Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes thank you. Mrs Urb has started talking about wills - ooerr.:arghh::dead:
Whether or not she's serious, my experience when my husband died was that having a will made a dreadful experience so much easier. I have friends who are in the financial advice business, and they're insistent that every adult should have a will, married or not, young or old. Hopefully there'll be no need for them for years for any of us, but it makes such a difference.

On a cheerier note, it's been a beautiful day here!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Crikey, blood glucose above 20 this evening before dinner, wasn't expecting that.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey, blood glucose above 20 this evening before dinner, wasn't expecting that.
Well I know what that feels like! You're not having a great time at the moment,not fun, could it've been due to what happened in the morning? Hope you're okay today.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Don’t give up. An infection, a vaccine inspiring another immune surge, some antibiotics, anxiety from it all, maybe they’re ganging up. Hope today goes better!!! How’s your thumb? Is it improving?

Reactions: Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone. Misty one here. Like yesterday’s morning. I carried my phone around with me all yesterday afternoon waiting for a phone consultation with a doc about my hip - feel as though I’m getting to be a proper crumbling old ruin. He didn’t call, bah! It’s slightly unnerving as I dreamt yesterday night that the surgery rang to tell me they had ‘an outbreak’. Note to self, must read something very very cheerful before falling asleep. Hope the doc’s ok, not too overwhelmed, and the missed phone call was just an admin error.
Last day of the sensor today, another note to self to check accuracy.
I’ve hit a brain vacuum thinking about some different veg to grow this year to liven up meals. Any suggestions?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@urbanracer I hope you are feeling better. Scary passing out.

@Fairygodmother Can you grow bell peppers where you are at? Bell peppers are fun to add to salads and stir fries. And the different colors liven the look of any dish. I finally grew a couple of plants this year and they stay perennial here, but are annuals when you have cold weather. One died, but bugs got into one ginger root badly and I think got one of the bell pepper plants.

Because of growing them, I looked up information on them to learn for the first time that red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers usually come from the same plant and what color they are is how mature they are. Although there are a few varieties that stay certain colors. Red is supposed to have the most nutrients and is the most mature. I watched my bell peppers change from green to yellow, then orange to red. Fascinating!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@urbanracer I hope you are feeling better. Scary passing out.

@Fairygodmother Can you grow bell peppers where you are at? Bell peppers are fun to add to salads and stir fries. And the different colors liven the look of any dish. I finally grew a couple of plants this year and they stay perennial here, but are annuals when you have cold weather. One died, but bugs got into one ginger root badly and I think got one of the bell pepper plants.

Because of growing them, I looked up information on them to learn for the first time that red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers usually come from the same plant and what color they are is how mature they are. Although there are a few varieties that stay certain colors. Red is supposed to have the most nutrients and is the most mature. I watched my bell peppers change from green to yellow, then orange to red. Fascinating!
Yes, I’ve grown bell peppers here, I had them in pots on the kitchen windowsill when we first moved in 41 years ago and they gave us winter fruit as well as being glorious to look at. I love the pointy shaped peppers and am trying to grow those from harvested seeds. I thought melons would be good in the greenhouse but the seeds from a bought one seem to be empty shells, sad. I’ve got chilli pepper plants on the front windowsill to transfer to the greenhouse.
We’ve clay soil so brassicas do well, if I can keep the pigeons away. Tomatoes too. I just want to find something different since back garden life may continue more if the incoming variants evade vaccines.
There are three Hokkaido squash plants that have just sprouted on the spare room windowsill (there’s a windowsill theme here) and they’re totally delicious with a nutty flavour. I’ve only ever succeeded with them once before so aim to have bigger, more abundant plants this year. Hope springs eternal . . . Will it happen?

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I’ve grown bell peppers here, I had them in pots on the kitchen windowsill when we first moved in 41 years ago and they gave us winter fruit as well as being glorious to look at. I love the pointy shaped peppers and am trying to grow those from harvested seeds. I thought melons would be good in the greenhouse but the seeds from a bought one seem to be empty shells, sad. I’ve got chilli pepper plants on the front windowsill to transfer to the greenhouse.
We’ve clay soil so brassicas do well, if I can keep the pigeons away. Tomatoes too. I just want to find something different since back garden life may continue more if the incoming variants evade vaccines.
There are three Hokkaido squash plants that have just sprouted on the spare room windowsill (there’s a windowsill theme here) and they’re totally delicious with a nutty flavour. I’ve only ever succeeded with them once before so aim to have bigger, more abundant plants this year. Hope springs eternal . . . Will it happen?
I admore your industry @Fairygodmother. I'm busy simplifying my garden, it's too much work as it is, but simplifying takes up an inordinate amount of time. I'm not good at growing edible things, I don't have the discipline to do what you're supposed to at the right time, apart from herbs and salads in pots (because most of the snails in Somerset live here), and a few fruit trees. But I have neighbours who grow great veg - and who share :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother

A few more uncommon vegetable ideas.

