1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree it's too late. It was obvious before Christmas that we would be in lockdown now. A patient from London who was critically ill, was transported to Leeds for an ICU bed, and have read of others being moved around the country. Dangerous for the patient, and if they sadly don't recover, their family may not be well enough to travel to say their goodbyes, even if the hospital allow it. Absolutely heartbreaking for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Yes @Robinredbreast to me it would be much more important to stay safe while it's so bad right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't keep us in the dark with the mushroom cultivation. ;)

Seriously. Maybe some photos of the progress, as it goes along...? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jaylee

Staff Member

Hi,

I'm thinking of investing in a "green screen." Been writing new songs during these lock downs.. Just for fun, got two albums worth of stuff..
    Video wise. A little short of ideas with old band footage & the location either being around our makeshift studios or me posturing in my house... Apart from one of the bands I'm a member of. I haven't seen the others since the first lockdown.

Lol, may even take a few photos with the wife & I hanging out in Asia? Which would have been, what could have been..

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning Karen, morning all. So here we are again, locked down, and at a bad time of year for it. However! I'm not about to complain, I can't change what other people do, including those who make decisions, so it's a case of managing what I do, including being thankful for where I live, not having to worry about work, having my dog and being able to get out every day and walk in beautiful landscapes, being in a bubble with a very good local friend who I see most days, and being able to get groceries by collecting again. I really feel for all those in a much worse situation, and hope you all are staying safe and well. I often think about @LooperCat; if you're still looking in at all, do let us know how you're doing. Hope you're staying as safe as possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Peeking up above the parapet with a potent mixture of exhaustion, (yes, this early in the term we are exhausted) exasperation, and excessive expectations weighing on all of us in education.

But, on we go...

I was pondering the meaning of the noisy fireworks far too close to my house last night and concluded they were not celebrating either Epiphany or Orthodox Christmas. It has been an excessively stretched fireworks season around here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jaylee

Staff Member

Fireworks?
    New Years was foggy my way. Though there were a few bursts of them at midnight here & there. We couldn't see them?
    Then on the following Sunday night, some were let off too..

But then, bonfire night seems to get spread out in November..

Pretty foggy today..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, I’ve been malingering with hurty teeth. But I will keep updating mushroom progress.
    The spiders web of mycellium threads is growing thicker and one or two small white nodules have appeared so I’m really hoping . . They’re white mushrooms, all the chestnut ones had been sold, chestnut ones are the favourite here too.
    On a good note, I went to get teeth checked at the dentist yesterday and had surprise root canal work. Back in two weeks to replace the temporary filling with a permanent one. Hooray for dental services. All very well protected with masks etc.
    Photos of mushrooms later. I find fungi fascinating, we have so little appreciation of the work they do delivering water and nutrients to growing plants.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Fairygodmother

Yes, I think about @LooperCat every time I hear of the way Wales is overwhelmed. I do hope she’s ok.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Fairygodmother

How do you feel about communal worship being allowed?
    I know it provides relief and support for people, but is it safe in an enclosed space?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all (just!). My trip to the enclosed field was the best yet in the sense that it was so frozen that both dog and I left there as clean as when we arrived, and after she'd had a really good run. It's foggy here too @Jaylee, seemed to spook my dog a little at first as she couldn't see to the end of the field. Didn't stop her chasing birds though.

Hope you all have a good day, and stay safe.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm worried that communal worship is still being allowed in England. Our church has been closed since last March due to the logistics of getting a big congregation into a medium sized church, we would need many services per Sunday etc. Relatives in Ireland had a local church that held a service, all according to guidelines, and quite a few people caught Covid, with some sadly dying.

• Hug Hug x 2
  15. Fairygodmother

That’s sad. And it was a church service that spread the virus to other provinces in South Korea.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Fairygodmother

Mushroom growing in process (if I get the photo uploaded)

2DEFCAB4-232D-4E3F-B499-B89347EEF07C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Japes

I wish it were not. I am hoping if enough of our lot vote with their feet and stay home that we will hit the point where it will not be worth opening until All This Is Over. The Food Bank keeps going quietly behind the scenes, I keep in touch with the younger element and point them in the direction of things to support them, other people keep in touch with the housebound, and frankly, the service as it currently happens does not really provide what I go to church for. I have a prayer routine at home which suits me better in these times.

We do keep the doors open, and some windows open, during the Sunday service. Which is helping to keep some people away whilst it is being too cold for them. We've also never hit current capacity numbers and being good Anglicans, we spread out well anyway without being told to!

I am actually more concerned about the nursery folk who use the adjoining hall premises and the shared facilities for hall and church. So, I no longer do any organ practise during the week or do more than drop in the paperwork I'm responsible for on Wednesday night after they've all gone, wearing disposable gloves going in and out, and disposing of them ASAP.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    #29637 Japes, Jan 7, 2021 at 6:38 PM
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  18. Japes

Fireworks. Definitely. I found at least two of the remains in my garden this morning and the rest I saw as I went out for my constitutional as they'd let them all off from a small piece of grassed open ground rather than their own garden the other side of the fence.

We got off lightly, in some ways, this year as Diwali fell close enough to Bonfire Night and was after it, so we didn't get the strung out from mid-October we can get when Diwali is before Bonfire Night. I put down excessive November fireworks more to Lockdown 2 frustrations, so I suppose I could be generous and put this down to that, discovering the debris out on the open ground kind of killed any sense of generosity I had.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Japes

@Fairygodmother - mushrooms were the one thing missing in the supermarket today. I may have to start growing them if it carries on! They are a staple of my veggie ways of eating and have been since I got to choose my own food. My parents both hated them so I never had them until I was an adult.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

We had a ton of fireworks this year on New Years Eve. They are legal here from 9-12. But it started at 7 and didn't end until 2am plus. I say they are legal but not the ones that shoot into the sky and there was no public display put on this year and the sky was full of the illegal ones. Some kind of bomb sounding one too that was just a big boom. They started setting those off days/weeks before with many complaints about it. All I can think of is because of Covid people went nuts with fireworks this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook