Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@DCUKMod and @Marie 2 thank you for the shingles pain advice. I need some. I will really try anything because the pain is terrible.

This is the third time I’ve had it, and this time it really hurts. After the sores healed I was told I could/should try to get the shingles vaccination. I found this cut the nerve pain in 1/2, but it was still tremendous.

For the 2nd shot in that series is when I learned how badly the vaccination hurt. Maybe the 1st shot was just a distraction.

The weather was good here so I pulled the cap off my Jeep. But in reaching in the back to pick up something for the floor I scraped off my cgm sensor off the back of my arm. I was disappointed, but found the manufacturer will replace it. So the problem is solved.

My dad had shingles when he was in his 60's, he was quite ill with it, on one side of his face and he never got ill, only time my dad was off work, he was poorly, bless <3

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi @Choosehappy , and welcome to the forum!
I usually drink a liter of coffee with milk a day and often two big mugs of tea as well. Doesn't seem to affect my blood glucose much, although I may need a little insulin for the milk.

When scrolling through the forum it's useful to check what type of diabetes people have. Many T2's control their diabetes by upping the fats and lowering the carbs in their diet. As a T1 you can inject for your food, although many of us find getting the dosing right on lower carbs easier.
Why did you change to skimmed milk? Nothing wrong with that but if you prefer something else I'd drink what I prefer!
Hi there, thanks you for replying. I don’t know I guess I’m just trying to be as healthy as possible and found out that skimmed milk was better for me. I had a few cups of tea in a row recently and found my blood sugars seemed to raise quite a lot so I thought it might be the milk or caffeine. I have completely cut sugar, maybe I got my carb counting wrong that day... all I can do is keep trying!

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Welcome @Choosehappy love that handle! As @Antje77 says be careful when figuring out type 1/type 2 posters. Why swap to decaf? Unless you are having a shed load of sugar with your drink. Just keep doing what you normally do.
Thank you very much, I read that skimmed was a lot better for me and found when I was using whole fat my blood sugars were raising quite a bit. I long to be able to drink as much tea as I like throughout the day (of course within moderation) and not have to worry about my bloods as it will stop me snacking and it chills me out hehe

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Also can any type 1s tell me if low carb is good for type 1 generally or if you think carb counting is best to get the best control of blood sugars? Do you tend to eat the same things throughout the week with abit more flexibility at weekends? Sorry to bother you with many questions, my nurse is fab I have just bee. I’m so much shock that I haven’t taken everything in, I am proud of my first week though I think I am doing okay

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Choosehappy and welcome!

Caffeine has absolutely no impact on my blood sugars at all - but I drink black coffee. If I have a very occasional hot chocolate, which will have a bit of milk in, I would take insulin for that, either at the meal before if knew I'd be definitely having the milky drink later, or at the time I have the drink just for the drink.

Skimmed milk has slightly more carbs than full fat milk.

Food really has to be your choice, what makes you feel healthy and happy and you can get the insulin right for! Personally, I do better on fewer carbs than my non-diabetic friends, a relatively consistent amount for each meal up to what works for me, which varies with my activity levels. The tricky bit is that is not always predictable.

So, I eat very few carbs in the morning, more at lunchtime, then a bit less in the evenings on a workday, loads on a very active day, very few on a lazy day! I like variety in my food, and since being on insulin, have rejoiced in the freedom to eat what I choose.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also can any type 1s tell me if low carb is good for type 1 generally or if you think carb counting is best to get the best control of blood sugars? Do you tend to eat the same things throughout the week with abit more flexibility at weekends? Sorry to bother you with many questions, my nurse is fab I have just bee. I’m so much shock that I haven’t taken everything in, I am proud of my first week though I think I am doing okay

Choosehappy - I'm not a T1, but I think it's fair to say that as a T1, there isn't a choice of low carb or carb counting. Even when eating in a low carb way, the carbs have to be counted. There are just likely to be fewer of them.

I have absorbed many people living with T1 that they find things if they manage the amount of carbs they eat, but equally, there are many T1s who eat exactly as they did, prior to diagnosis.

Provided you manage to match your insulin to what you eat and drink, you can decide whether or not to enjoy, tea, cake, chips, or whatever else you might like.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Choosehappy - I'm not a T1, but I think it's fair to say that as a T1, there isn't a choice of low carb or carb counting. Even when eating in a low carb way, the carbs have to be counted. There are just likely to be fewer of them.

I have absorbed many people living with T1 that they find things if they manage the amount of carbs they eat, but equally, there are many T1s who eat exactly as they did, prior to diagnosis.

Provided you manage to match your insulin to what you eat and drink, you can decide whether or not to enjoy, tea, cake, chips, or whatever else you might like.
Thank you very much for your responses, I really like reading these forums as they are really helping me understand my new diagnosis and it’s wonderful to have support x

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I am newly diagnosed type 1 just last week and trying to come to terms and get organised with my new diet and of course monitoring my blood sugars.

One thing I love is tea, I have swapped to decaf and skimmed milk and I am also going to trial fruit teas instead however I am worried about the impact of caffeine. (I love hot drinks and they get me through my working week!)

Homw many teas/coffees to do you tend to drink per day, does it affect your blood sugar? Also I have seen people in the forums stating they are having their hot drinks with cream? Is this better?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You may find for you that milk may increase the BGs. Pending on how much you like to consume? (Lactose. It is a form of sugar.) the fat content may just dalay when it hits you?

Back in the "olden days" when I was newly diagnosed, regarding hypos in the "handbook.? "tell mummy you feel funny. She gave some milk."

