds scrummy
Have you got a recipe please @Fairygodmother Want half and half cake
It’s the Delia rich fruit cake, with fruit soaked in Guinness, extra mixed spice, and yes, I’ve gone for half and half. I think the Delia will probably be online, but I had to convert my old one from Farenheight to centigrade, and lbs Oz to grams.

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone, have as good as day as you can.
@Choosehappy, I should have said yesterday, sorry, there’s something called Carbs and Cals that shows carbohydrate values for a variety of foods. It comes as an app or a book. If you’ve got, or you buy, some scales that weigh in grams and can be reset to zero while you add more to plate or bowl then the two help with calculations. I expect that the doc and the diabetes nurse are waiting to see how you respond to food and insulin before suggesting how much you should inject to cover it.
How are the turtles @Marie2?

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi everyone, I hope you are all having a lovely day.

I thought I’d ask as I recently found Hartleys no added sugar jellies which are practically no carbs and perfect for a sensible sweet treat now and again with no spikes and good control!

I wonder if anyone else knows of any no added sugar sweet treats like cake brands that I may find at my local supermarket so I can shake things up every now again to prevent any bad snacking.

I was diagnosed type 1 Thursday 30th Oct and from that day fourth I quit smoking (ecig 6-7 years) and all sugars (had a very bad diet).

really struggling with cravings, have found 1 square of dark chocolate helps now and again.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
From the moment you are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes you are likely to be faced with what seems like an endless list of new tasks that need to become part of everyday life – injections, testing, treating a hypo, monitoring and eating a healthy, balanced diet. No wonder it can all seem daunting and overwhelming.

One of your first questions is likely to be “what can I eat and drink?” But, with so much to take in, you could still come away from appointments feeling unsure about the answer.

Plus, there are lots of myths about diabetes and food that you will need to navigate too. So if you aren’t sure about what you can and can’t eat, we have information for you, so you can manage your type 1 diabetes with confidence.

What can I eat with type 1?

In one word... anything. It may come as a surprise, but all kinds of food are fine for people with type 1 diabetes to eat.

With more flexible insulin regimens and the use of insulin pumps, the days of “do's and don'ts” are long gone. The way to go nowadays is to try and fit your diabetes treatment around your current lifestyle. But the same healthy, balanced diet is recommended for everyone, which includes food from all the main food groups.

It is a good idea to include some carbs with your meals as, without carbohydrate, your insulin may cause blood glucose levels to drop too low. Choose healthier carbs such as wholegrains, starchy foods, fruit and veg, pulses, unsweetened yogurt and milk, nut and seeds.

There is no strong evidence that a low carb diet is safe or beneficial for people with type 1 diabetes.

What foods type 1s should avoid

Before your diagnosis of diabetes, it is likely that you experienced extreme thirst. It is a good idea to avoid sugary drinks and fruit juices as a way of quenching your thirst. They usually put blood glucose levels up very high and very quickly – which is why they can be a useful treatment for a hypo (low blood glucose levels).

Instead, drink water, sugar-free and diet soft drinks. Tea and coffee are still OK to include, too. Read more about what to drink when you have diabetes.

Don’t bother with foods labelled ‘diabetic’ or ‘suitable for diabetics’. These foods contain similar amounts of calories and fat, and they can affect your blood glucose levels. They are usually more expensive and can have a laxative effect. Stick to your usual foods. If you want to have an occasional treat, go for your normal treats and watch your portion sizes.

Understanding carbohydrates

All carbs affect blood sugar levels, and the total amount of carbs you eat will have the biggest effect on your blood glucose levels.

Carb counting is really important to keep your blood sugar levels steady. This means matching insulin to the amount of carbs you eat and drink.

It takes time and effort, but once you get the hang of it, carb counting can lead to better blood sugar control. It also gives you more choice over when – and how much – you eat. You can enjoy special occasions and treats by making changes to insulin doses.

You might need to lose, gain or maintain your weight, but it’s important to make healthier food choices whilst you are doing this.

Extra education can help you to manage the amount of carbohydrate you eat and the insulin you take to help control blood glucose levels.

