1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning Karen, good morning all.
    @Japes, I ordered the kits online, so glad I did!!!! I got one for younger daughter too but younger grandson loves mushrooms so much she said it wasn’t worth having as he’d not be trusted to leave any fruit until it was big enough to be worthwhile.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

What a colossal muck up here. I went snorkeling for the first time since the death of my dog. So I am not "used" to the long swim and while I only stayed out for 2 hours, it was a strong current this time of year.

I thought I was going to stay nice and steady, no insulin in the morning other than my basal, I dropped to 5.2 which would be perfect on a normal day, but not to snorkel. So I downed about 20 carbs and by the time I was swimming I was 9.7. Okay fine I guess I won't have to worry about dropping too low...................but I never dropped at all. I think it was the exertion which as when I had started doing those long swims I would climb until I got used to it.

Okay dose to come down, dose to eat (pizza, really bad choice, will not be repeated after snorkeling) and watch me climb to a 14 for 5 friggin hours. And then drop and now I will have to watch for dropping too much because of all that snorkeling.............

It was worth it still, hopefully I still will think so after tonight.
    upload_2021-1-8_21-50-39.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 4
  4. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, very cold here though no frost or snow which we've had the rest of the week. Bgs responding nicely to dogged attempts to clear my garden as part of the simplification process, even in the face of this weather.

@Marie 2 hope you're all sorted now and thanks for the photo.

Have a good day all, I'm back off out the garden!

• Like Like x 1
  5. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Marie 2 It is all this extra thinking and work that makes this drafted condition not something you can ever switch off from. Snorkelling is harder for you than many others, but well done for doing what you want to and living your life. And hey! Those numbers are not there all the time, they are an unwelcome hiccup.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. karen8967

Good morning everyone FB_IMG_1561140088165.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Morning all!

I've tackled the weekly supermarket trip, (definitely best done before 8.00 a.m. in the nearest, but not totally preferred supermarket - I alternate between 3 places) done the now daily washing load, cleaned me, and am now hunkering down for the rest of the day.

We're as ready as we can be to re-enter the world of on-line learning next week, whilst not having all the information we need, and I have a whole list of tasks to keep me out of mischief when not actually engaged in a virtual classroom during my contracted working hours...

There are definitely going to be more students on-site from Monday, but interestingly, I've been told I'll be one of the last called back in as my line managers have agreed between themselves to use both the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable list and the Clinically Vulnerable list (unlike the dear soul who wrote my risk assessment who decided my public transport use was more of a risk than diabetes...I saw the point, but when I only used public transport when late or treating a hypo..) as there are more staff this year who are not on either list. As one of them cheerfully informed me as well, "We know you really will work at home and we want to keep you safe!"

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. Fairygodmother

Just to cheer you all up

I challenge you not to sing along.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. karen8967

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marie 2

All sorted now, but I knew a drop was coming so I went ahead and had a piece of pizza without any insulin a couple hours before I went to bed thinking it would help keep me higher hours later. I'm sure it helped, but I reduced my basal 50% and still within the first two hours of going to bed I had to drink half an OJ, a few vegan gummy bears and some chocolate soy milk.

It's really quite amazing what exercise does, and the different types of exercise. And what we have to figure out to compensate for it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. karen8967

Good morning everyone

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

This is actually a really well produced parody/satire.
    Apart from the lyrics, the vocals are indistinguishable from the original..

Nice find!

13. Fairygodmother

Yes, it’s real talent to do something so well dubbed. It’s been whizzing round the WhatsApp groups.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. karen8967

Good morning everyone

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Fairygodmother

Good morning Karen, good morning all.
    Our GP next door neighbour whatsapped us a good one this morning, I’ll try to get it on here later but can’t promise this oldie’s tech fingers will work. The teletubbies and Stravinsky’s Rites of Spring is an oldie too, makes me smile and look forward to the Spring Equinox.
    Hope you’re all keeping going - testing times, testing times.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fairygodmother

It’s horrid when everything that seems to go wrong becomes magnified by grief. So glad the snorkelling was worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Fairygodmother

Not the teletubbies, yet, but personally cheering:
    I basal tested from 00.30 to 12.30 and the basal’s right, it’s right! So the endless carb/doses juggling goes on, and on,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Those colourful space characters dancing to classical music arrangements?? :D

19. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Found a crack in my pump. It’s exciting to find something new, but not really. The pump will get replaced but I’ll have to program the new pump. I really hate programming a pump.

I wish they could be programmed by popping in a SIM card. Or like air dropping a bunch of photos via Bluetooth. Programming isn’t that easy. At least not yet.

• Hug Hug x 4
  20. Marie 2

@Jollymon Yea, I know what you mean! Twice now I've had to reprogram a new replacement pump. Luckily both times the old pump was still working so I could go along and copy in each step. I did take screen shots of all of my programming in case it failed completely. And besides going down the line and reprogramming it all, then you have to go back and recheck and recheck to make sure you set it right.

This last time I kept staring at the new one and thinking I needed to set it up and kept putting it off. Eventually it started not wanting to come on enough that it scared me into going ahead and switching it. But it's a pain

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook