Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Aye, about that :) I sacked the swimming but the gym was rewarding so I'm not sulking. after tea glucose is 8.8 flat line but rising and its got till 21,00 to start dropping before I take a .5u correction, it was nice pasta tho and I rolled it in parmesan :)

Not looking forward to tomorrow afternoon as we're scattering mums ashes at the crem, not looking forward that but will be glad when it's done, eldest child expects me dressed up so won't be impressed with my shorts and t-shirt....

Will be thinking of you tomorrow afternoon kev, hope you make a meaningful ceremony of the scattering. Like knikki says, it’s not an easy thing to do! When we scattered our lovely old aunt’s my sister and I searched long and hard for a place she’d like. She’d said she’d want to be in a popular area and everywhere was full of picnickers and children playing: don’t think they’d have appreciated getting ash in their sandwiches. We eventually found a lovely spot, in a quiet glade, no people and lots of trees and flowers - probably totally illegal!

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP Thanks :) was it wrong of me to titter as I read the 1st 3 lines, I'm cool about it tbh, closure I guess, and I've taken her to this place 3 or 4 times a year for the last 20 odd years anyway.

I just read a post on another thread by a lady 70 years into T1 and haven't stopped grinning since :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP Thanks :) was it wrong of me to titter as I read the 1st 3 lines, I'm cool about it tbh, closure I guess, and I've taken her to this place 3 or 4 times a year for the last 20 odd years anyway.

I just read a post on another thread by a lady 70 years into T1 and haven't stopped grinning since :)
Not wrong at all. Most of the party were peeing themselves laughing when it happened! Dan always did like the last word...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Robinredbreast yeah it is not good, I remember a few years ago having to claim unemployment because I was made redundant, after the first interview was not happy 2nd interview I turned up with a t-shirt on saying 'Dole Scum', didn't go down well :hilarious: and after they telling me what I would get and what was expected I asked if I could change my status, not repeating it here as it was not politically correct at all, that also did not go down well. :hilarious:

But yes a frustrating process when you have worked and contributed and want something in return your not treated at all well.

Universal Credit is a nightmare compared to the old signing on ( I did that when I was made redundant) The only reason I applied for it, with the help of CAB lady Wendy, is because I don't get sick pay. Bills have to be paid.
Now, if you are the fit for work group, you have to spend 35 hours a week actively looking and searching for work, and lazy, scumbag's and corrupt MP's are falling asleep in The House of Commons earning in the region of £ 75,000 :mad::mad: while I may get ............... not a lot !:rolleyes:

Reactions: Clivethedrive
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast
They are clearly idiots as well as insulting. You have an agreement saying you will look for jobs in 0 hours of time for 0 hours of employment. Pretty easy to keep to that. Won't earn you anything though.

Hoping you get over the horror soon.

Yes, confusing one minute and as Captain Mainwaring of Dad's Army says to Corporal Jones.......... "You're going into the realms of fantasy now" It was bullying basically.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s dehumanising, degrading and an absolute disgrace the way they treat people. My meagre tax credit will shortly be transferred to UC and I’m dreading it. I did a training course with CAB a couple of weeks ago on ESA and UC, as our Plaid Cymru branch (of which I’m a member) are going to be holding surgeries to help people with their applications and inevitable appeals. If I can help at all, please PM me and I’ll share the info I have. I’ve posted about it here rather than message you direct in case anyone else stumbles across this thread and needs help.