There’s a lot to learn about type 1 diabetes. And knowing about diabetes is crucial to managing your diabetes. It can take some commitment but, in the long run, things become much easier.

How to enjoy a healthy type 1 diabetes diet

There's no such thing as a 'diabetic diet’ for type 1. Your diet should include making healthier food choices that are lower in saturated fat, sugar and salt.

Doing this will help you to:

control blood fats
control blood pressure
maintain a healthy weight.
This can also help to reduce your risk of diabetes complications, including heart disease and stroke. As with any lifestyle changes, making gradual and realistic changes over a longer period of time is more likely to lead to success. See a registered dietitian for specific advice and an eating plan that is tailored to your individual needs and lifestyle.

Your diet and insulin

If you are using a basal bolus insulin regime, injecting several times a day, or you’re on an insulin pump then it's possible to be much more flexible in how many carbs you can eat and when.

Most people who follow this regime will count the carbohydrates that they eat and drink, and then calculate how much insulin they need to take. The amount of insulin will be adjusted depending on how much carbohydrate they are eating and other factors, such as physical activity, blood sugar levels or illness.

This can let you be more flexible with your food choices and meal times, without compromising your blood glucose control.

If you are on a twice-daily fixed insulin regimen you need to have regular meal times and eat roughly the same carbohydrate portion at these meals from day to day.

More carbohydrate than usual can cause blood glucose levels to go too high. In contrast, eating less carbs than usual can cause a hypo.

I think carb counting has been one of the most beneficial things for managing my diabetes along with managing my insulin to cover food before eating.

Read Pauline's story about how she's learnt to manage type 1 diabetes.

What can I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

What do you normally eat? If the answer includes some carbohydrate at each meal then really there is nothing more to consider for now – but try to go with healthier carb options, and be aware of your portion sizes.

Try and eat five portions of fruit and veg a day by incorporating them at mealtimes, and swap low fibre carbs, such as white bread, white rice and highly-processed cereals, for wholegrain varieties.

You can check food labels when you’re looking for foods high in fibre if you’re unsure. Get advice on understanding food labels.

If you are stuck for ideas, choose one of these:

Breakfast

a bowl of wholegrain cereal such as porridge or bran flakes, with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. If you prefer a dairy alternative like soya or almond milk, choose one that’s unsweetened and calcium-fortified.
egg and wholegrain toast with unsaturated spread (sunflower or olive oil)
unsweetened yogurt and fruit
fruity French toast
Find out more healthy breakfast swaps.

Lunch

a sandwich made with wholegrain bread or a wrap with chicken, turkey or fish, filled with plenty of salad
a bean or chickpea and tuna salad
a healthy soup such as our cauliflower and leek soup, paired with wholegrain/rye crispbreads
sesame salmon and broccoli microwave mug
...with a piece of fruit and an unsweetened yogurt.

Read more about healthy lunchtime swaps.

Dinner

lasagne and salad
roast chicken with potatoes and vegetables
Thai chicken stir fry
Our healthier fish, chips and peas
mixed vegetable and bean curry
chicken tortillas and salad
Healthy snacks for type 1 diabetes

Sometimes, you might need to eat a small snack between meals, to help keep blood glucose levels up. Regular snacks can make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight so check with the diabetes team for specific advice that is tailored for your diabetes management.

The healthiest snack choices are unsweetened yogurts, unsalted nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables instead of crisps, chips, biscuits and chocolates. But watch your portions still – it’ll help you keep an eye on your weight.

Read more about healthy snack swaps.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi everyone, I hope you are all having a lovely day.

I thought I’d ask as I recently found Hartleys no added sugar jellies which are practically no carbs and perfect for a sensible sweet treat now and again with no spikes and good control!

I wonder if anyone else knows of any no added sugar sweet treats like cake brands that I may find at my local supermarket so I can shake things up every now again to prevent any bad snacking.