Purple sweet potatoes...............Not the purple skinned potatoes, these have regular skin but are purple on the inside. It's a cross between a sweet potato and regular potato taste and are delicious.

Waimanola long eggplant. They like to grow the long skinny eggplant here and I really like it. You just slice and can stir fry.

Maui Onions. I love green onions and maui onions the most. Maui onions have a very limited season and I actually am having a harder time getting them here than I did in Calif. But I love the flavor especially when I make guacamole.

Bok Choy is all over the place here, very popular and I used to hardly ever use it. But since seeing it's abundance here I have been buying it more and add it to salads and stir fries and soups.

One thing I have not liked here is cilantro. I loved cilantro in Calif, but it has a different flavor here, it's either a different species or because of the soil it's grown in develops a different flavor to it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother

Purple sweet potatoes...............Not the purple skinned potatoes, these have regular skin but are purple on the inside. It's a cross between a sweet potato and regular potato taste and are delicious.

Waimanola long eggplant. They like to grow the long skinny eggplant here and I really like it. You just slice and can stir fry.

Maui Onions. I love green onions and maui onions the most. Maui onions have a very limited season and I actually am having a harder time getting them here than I did in Calif. But I love the flavor especially when I make guacamole.

Bok Choy is all over the place here, very popular and I used to hardly ever use it. But since seeing it's abundance here I have been buying it more and add it to salads and stir fries and soups.

One thing I have not liked here is cilantro. I loved cilantro in Calif, but it has a different flavor here, it's either a different species or because of the soil it's grown in develops a different flavor to it.
The long eggplant sounds great, I must try and source some seeds. I usually cheat with cilantro, parsley, and buy a pot of it in the supermarket. The pots usually contain lots of little plants which have been crammed in and I transplant them, same with coriander. It saves all the business of pouring warm water on the soil first then just hoping that the seeds germinate. It’s been really cold here for most of this spring and everything’s behindhand in our garden this year.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother

The long eggplant sounds great, I must try and source some seeds. I usually cheat with cilantro, parsley, and buy a pot of it in the supermarket. The pots usually contain lots of little plants which have been crammed in and I transplant them, same with coriander. It saves all the business of pouring warm water on the soil first then just hoping that the seeds germinate. It’s been really cold here for most of this spring and everything’s behindhand in our garden this year.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother

I admore your industry @Fairygodmother. I'm busy simplifying my garden, it's too much work as it is, but simplifying takes up an inordinate amount of time. I'm not good at growing edible things, I don't have the discipline to do what you're supposed to at the right time, apart from herbs and salads in pots (because most of the snails in Somerset live here), and a few fruit trees. But I have neighbours who grow great veg - and who share :)
Neighbours who share are wonderful! Our lovely GP next door neighbour and I share plants when we have an excess and the produce too. Back in the times when we could go away for holidays we water each other’s gardens, feed animals and pick what will spoil if left. Her beans and tomatoes are always more productive than ours, maybe it’s the fertiliser from their pet rabbits. Yes, we have a good crop of snails and slugs here and I always buy the cheapest larger Lidl has to offer to put in the old yoghurt pot traps. They’re not sharing the mythos I still have from the Greek Week! I’ll share it with the lovely next door neighbours though.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I loved this! From trying to "guess" at how much insulin to take on an unknown food, the timing of dosing and then using exercise to try to stop the spike. Then lemonade to stop the over correction. And the additional humor of testing the non diabetic who doesn't have to do anything and stays normal..................(and being annoyed about that!)

https://tcoyd.org/2021/04/how-to-eat-three-donuts-and-stay-in-range/

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s a great one to show what hard work it is just staying in range @Marie2. I’m surprised they didn’t feel nauseous after three doughnuts, T1 or no T1.

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After my off day on Monday the rest of the week has been in normal range so i don’t know what was happening on Monday, just one of those unexpected things i suppose, i’ve probably jinxed myself now and i’ll have another off day tomorrow.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone!

It’s been a while, how is everyone?

- I’ve had both vaccines
- I got fed up with CGM issues to that point I stopped wearing it. I did call Medtronic about it and they confirmed it wasn’t a transmitter issue.

Anyone know anything about transmitter replacements after a year? I couldn’t make out what the CS person was saying (he had an American accent and he spoke too quickly)

- I finished therapy today, it was bitter sweet but I’m ready to finish some unfinished business

- you guys ever tried just the red and black red pastilles? Heaven in a bag :)