That's a good word Mel, dehumanising and I felt as though I was up against a Judge or being questioned by the Police. Good luck changing from WTC to Universal Credit, I hope it wont be too bad an experience.
Thank you for your help, filling in the form was okay, a couple of blips though, but the work coach and the meeting today was especially horrendous and that will stay with me for a while I think. I told the JC adviser that I get help and support from family and friends, these are people who care for my well being. People offer to go shopping and the guy today said he does his shopping online and why don't I do it, meaning, you could do that by yourself, so you wont have to rely on other's to help and support you after such a life threatening experience ( being sarcastic here). ............... but he really couldn't give a jot. I kept my thoughts to myself.
Great to know you are going to help and advise other's with Universal credit (with it's degrading cruelty) I feel for them.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast after the first interview was not happy 2nd interview I turned up with a t-shirt on saying 'Dole Scum', didn't go down well :hilarious:

That wasn't a league of gentlemen shirt perchance..? I have a "local shop for local people." variant. "merch," when i saw them live in Bristol on tour.. I worked my way back for the Coop group for a while. Not good. :banghead:
My mate Dave has a "Hello Dave shirt too! :cool:

I could go on about the others in the tee shirt range. (specifically the Barbera Tee.) But i would need to mod myself.. ;)

@Robinredbreast , i feel for you.. Stay strong.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Afternoon all, sorry to read of your hypo, @kev-w - never a great start to the day :(

I went to bed at 6.1 and it looks like my idiot body decided to wait until I’d gone to sleep and went up into the 8s where it sat all night. Just trying to bring it down but the NovoSluggish doesn’t appear to be doing a great deal... :banghead:

Resisting the urge to rage bolus and end up hypo...:wacky:

@Robinredbreast - hope it goes well at the job centre xxx
'Rage' bolus is a great way of putting it. There are probably golfing terms for a quieter form of it or ? cooking terms, a dash of bolus, a dollop.. as opposed to a several handfuls, a ton of .. etc. Sounds like a naming challenge !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
6.8 after peaking at around 10mmols, some work done but slowly as my balance wasn't quite right :) dilemma now is exercise as I'd promised myself a swim before the gym, and now I'm thinking gym and then see, which may end with up swimming sacked off and me sulking, if I've a handle on how the Tresiba works eating a banana pre swim will suffice but am a bit hesitant pushing.

Coffee and make my mind up time.

On a happier note I scored a £5 piece of smoked haddock for £2.25 at the shop :) and bought some fresh 'Rana' pasta @ 70g carbs the pack to go with it, with broccoli, spinach, shallots and half a carrot :p
@kev-w, We like routine as it usually makes out lives more predictable. And if the banana helps, do not let the Governments and Powers of the world doubt YOUR choice !!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you for your research @Knikki and @porl69
And to @urbanracer for sharing your experience.

One less thing to worry about for tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I have just realised the presentation is further from being complete than I thought.
Back to PowerPoint - urghhhh and grrrrrr.
Hi @helensaramay, Not sure if this will help but: a technique borrowed from interviews called the MBE. (M= main point) 'I think this is the best way forward Because Example, example, example.
There is an interesting social experiment called something like the Photocopier Experiment which demonstrated the power of the word 'because'. Of course one has to be careful not to wear 'because' out !! Good luck !!

Reactions: Kim Possible

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
On holiday so the t1d can do one! Although G&T seems a good regime with a flat line over night the night before last however last nights graph was not pretty, beer, eating late out and no idea of carbs, well obviously more than I thought, Mount Everest has just lost its crown as highest mountain :hilarious:
'Climb every mountain, until you find your dreams (of steady BSLs) !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I find that sometimes, for me it, seems that between 6 and roughly 11 Nova seems to work :cat: however higher than that and it seems to have no or little effect :dead:. So if its like 12 and upwards, it just does naff all. Finally reach a point where I want the BSL down so dump a load in :eek: and hey presto works but back to munching jelly babies, chocolate, jaffa cakes in fact anything I can find or has not escaped the traps. :bag:
Ah the dreaded see-saw. Commiserations !

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Another day, another two meetings out of the way and time to think about my trip to Dublin tomorrow.
- Agenda agreed with the customer for them to completely change once I arrive
- Hotel booked
- Checked in for flight
- Pile of diabetes stuff on the couch to pack
- Umbrella on the couch to pack (rain is forecast in the Emerald Isle)
- Presentation nearly complete (I'll tweak it on the flight)
- Clothes ironed
- Tooth brush charging
- Toiletries (and clear plastic bag) extracted from cupboard
- Alarm set for 5:15am
- Petrol in the car to get to airport
- Airport parking booked

I've done this quite a few times so most of it is just business as usual.
However, I activated a Libre yesterday and realised I've never been through the airport with one. I have done pumps many times and have the "the manufacturer says it can't go through there and I don't want to risk my life to check if they are right" spiel (said with a smile) off pat.
I don't think there should be any problem with the Libre but can someone remind me?
Chance favours the prepared !! Best Wishes !!