I was diagnosed type 1 Thursday 30th Oct and from that day fourth I quit smoking (ecig 6-7 years) and all sugars (had a very bad diet).

really struggling with cravings, have found 1 square of dark chocolate helps now and again.
You can make cheesecake with sweetener, lemon flavour, eggs, cream cheese and ground almonds if flour’s needed. No biscuit base of course.
Aldi’s used to do boxes of sugar free sweets in a variety of flavours. I’ve not been there for a while now but they used to be near the checkout.
The sugar-free jelly’s great.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
You can make cheesecake with sweetener, lemon flavour, eggs, cream cheese and ground almonds if flour’s needed. No biscuit base of course.
Aldi’s used to do boxes of sugar free sweets in a variety of flavours. I’ve not been there for a while now but they used to be near the checkout.
The sugar-free jelly’s great.
You’re the best fairy godmother! Thanks for your help! Have a nice evening, talk soon x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the moment you are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes you are likely to be faced with what seems like an endless list of new tasks that need to become part of everyday life – injections, testing, treating a hypo, monitoring and eating a healthy, balanced diet. No wonder it can all seem daunting and overwhelming.

One of your first questions is likely to be “what can I eat and drink?” But, with so much to take in, you could still come away from appointments feeling unsure about the answer.

Plus, there are lots of myths about diabetes and food that you will need to navigate too. So if you aren’t sure about what you can and can’t eat, we have information for you, so you can manage your type 1 diabetes with confidence.

In one word... anything. It may come as a surprise, but all kinds of food are fine for people with type 1 diabetes to eat.

With more flexible insulin regimens and the use of insulin pumps, the days of “do's and don'ts” are long gone. The way to go nowadays is to try and fit your diabetes treatment around your current lifestyle. But the same healthy, balanced diet is recommended for everyone, which includes food from all the main food groups.

It is a good idea to include some carbs with your meals as, without carbohydrate, your insulin may cause blood glucose levels to drop too low. Choose healthier carbs such as wholegrains, starchy foods, fruit and veg, pulses, unsweetened yogurt and milk, nut and seeds.

There is no strong evidence that a low carb diet is safe or beneficial for people with type 1 diabetes.

Before your diagnosis of diabetes, it is likely that you experienced extreme thirst. It is a good idea to avoid sugary drinks and fruit juices as a way of quenching your thirst. They usually put blood glucose levels up very high and very quickly – which is why they can be a useful treatment for a hypo (low blood glucose levels).

Instead, drink water, sugar-free and diet soft drinks. Tea and coffee are still OK to include, too. Read more about what to drink when you have diabetes.

Don’t bother with foods labelled ‘diabetic’ or ‘suitable for diabetics’. These foods contain similar amounts of calories and fat, and they can affect your blood glucose levels. They are usually more expensive and can have a laxative effect. Stick to your usual foods. If you want to have an occasional treat, go for your normal treats and watch your portion sizes.

All carbs affect blood sugar levels, and the total amount of carbs you eat will have the biggest effect on your blood glucose levels.

Carb counting is really important to keep your blood sugar levels steady. This means matching insulin to the amount of carbs you eat and drink.

It takes time and effort, but once you get the hang of it, carb counting can lead to better blood sugar control. It also gives you more choice over when – and how much – you eat. You can enjoy special occasions and treats by making changes to insulin doses.

You might need to lose, gain or maintain your weight, but it’s important to make healthier food choices whilst you are doing this.

Extra education can help you to manage the amount of carbohydrate you eat and the insulin you take to help control blood glucose levels.

There’s a lot to learn about type 1 diabetes. And knowing about diabetes is crucial to managing your diabetes. It can take some commitment but, in the long run, things become much easier.

There's no such thing as a 'diabetic diet’ for type 1. Your diet should include making healthier food choices that are lower in saturated fat, sugar and salt.

control blood fats
control blood pressure
This can also help to reduce your risk of diabetes complications, including heart disease and stroke. As with any lifestyle changes, making gradual and realistic changes over a longer period of time is more likely to lead to success. See a registered dietitian for specific advice and an eating plan that is tailored to your individual needs and lifestyle.