Coffee is a "stimulant" with the caffeine.. Use your meter. Better still, a CGM to spot the trends in reaction.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Your basal dose will probably be what it will be, when the dust settles after being newly diagnosed?
(Though it will be always up for review from time to time.)

However, in my experience. The less carbs you need to bolus for can have less impact on a busy day with "if" the hypos, sould things go dodgy with the timing' miscalculation or just something throwing a little "extra" at you task- wise as a challenge...

Reactions: Choosehappy

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Choosehappy Some people get a slight rise from caffeine, coffee can cause that for me but tea doesn't. I am not a coffee drinker though and have tea all day long. But you can drink or eat whatever you want, the trick is just learning to dose for it. One thing that we all commonly have sometimes is something we call DP or FOTF, DP is when we release hormones that increase our blood sugars a few hours before we awaken. FOTF is when they increase after we have arisen. Both happen without eating and both can cause some insulin resistance in the morning. Anything I consume in the morning I have to take extra insulin for versus the afternoon. I usually don't eat lol, it's easier for me as I was never a breakfast person anyways.

We can all vary though and vary day to day especially when you are first diagnosed.

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Choosehappy, I agree with @Antje77 that if you drink a lot of it you may need to think about a little insulin for the milk. I stopped drinking anything with caffeine a couple of years ago (nothing to do with T1) and on the odd occasion when I've accidentally had caffeine, I do see a rise in bg - but that may just be me! It takes a while to figure out what works for you in all sorts of ways. That may be different from other people, and lots of us find that things which affect others don't affets us and vice versa. Welcome to the best place I know to get help and advice, and good luck!

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi @Choosehappy Some people get a slight rise from caffeine, coffee can cause that for me but tea doesn't. I am not a coffee drinker though and have tea all day long. But you can drink or eat whatever you want, the trick is just learning to dose for it. One thing that we all commonly have sometimes is something we call DP or FOTF, DP is when we release hormones that increase our blood sugars a few hours before we awaken. FOTF is when they increase after we have arisen. Both happen without eating and both can cause some insulin resistance in the morning. Anything I consume in the morning I have to take extra insulin for versus the afternoon. I usually don't eat lol, it's easier for me as I was never a breakfast person anyways.

We can all vary though and vary day to day especially when you are first diagnosed.
Yes, I think I might have this, I’m going to keep a hard eye on things to hopefully get used to it all

Reactions: Marie 2

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Good morning everyone a good day,welcome choosehappy
Thank you so much, I’m back to work and finding normality again, I am still very emotional. I wouldn’t say depressed because I know I will never let this beat me but I do keep having my moments of tears, I hope it will not last long and I will be strong again soon!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Welcome @Choosehappy! It’s a bit of a minefield finding out what works for you in the early days. As they say time and time again, we’re all different.
I drink a few lakes of coffee, caffeinated, every day, and about a pint and a half of tea. It doesn’t seem to have any effect on my blood sugars whether with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, though I prefer skimmed. Full fat now tastes yuk.
I suspect your blood sugars will become easier to manage once you’ve cracked carb counting. Have you checked out the carb counting on Bertieonline?
To blow low carb out of the water I’m cooking Christmas cakes today, one for older daughter, one for us, though I usually have just a square inch or two at a time and give a shout to the pen to prepare for a big load.
I’ve soaked the fruit in Guinness for about 36 hours, husband says he’ll get the brandy to feed it with, and now it’s just deciding whether to go for half flour half ground almonds or not. I cooked cakes with ground almonds last year when coeliac son-in-law was with us and they were soooooo moist and scrumptious I’ll probably go with half and half and wish I had enough ground almond for total.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Welcome @Choosehappy! It’s a bit of a minefield finding out what works for you in the early days. As they say time and time again, we’re all different.
I drink a few lakes of coffee, caffeinated, every day, and about a pint and a half of tea. It doesn’t seem to have any effect on my blood sugars whether with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, though I prefer skimmed. Full fat now tastes yuk.
I suspect your blood sugars will become easier to manage once you’ve cracked carb counting. Have you checked out the carb counting on Bertieonline?
To blow low carb out of the water I’m cooking Christmas cakes today, one for older daughter, one for us, though I usually have just a square inch or two at a time and give a shout to the pen to prepare for a big load.
I’ve soaked the fruit in Guinness for about 36 hours, husband says he’ll get the brandy to feed it with, and now it’s just deciding whether to go for half flour half ground almonds or not. I cooked cakes with ground almonds last year when coeliac son-in-law was with us and they were soooooo moist and scrumptious I’ll probably go with half and half and wish I had enough ground almond for total.
Thank you so much for your lovely response, it’s fantastic to hear that you are baking a cake! I do have a sweet tooth so I would like to be able to have abit of something every few months :)

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you had type 1? I’m wondering when the anxiety will fade x

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
The cake sounds scrummy
Have you got a recipe please @Fairygodmother Want half and half cake

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you had type 1? I’m wondering when the anxiety will fade x
I’ve had it for 51 years. It was a bit different when I was diagnosed, not much info, glass syringes and big stainless steel needles, all of which had to be boiled etc etc. The only thing that really struck home was a leaflet with a group on the front feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar Square and the caption “You, too, can have a normal life”. My response was Aw heck, not like that! I took lots of risks, ate more or less sensibly, with a bit more of the less than the more, and only really learned about T1 when I had my first daughter and the wonderful team in Bristol showed me what had been put in place by then. Luckily, I’ve no complications, but I’d be having a better time if it weren’t for Covid. Meh!

Reactions: Marie 2