Reactions: Kim Possible

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I’ve found Libre an absolute game changer, but yes, you can become a little too absorbed in the data. I think that depends on your personality type. I used to be a scientist in a previous life, and I adore data, analysing it and generally playing with it. I also love gadgets and the new wave of tech has been brilliant for my management - apps, widgets, watches and phones really float my boat. When it was fingersticks and pen and paper I mostly ignored it all and hoped it would go away. Now I’m constantly aware of my BG level, and am better able to deal with problems before they get too out of hand. That’s not to say I don’t swear at 3am when my high glucose alarm goes off, of course. I’ve got a MiaoMiao transmitter on my Libre, so it’s turned it into a system with alarms - but the standard setup that you manually scan is a whole level above blood tests. If you get chance to trial it, it’s well worth it - not just for the values it gives but for the trend arrows, being able to see what’s actually happenning is a real eye opener.

It’s important to bear in mind that there’s no such thing as a “good” or a “bad” number - it’s just information that you may or may not need to act upon, not a judgement on you.
A pity the Miao Miao cannot be pre-programmed to play a gig or something, instead of the alarm sound !!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I had my commitment meeting today @3.20pm and I have never felt so awful in my life. When I left with my friends I was in tears and actually crying with disbelief when I left, at what I had to go through. I felt violated, not illl at all, the system is degrading and disgusting to genuine claimants, I can't believe it.
This is my 'commitment which I must agree to online.

This is to check you're doing everything you can to find a job, or earn more.

We'll call you on
Tuesday 14 August 2018 at 10:40am

Your interview is with: Ray

It may affect your Universal Credit if you don't complete this phone appointment.

My commitments
I'll do everything that I can to find work or earn more.

Work I can do
I'll look for and take any work that I'm able to do, including:

• Admin
    • Food sampling
    • Carer, but not personal care
I'll also apply for any jobs recommended by my work coach.

I'll look for work of 0 hours a week for the minimum wage or more.

My availability
I'm available for job interviews immediately and will participate fully. I'm available to start work immediately.

Travel to work
I can travel up to 30 minutes to work.

What I'll do
I'll normally spend 0 hours a week looking and preparing for work.

I've agreed with my work coach that I'll:

• I will use the internet daily for job searches.
    • I will look at the Festival Place web site daily for suitable jobs.
Extra activities
I haven't discussed any extra activities.

Meetings with my work coach
I'll attend and take part fully in all meetings with my work coach. I'll tell my work coach immediately if I can't do this.

Using my online account
I'll sign in to my online account often to:

• complete all activities in my to-do list
    • report changes to my circumstances promptly, including changes to work
If I can't get online, I'll report any changes by calling 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344).

After accepting my commitments, I'll read about reduced payments (sanctions) in my to-do list.

Back

I have just 2 weeks as a person who can't work. Then someone has to collect a fit/sick note from my surgery for me, I then have to write it out online, word for word as it is worded by my GP and then someone will have to take it to the Job Centre, so they can verify that it is exactly the same as I have written online.

I said to my friend, being in ICU with Pneumonia and Sepsis, means absolutely nothing, it is so degrading. I know it's not the individual assessor and they follow rules and protocol, but I feel like I'm a liar and I am in shock by it all :(
I wish this was a more upbeat post.
I fail to see why a certified copy of your sick certificate could not be scanned/faxed through to them. I suspect that this hard-line policy is to do with people who had tried to cheat the system. It makes it extra hard on the genuine ones like yourself. Is your local member of parliament one to see about this abuse of you?