Your diet and insulin

If you are using a basal bolus insulin regime, injecting several times a day, or you’re on an insulin pump then it's possible to be much more flexible in how many carbs you can eat and when.

Most people who follow this regime will count the carbohydrates that they eat and drink, and then calculate how much insulin they need to take. The amount of insulin will be adjusted depending on how much carbohydrate they are eating and other factors, such as physical activity, blood sugar levels or illness.

This can let you be more flexible with your food choices and meal times, without compromising your blood glucose control.

If you are on a twice-daily fixed insulin regimen you need to have regular meal times and eat roughly the same carbohydrate portion at these meals from day to day.

More carbohydrate than usual can cause blood glucose levels to go too high. In contrast, eating less carbs than usual can cause a hypo.

I think carb counting has been one of the most beneficial things for managing my diabetes along with managing my insulin to cover food before eating.

What do you normally eat? If the answer includes some carbohydrate at each meal then really there is nothing more to consider for now – but try to go with healthier carb options, and be aware of your portion sizes.

Try and eat five portions of fruit and veg a day by incorporating them at mealtimes, and swap low fibre carbs, such as white bread, white rice and highly-processed cereals, for wholegrain varieties.

You can check food labels when you’re looking for foods high in fibre if you’re unsure. Get advice on understanding food labels.

Breakfast

a bowl of wholegrain cereal such as porridge or bran flakes, with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. If you prefer a dairy alternative like soya or almond milk, choose one that’s unsweetened and calcium-fortified.
fruity French toast

Lunch

a sandwich made with wholegrain bread or a wrap with chicken, turkey or fish, filled with plenty of salad
a healthy soup such as our cauliflower and leek soup, paired with wholegrain/rye crispbreads

Dinner

lasagne and salad
Thai chicken stir fry

Sometimes, you might need to eat a small snack between meals, to help keep blood glucose levels up. Regular snacks can make it difficult to maintain a healthy weight so check with the diabetes team for specific advice that is tailored for your diabetes management.

The healthiest snack choices are unsweetened yogurts, unsalted nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables instead of crisps, chips, biscuits and chocolates. But watch your portions still – it’ll help you keep an eye on your weight.

Hi @Clivethedrive ,

Great post.
Do you have any of the recipies featured in the menus for the lunches & dinners?
The cauliflower & leek soup sounds lovely for starters..

Reactions: Choosehappy

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
INGREDIENTS for cauliflower and leek soup

1 cauliflower–florets separated into medium sized bits
3 leeks–outer parts removed, cleared of dirt and sliced thinly
1 oz butter
3 tbs olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 liter organic vegetable stock (I use stock cubes.)
salt & pepper
Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan.

Add the leeks and sweat them gently, covered, until soft.

Add the cauliflower and bay leaves and mix well.

Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then turn the temperature down.

Simmer until cauliflower is tender–not much more than ten minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Lift out a few small florets and liquidize the rest.

Drop a few of the whole florets in each bowl when you serve the soup.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again, an early early morning hello. Sorry late replies to everyone, I’m glad everyone is doing well. I’m doing okay, I wholeheartedly agree that my diabetes is not my managers business, I don’t agree with what she says about it.

Anyway, second lockdown is a bummer, I haven’t seen my family for 2 years. How I know this is my baby cousin turned 2 yesterday. But on the grand scheme of things, my family are safe.

Diabetes is the same old pain in the buns. I’ve recently read up on the newer CGMs and pumps, Abbott and Dexcom got some competition.

I’ve been making me own plant based mylks because I’ve read up that gums in vegan drinks aren’t great for the body. So I’ve been whisking hemp juice, not bad, but I need a little bit of sweetener in it.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!

control blood fats
control blood pressure

Your diet and insulin

Breakfast

fruity French toast

Lunch

Dinner

lasagne and salad
Thai chicken stir fry

Wow thank you for all this info i am going to have a good read after work!
Hello again, an early early morning hello. Sorry late replies to everyone, I’m glad everyone is doing well. I’m doing okay, I wholeheartedly agree that my diabetes is not my managers business, I don’t agree with what she says about it.

