Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So,

Retiring to bed last night my wife said.. "So I woke up this morning." Now when anyone starts a conversation like that, I normally start duh duh Duda duh. (That "Bad to the bone" blues riff.)

So my wife woke this morning.
& Alexa was black. I thought this is going great with the lyrics.
So then she ruined the tune by adding, "so i said, Alexa, show me the time.?"

Normally it has a home screen with the date & time in white font?
She then added, "the answer was weird.."

So we tested Alexa out & asked "Alexa, show me the time..?"

It started spouting some generic long winded Stephen Hawking stuff.. We only wanted the screen backlit.. o_O

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ all. More sun, more birdsong. Thank goodness for the garden, it doesn’t stay still, always something different there. I spent part of yesterday beginning to dig into the base of a raised bed that husband’s constructed the frame for. It’s on a little used patch of grass. He said he’d stripped off the top layer of grass. Er no. Lots of roots, including couch grass. Plant life just isn’t in his focus range. By the end of the day my old joints ached but soaking the hard clay should make it easier today. Then there’s the very old compost pile to uncover so the new bed can be filled. I still haven’t bought those shares in paracetamol, but . . .
Younger daughter whatsapped us a few more photos of grandsons: older grandson and his friend now look about 35, and last time I saw them they were skinny little 9 year olds. They’re both 11 now and ready to be big boys at the big school in September. This wretched virus has a lot to answer for.
Hope you all have cheerful times today with good bloods and a few good things to smile about in these testing times. So happy there are ways to have direct visual contact with those not seen in person for far far too long.

Last edited:

JamesR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning! Water and coffee for me prior to my morning workout. No IOB has been a game changer for me. Also, starting with resistance training (spikes my blood), followed by cardio (drops my blood). Keeps everything steady.

Have a great day!

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some days i just don’t understand what’s going on, my body must think i’ve been injecting glucose today instead of insulin as my blood sugars have been floating around 18.
Hopefully get back on track tomorrow.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
We handle needles everyday so stabbing yourself with the freshly used needle occasionally is like an occupational hazard - isn't it?

I guess I've done it several times over the past few years without consequence, but it happened Wednesday lunchtime and now my thumb is red and swollen from the knuckle joint upwards. What fun we have.

And we're off on another round of anti-biotics to see if the thumb will calm down.
I know there are people living with much worse but it's so hard to do stuff when you lose part of the function of your naturally preferred hand.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lots of sympathy from me for your thumb @urbanracer, infections are painful and also when something like that happens we realise just how much most humans depend on two fully working thumbs. Not having a useable thumb means every attempt to pick things up and manipulate them, the key’s in the word, is like trying to turn a door handle with a garden cane.
Yes, welcome @JamesR, and hope today’s bloods are in a happier state @RVW.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @urbanracer I cut my index finger last week, not badly, like a really deep paper cut. Luckily for me it's not infected, but it's taking ages to heal because unless I put a plaster on it, it keeps pulling apart and I'm back to almost square one. that's on my dominant hand, not quite as limiting as a thumb though, so yeah, lots of sympathy from here too.

I really messed up yesterday evening. After dinner, things looked pretty high but I chose not to adjust as I prefer to do that at bedtime and I didn't want to risk stacking insulin with two adjustments. I'd also had a higher carb than usual dinner, so thought I must have miscalculated. By bedtime - 23.1!!! The penny suddenly dropped; who forgot to take insulin before dinner? :banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm used to making small adjustments at night, but this was so far off I was really afraid of overdoing it and hypoing overnight. A large but conservative adjustment saw me wake up this morning on 10.7. So I got safely through the night and have adjusted again this morning. This is one of those days when I need @karen8967 's "I can't diabetes today" poster - I've had enough for a while!

Reactions: urbanracer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think most of us have done that @hh1, and the highs feel horrid too. Yup, we know the can’t do diabetes days too. I hate being high, and the relief when bloods come down again and I feel better again. It must be wonderful to be ‘normal’, non T1. Hope today’s better. Let’s have a communal day of thanks for the wonders of insulin we can self administer and the great teams of scientists that made it possible even if the daily grind of it gets us down.

Reactions: RVW

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, @urbanracer I cut my index finger last week, not badly, like a really deep paper cut. Luckily for me it's not infected, but it's taking ages to heal because unless I put a plaster on it, it keeps pulling apart and I'm back to almost square one. that's on my dominant hand, not quite as limiting as a thumb though, so yeah, lots of sympathy from here too.

I really messed up yesterday evening. After dinner, things looked pretty high but I chose not to adjust as I prefer to do that at bedtime and I didn't want to risk stacking insulin with two adjustments. I'd also had a higher carb than usual dinner, so thought I must have miscalculated. By bedtime - 23.1!!! The penny suddenly dropped; who forgot to take insulin before dinner? :banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm used to making small adjustments at night, but this was so far off I was really afraid of overdoing it and hypoing overnight. A large but conservative adjustment saw me wake up this morning on 10.7. So I got safely through the night and have adjusted again this morning. This is one of those days when I need @karen8967 's "I can't diabetes today" poster - I've had enough for a while!
Just for you hh1hope your day gets better x
FB_IMG_1617605865308.jpg

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 Yep! I have definitely done the, why are my sugars so high? Oh yea, I ate something and forgot to dose. I bet we all have numerous times, considering we have to do it just about every time we eat something, every friggin day lol...............What are the odds...........

Finally going through some clothes I brought with me that had been packed 3 years ago. I've managed to weed out a lot of them and took 3 bags worth to an animal adoption thrift store. But the ones I am having the hardest time with are ones I had found at an online company years ago that had plain cotton blouses in solid colors that fit well and they kept coming out with various colors. I loved being able to pick what to wear to work from all the different color choices!

But I am wearing casual cotton type dresses over here, they are cooler, easy to throw on and I rarely wear pants here. I need one of those I can get rid of almost anything today days. Because I do not need all of them!!!!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke up at 6am and got up to go for a wee, next thing I know is coming round on the bathroom floor after collapsing. Feared I was hypo, but turned out to be 9.7. Missus checked my blood pressure which was very low. So maybe it has something to do with the infection in my thumb? I don't usually react to anti-biotics so I doubt it was the meds.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up at 6am and got up to go for a wee, next thing I know is coming round on the bathroom floor after collapsing. Feared I was hypo, but turned out to be 9.7. Missus checked my blood pressure which was very low. So maybe it has something to do with the infection in my thumb? I don't usually react to anti-biotics so I doubt it was the meds.
Yikes, that's scary! I hope you feel better now, and I hope you'll either find the cause or that this was a one-off mystery thing.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That’s awful and very disconcerting, to put it mildly. Have you had low blood pressure before? I had a similar thing after the first dose of AZ - advised to keep intake of water up.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That’s awful and very disconcerting, to put it mildly. Have you had low blood pressure before? I had a similar thing after the first dose of AZ - advised to keep intake of water up.

My blood pressure is generally a bit low, and can drop further when I am ill. Didn't expect it from sore thumb though.

A GP once told me 'if we lived in France you'd be on medication to raise your blood pressure but we don't do that in this country'. That was a long time ago now though.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Frightening! For both of you. Do you feel okay now?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Frightening! For both of you. Do you feel okay now?
Yes thank you. Mrs Urb has started talking about wills - ooerr.:arghh::dead:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you are ok and you get to the root cause of it x