Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
At the 'tender age' of 64 I am being gently (or not so gently) reminded that late nights/early mornings are not conducive to ideal BSL control. I guess it is the upset to my system of late awakenings, combined with exciting viewings of TV series etc, even though I put up the pump's basal readings some 30% for 4 hours or so during the viewing.
The adage: All things in moderation springs to mind. Or Nothing to extremes.
Stability is the purview of the cautious, wise and boring aspects of life.
It is needed but so are adventure, interest, passion and risk.

Bon voyage !!

Reactions: Alison54321

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all and happy Yorkshire day :p

6.2 waking from 7.6 to bed, and a big sigh of relief breathed out :) highlight of the day so far was reading a post on another thread with predictive text writing about 'porcupine insulin' and me Googling it as I'd not heard of hedgehogs being used before :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone just ‘lazing in bed’ after spending a few days in hospital being treated for a tooth abscess that decided to go a bit wild - looked like I had half a tennis ball in my cheek! I found it quite ironic that, despite having T2D on my board, I was always asked if I wanted sugar in my tea or coffee!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good morning y'all and happy Yorkshire day :p

6.2 waking from 7.6 to bed, and a big sigh of relief breathed out :) highlight of the day so far was reading a post on another thread with predictive text writing about 'porcupine insulin' and me Googling it as I'd not heard of hedgehogs being used before :)
Ha! insulin injections can equate to plenty of prickles. maybe that is the connection ??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning everyone just ‘lazing in bed’ after spending a few days in hospital being treated for a tooth abscess that decided to go a bit wild - looked like I had half a tennis ball in my cheek! I found it quite ironic that, despite having T2D on my board, I was always asked if I wanted sugar in my tea or coffee!

Get well soon Daphne and wishing you a speedy recovery X

K

Knikki

That wasn't a league of gentlemen shirt perchance..?

Yes it was :)

So pizza and gym last night, note not at the same time, split dose for pizza all night in the greens :angelic:

Gets up at a 7.4 works all the carb cobblers out, sticks all the info in the various apps sits down stuffs face, all well with the world. :happy:

Gets to work quick check feeling off 17.7 :***::arghh::eek:

Guess I forgot to inject my bolus, balus, nova or whatever :(

Right half litre of Nova and a coffee ~sigh~

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hh1 and kev-w

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my commitment meeting today @3.20pm and I have never felt so awful in my life. When I left with my friends I was in tears and actually crying with disbelief when I left, at what I had to go through. I felt violated, not illl at all, the system is degrading and disgusting to genuine claimants, I can't believe it.
This is my 'commitment which I must agree to online.

This is to check you're doing everything you can to find a job, or earn more.

We'll call you on
Tuesday 14 August 2018 at 10:40am

Your interview is with: Ray

It may affect your Universal Credit if you don't complete this phone appointment.

My commitments
I'll do everything that I can to find work or earn more.

Work I can do
I'll look for and take any work that I'm able to do, including:

• Admin
    • Food sampling
    • Carer, but not personal care
I'll also apply for any jobs recommended by my work coach.

I'll look for work of 0 hours a week for the minimum wage or more.

My availability
I'm available for job interviews immediately and will participate fully. I'm available to start work immediately.

Travel to work
I can travel up to 30 minutes to work.

What I'll do
I'll normally spend 0 hours a week looking and preparing for work.

I've agreed with my work coach that I'll:

• I will use the internet daily for job searches.
    • I will look at the Festival Place web site daily for suitable jobs.
Extra activities
I haven't discussed any extra activities.

Meetings with my work coach
I'll attend and take part fully in all meetings with my work coach. I'll tell my work coach immediately if I can't do this.

Using my online account
I'll sign in to my online account often to:

• complete all activities in my to-do list
    • report changes to my circumstances promptly, including changes to work
If I can't get online, I'll report any changes by calling 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344).

After accepting my commitments, I'll read about reduced payments (sanctions) in my to-do list.

Back

I have just 2 weeks as a person who can't work. Then someone has to collect a fit/sick note from my surgery for me, I then have to write it out online, word for word as it is worded by my GP and then someone will have to take it to the Job Centre, so they can verify that it is exactly the same as I have written online.