Anyway, second lockdown is a bummer, I haven’t seen my family for 2 years. How I know this is my baby cousin turned 2 yesterday. But on the grand scheme of things, my family are safe.

Diabetes is the same old pain in the buns. I’ve recently read up on the newer CGMs and pumps, Abbott and Dexcom got some competition.

I’ve been making me own plant based mylks because I’ve read up that gums in vegan drinks aren’t great for the body. So I’ve been whisking hemp juice, not bad, but I need a little bit of sweetener in it.
I can’t wait to see my family again xx

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A good friend in another state just got exposed to covid. Her boss/owner who is almost 80 just tested positive and he has been in the office all week. So she is worried about him and about her hubby who is older than her and I am very worried about her. She is healthy but notoriously gets pneumonia easy, but her husband has bad COPD and is in very poor health. That's got to worry her big time.

The only hope is she is in a one room office with a door that stays closed. She masks up anytime someone comes to talks to her before she opens the door. But I know she was at at least one meeting in a group where her boss was for a length of time, all wearing a mask. They have been being careful, it's a larger construction company and some of the people have been positive and spread it amongst their crews. But just not sure how much that mask wearing is protective enough around her boss she has had to interact with.

Very worrisome.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone. I do hope your friend and her husband are ok @Marie2, it’s such a worrying time for all of us oldies.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MeiChanski , it's good to hear from you!

@Fairygodmother I haven't seen my turtles for a week..............the north shore where they are at this time of year can get very choppy and we have been having rain.................I will have to wait until next week to try as we have vet appointments, my hubby has a skin doctor appointment, the dogs have nail trimming appointments and the housecleaner comes tomorrow.And forget the weekend, the beaches have more people at them and we have been having tourists coming back and now have some cases on our island.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well that was an interesting and unexpected hypo just now. Yes, properly blood checked. Anyone else find that it’s like shut down roulette, different functions affected in a random pattern? This last one was, I think, concentrated on my inner ears, and I just had to lie still until the jelly baby and rich tea had taken effect. Sometimes it’s my legs, sometimes my speech centre, sometimes adrenal-induced thought patterns.
Sorry, @MeiChanski, it struck before I could say nice to see you again.
Anyone know how [USER=334119]@porl69
is?[/USER]

Last edited:
Reactions: MeiChanski
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
INGREDIENTS for cauliflower and leek soup

1 cauliflower–florets separated into medium sized bits
3 leeks–outer parts removed, cleared of dirt and sliced thinly
1 oz butter
3 tbs olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 liter organic vegetable stock (I use stock cubes.)
salt & pepper
Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan.

Add the leeks and sweat them gently, covered, until soft.

Add the cauliflower and bay leaves and mix well.

Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then turn the temperature down.

Simmer until cauliflower is tender–not much more than ten minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Lift out a few small florets and liquidize the rest.

Drop a few of the whole florets in each bowl when you serve the soup.

Your time as a chef are great Mr Clive, thank you :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
IMG_1659.jpg
try thissausage meat and bacon
Suet pastry pudding
225g of self raising flour
Pinch of salt
100g of shredded suet(veg-or beef)
400g of sausage meat or skinned sausages
100g of bacon ( smoked if preferred)
1 large onion peeled and diced
1 teaspoon of fresh or dried sage
Directions
Grease a 2 pint pudding basin
Mix flour suet and salt together in a large mixing bowl,add sufficient water to bind into a non sticky dough
Turn dough out onto floured board ,reserve a third for the pudding lid
Roll out dough to line pudding bowl leaving about half an inch of top of bowl ...to allow for rising
Next mix sausage meat ..bacon ( chopped into small pieces )and sage,then put in pastry lined basin
Then roll out reserved suet dough to make the lid,use a little cold water to seal the lid
Cover the pudding lid with buttered grease proof paper making a fold to allow for expansion
Do the same again with tin foil
Place in a steamer with water three quarters up side of pudding,then steam for 4 hours checking water level frequently
Enjoy
Ps this pud’mirowaves very well for next day

Reactions: karen8967