Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I hope your enjoying the weekend.
I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I've got.
As some of you are aware my diabetes isn't great and my kidneys are even worse and due to this I suffer with really bad cramp in my hands, feet and legs. I've been on medication for a while for it which only really takes the edge of it but my doctor has stopped my medication for it for the time being as he said they will make my kidneys worse. He wants to see what the hospital want to do. He has told me the only thing I can do is find some home remedies to help while I'm waiting. I'm really struggling with it, Thursday night I had one spell of cramps that lasted an hour in both legs. I'm having trouble eating dinner as I keep getting in my hands.
I'm not expecting it to go completely but I would love to try and ease it of a bit.
Any ideas will be much appreciated

Hey lee,

I’m sorry to hear, would home remedies like having a relaxing bath or a massage help? It could be relaxing to take your mind off it.

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon everyone,

I hope all is well, I had a hypo last night that lasted over an hour. I downed over 40g of carbs and waited and waited. I didn’t get much sleep after that party. Luckily I didn’t over treat, 8.9 this morning.

Reactions: karen8967

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hey lee,

I’m sorry to hear, would home remedies like having a relaxing bath or a massage help? It could be relaxing to take your mind off it.
I do agree with MeiChanski regarding bathing, I was only diagnosed a month or so ago but I am getting bg a lot of joint/bone pains and aches ever since and I also have symptoms of IBS. The doctors are looking into this for me and we are doing lots of blood tests ect but one thing that is really helping me is hot baths, they are so calming and I always feel so much better once I come out of the bath.

Another thing that seems to help me is walking, it seems to ease the pain a little when it starts up, sometimes my foot will annoy me abit during the walk but otherwise it really does take my mind of it, although I appreciate this will be a lot different for everyone depending on how much pain you are experiencing. Mine is currently slow and not progressing much just nagging!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a lot of cushions or pillows, keeping it elevated helps as well.

Hi hope you all had a good day really happy with my graph today it was terrible yesterday
IMG_1637.jpg

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi hope you all had a good day really happy with my graph today it was terrible yesterday View attachment 46074
Amazing results today for you! @CharlieType1Diabetic

I am also celebrating the beat results I have had since diag I think started the day on 5.3 and ending on 5.3

managed to do all my carb counting correctly by the looks of it, turns out my morning ratio is a lot higher than my lunch and evening meal ratios

still not got used to bg and excercise but I’ll get there, got a book coming tomorrow to start reading which came recommended on one of these forums to help me with that

finally, I can’t wait till Christmas!!!! I’m one of those annoying people who just loves Christmas and I had my Christmas cards sent out in November

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up at 5.20 and couldn't get back to sleep. Hate it when that happens, I just feel cheated!

Really cold again today, meeting my friend and her dog at the secure field this morning so both dogs'll get muddy. Mine has just come in from the garden reeking of fox and with something suspicious about the fur round her neck - think she'll need a wash before we go and get muddy and she needs another one :arghh:. Not the best start all round really, hope your day starts better than mine!

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Morning everyone, I woke up at 4.3 today, bit lower than usual. Looked at the news and can see that they have given out the first UK vaccine to a women called Margaret. I have just been reflecting back on this craziness since the first reports of the virus in December. I remember I was living with my grandma at the time as I had decided to take a break from London and we were thinking about moving back North. I said to my Grandma gosh this sounds bad this virus and she said ahh it’ll be fine. A few months later...

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon all,
Brilliant day, sun, dry and a big long walk. Numbers good first thing, well for me anyway, first time in ages in range. I did a correction knowing the liver would do the usual.
Walk into town and back about 3 miles all in the sun
Before lunch a stunning 5.9 Yey!!
AND the DVLA gave me an early present. I got a new driving licence valid til 2023. I'm ecstatic!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And back to Lockdown 1 insulin ratios now I'm confined to the house in isolation. Test and Trace are saying one thing and my workplace something else. It, um, suits me to stick to the workplace date which is longer than the Test and Trace date which would send me back to work for 3 hours before official breakup time.

I am feeling absolutely fine, have plenty to do and just narked about the use of my own devices for paid work purposes again.

In the meantime, I have broken the habits of a lifetime and opened the two Christmas presents I had been given last week. I had a hunch one was a book I was really looking forwards to reading. I have ordered something else for my Christmas reading!!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up at 5.20 and couldn't get back to sleep. Hate it when that happens, I just feel cheated!