I said to my friend, being in ICU with Pneumonia and Sepsis, means absolutely nothing, it is so degrading. I know it's not the individual assessor and they follow rules and protocol, but I feel like I'm a liar and I am in shock by it all :(
I wish this was a more upbeat post.
@Robinredbreast what a horrendous experience - not what you need when you have been as ill as you have and are still recovering. As a civil servant myself I know that there is a great ability by our lords and masters to devise a ‘one size fits all’ process when, in reality, we all know it doesn't and some of the rules and regs are, quite frankly, idiotic. We have a phrase for it where I work ‘bureaucracy at its best’.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning friends :) Well, it's sick note/fit note day today. Also I will be contacting, or trying to contact my MP about my Job Centre/UC experience and also found a template regarding the horror of claiming Universal Credit and the Job Centre online, so I may have a busy day online, my heckles are up now and my fight is back :):):):):)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning friends :) Well, it's sick note/fit note day today. Also I will be contacting, or trying to contact my MP about my Job Centre/UC experience and also found a template regarding the horror of claiming Universal Credit and the Job Centre online, so I may have a busy day online, my heckles are up now and my fight is back :):):):):)
Go for it!!

Reactions: Leeannea
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast what a horrendous experience - not what you need when you have been as ill as you have and are still recovering. As a civil servant myself I know that there is a great ability by our lords and masters to devise a ‘one size fits all’ process when, in reality, we all know it doesn't and some of the rules and regs are, quite frankly, idiotic. We have a phrase for it where I work ‘bureaucracy at its best’.

After yesterday's experience and feeling like a scrounger/liar. a 3rd rate citizen, my fight it back:)

K

Knikki

Now at 20.2 and going up on Etch A Sketch and another 5 units gone in :***: now at 22 units.

It might be overkill but I hate being high like this (yes own stupid fault) and would much rather it now crashes.

There you go, any new people looking, even us old timers get things wrong or forget sometimes.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
After yesterday's experience and feeling like a scrounger/liar. a 3rd rate citizen, my fight it back:)

If your MP doesn’t help then it’s time to get the BBC and Channel 4 involved

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Now at 20.2 and going up on Etch A Sketch and another 5 units gone in :***: now at 22 units.

It might be overkill but I hate being high like this (yes own stupid fault) and would much rather it now crashes.

There you go, any new people looking, even us old timers get things wrong or forget sometimes.

Sympathy like!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sounds good.

Is your MP a Conservative? that would be good, they really do need the negative feedback on Universal Credit, especially from people like you who have worked most of their lives.

If they are Labour it's useful to do too, but a Conservative one would be even more fun.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

There is merit in our faultiness!! Who wants to be perfect all the time, where is the challenge in that!! And whoever piloted a less than optimal pancreas without some crashes, air pockets and water skiing along the way ??

Reactions: Leeannea
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds good.

Is your MP a Conservative? that would be good, they really do need the negative feedback on Universal Credit, especially from people like you who have worked most of their lives.

If they are Labour it's useful to do too, but a Conservative one would be even more fun.

Yes she is a Tory and is well known too, her initials are M M.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all! Just checking in while I burn Ferocious dog CDs for the car... @Jaylee - have you come across them?

@kitedoc - you do get an extensive array of alarm sounds, but sadly no option to choose an Alarm gig, which is a shame. Missed opportunity there... I usually have Siri shouting URGENT! HIGH GLUCOSE!!! at me, which is fun. At 3am. I only run the alarms at night, I can keep an eye on my watch when I’m awake.

@Robinredbreast - good luck with the day’s battles. Trying to work out who MM is now! Mary McCloud?

Went to bed with a 4.9 and a glucose tablet. Stayed in the 5s almost all night, which makes me very happy. Took a unit at half three, and another two at eightish, currently at a 6.7 and slowly falling. Not got a great deal on today, work is very slow (anyone want any silver handwriting jewellery making? ;) ), so I’m going to do some more sewing repair work on my ancestral patchwork quilt that’s falling apart. Always fun to see what effect a complicated job has on my levels...

Omnipod day tomorrow. Slightly bricking it, it’s the biggest change to my healthcare regime in 20 years. I’ve installed Nightscout on the husband’s phone, with an alarm set at 3mmol, so he can keep half an eye on me as I’m alone/driving/working with blowtorches a lot. Just while I get used to it.