Really cold again today, meeting my friend and her dog at the secure field this morning so both dogs'll get muddy. Mine has just come in from the garden reeking of fox and with something suspicious about the fur round her neck - think she'll need a wash before we go and get muddy and she needs another one :arghh:. Not the best start all round really, hope your day starts better than mine!
Hugs hh1 x

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
I just bought these new fibre 90 nut/cake bars but forgot to check ingredients, it said 1.0 sugar per bar and they are low carb so I thought would be nice for a treat now and again without insulin and I ate one on the way home. Stupid me, had malitol in it if that’s how you spell it which My stomach doesn’t agree with and I was only just getting my stomach better! I also forgot not to give insulin for vegetables today, how stupid can I get!! And i hypoed, it’s been a terrible day, but as @karen8967 said this morning, we have tomorrow! I had a feeling I’d need that quote today, I must of been forseeing what was coming!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Malitol really upsets my stomach too @Choosehappy Instantly I get so nauseous. Xylitol I am rushing to the bathroom if I have very much of it. Erythritol is the only one that doesn't seem to bother me, but it's expensive so they don't use it for a lot of things. I mostly just stick to stevia as a substitute for some things, I do fine with it with no issues. But I also use unrefined sugar, agave etc.

Some of the sugar alcohols you have to dose for. I think it varies per person? But when I attended a seminar by Gary Scheiner he had mentioned you might have to dose as much at half the rate of other regular carbs. How it was explained is they are metabolized so fast that they don't spike blood sugar in a type 2 or normal person, but as a type 1 they are still something. But it seems to vary per person as some have said in the past they don't have to dose for it at all.

The thing that really threw me off is I bought a ready made vegan protein drink, high protein, low carb. I thought, hey great a snack I don't have to dose for especially if I'm out and about. So wrong. That high protein with no balance of carbs for me and my blood sugars shot through the roof. I can eat high protein and not dose for it as long as I have some carbs with it.

Reactions: hh1

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Malitol really upsets my stomach too @Choosehappy Instantly I get so nauseous. Xylitol I am rushing to the bathroom if I have very much of it. Erythritol is the only one that doesn't seem to bother me, but it's expensive so they don't use it for a lot of things. I mostly just stick to stevia as a substitute for some things, I do fine with it with no issues. But I also use unrefined sugar, agave etc.

Some of the sugar alcohols you have to dose for. I think it varies per person? But when I attended a seminar by Gary Scheiner he had mentioned you might have to dose as much at half the rate of other regular carbs. How it was explained is they are metabolized so fast that they don't spike blood sugar in a type 2 or normal person, but as a type 1 they are still something. But it seems to vary per person as some have said in the past they don't have to dose for it at all.

The thing that really threw me off is I bought a ready made vegan protein drink, high protein, low carb. I thought, hey great a snack I don't have to dose for especially if I'm out and about. So wrong. That high protein with no balance of carbs for me and my blood sugars shot through the roof. I can eat high protein and not dose for it as long as I have some carbs with it.
Gosh, sometimes i just feel like there’s so much to learn and will I ever really get it and be able to look after myself fully and not experience so many lows and highs all the time. Carb counting seems so easy till you throw in too much of this and too much of that you know? But that’s why I like coming on here because the way you guys talk about it all like it is second nature gives me hope that will be me one day too ❤️ All I can do for now is try my best, on my libre thing it says my 30 day average is 7 and I am assuming that is very good as I was only diagnosed a a month ago?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You're doing great @Choosehappy It's very difficult at the beginning because it's a steep learning curve. Plus you have a honeymoon period that throws in a wrench. A lot of this stuff is learn as you go to what effects you individually. The thing to remember is we are all different and we can respond differently.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
You're doing great @Choosehappy It's very difficult at the beginning because it's a steep learning curve. Plus you have a honeymoon period that throws in a wrench. A lot of this stuff is learn as you go to what effects you individually. The thing to remember is we are all different and we can respond differently.
Aww thank you @Marie 2 I just try to see it as I can only do my best and aslong as I try my best I can always be proud of myself and this will also mean that I do try to learn and improve more and more. Bit of a bad day is all today. My monitor has also decided to break on me tonight for goodness knows whatever reason. I use a freestyle optimum neo currently, thinking about moving across to sensor at some point but my gosh they are expensive! Not the machine but the sensors for your arms, as you would need 2 a month it’s £100! I don’t think I’d be eligible on nhs but I will enquire just incase