1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. JamesR

JamesR Type 1 · Member

Good morning! Water and coffee for me prior to my morning workout. No IOB has been a game changer for me. Also, starting with resistance training (spikes my blood), followed by cardio (drops my blood). Keeps everything steady.

Have a great day!

• Like Like x 5
  2. RVW

RVW Type 1 · Member

Some days i just don’t understand what’s going on, my body must think i’ve been injecting glucose today instead of insulin as my blood sugars have been floating around 18.
    Hopefully get back on track tomorrow.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

And we're off on another round of anti-biotics to see if the thumb will calm down.
    I know there are people living with much worse but it's so hard to do stuff when you lose part of the function of your naturally preferred hand.

• Hug Hug x 6
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I hope you get better soon @urbanracer !

@ RVW I hate the days when you know something must be going on and you don't know what.

Welcome @JamesR Exercise can be a real trick!

• Like Like x 5
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lots of sympathy from me for your thumb @urbanracer, infections are painful and also when something like that happens we realise just how much most humans depend on two fully working thumbs. Not having a useable thumb means every attempt to pick things up and manipulate them, the key’s in the word, is like trying to turn a door handle with a garden cane.
    Yes, welcome @JamesR, and hope today’s bloods are in a happier state @RVW.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, @urbanracer I cut my index finger last week, not badly, like a really deep paper cut. Luckily for me it's not infected, but it's taking ages to heal because unless I put a plaster on it, it keeps pulling apart and I'm back to almost square one. that's on my dominant hand, not quite as limiting as a thumb though, so yeah, lots of sympathy from here too.

I really messed up yesterday evening. After dinner, things looked pretty high but I chose not to adjust as I prefer to do that at bedtime and I didn't want to risk stacking insulin with two adjustments. I'd also had a higher carb than usual dinner, so thought I must have miscalculated. By bedtime - 23.1!!! The penny suddenly dropped; who forgot to take insulin before dinner? :banghead::banghead::banghead: I'm used to making small adjustments at night, but this was so far off I was really afraid of overdoing it and hypoing overnight. A large but conservative adjustment saw me wake up this morning on 10.7. So I got safely through the night and have adjusted again this morning. This is one of those days when I need @karen8967 's "I can't diabetes today" poster - I've had enough for a while!

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fairygodmother

I think most of us have done that @hh1, and the highs feel horrid too. Yup, we know the can’t do diabetes days too. I hate being high, and the relief when bloods come down again and I feel better again. It must be wonderful to be ‘normal’, non T1. Hope today’s better. Let’s have a communal day of thanks for the wonders of insulin we can self administer and the great teams of scientists that made it possible even if the daily grind of it gets us down.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. karen8967

Just for you hh1hope your day gets better x FB_IMG_1617605865308.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@hh1 Yep! I have definitely done the, why are my sugars so high? Oh yea, I ate something and forgot to dose. I bet we all have numerous times, considering we have to do it just about every time we eat something, every friggin day lol...............What are the odds...........

Finally going through some clothes I brought with me that had been packed 3 years ago. I've managed to weed out a lot of them and took 3 bags worth to an animal adoption thrift store. But the ones I am having the hardest time with are ones I had found at an online company years ago that had plain cotton blouses in solid colors that fit well and they kept coming out with various colors. I loved being able to pick what to wear to work from all the different color choices!

But I am wearing casual cotton type dresses over here, they are cooler, easy to throw on and I rarely wear pants here. I need one of those I can get rid of almost anything today days. Because I do not need all of them!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. hh1

Thanks all, @karen8967 I've printed that off and I'm going to put it somewhere, just to remind me that other people feel that way too and I'm not alone. Feeling much better now thanks :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. urbanracer

Retired Moderator

Woke up at 6am and got up to go for a wee, next thing I know is coming round on the bathroom floor after collapsing. Feared I was hypo, but turned out to be 9.7. Missus checked my blood pressure which was very low. So maybe it has something to do with the infection in my thumb? I don't usually react to anti-biotics so I doubt it was the meds.

• Hug Hug x 8
  13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yikes, that's scary! I hope you feel better now, and I hope you'll either find the cause or that this was a one-off mystery thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #30153 Antje77, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  14. Fairygodmother

That’s awful and very disconcerting, to put it mildly. Have you had low blood pressure before? I had a similar thing after the first dose of AZ - advised to keep intake of water up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. urbanracer

Retired Moderator

My blood pressure is generally a bit low, and can drop further when I am ill. Didn't expect it from sore thumb though.

A GP once told me 'if we lived in France you'd be on medication to raise your blood pressure but we don't do that in this country'. That was a long time ago now though.

• Hug Hug x 2
  16. hh1

Frightening! For both of you. Do you feel okay now?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. urbanracer

Retired Moderator

Yes thank you. Mrs Urb has started talking about wills - ooerr.:arghh::dead:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. karen8967

Hope you are ok and you get to the root cause of it x

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. hh1

Whether or not she's serious, my experience when my husband died was that having a will made a dreadful experience so much easier. I have friends who are in the financial advice business, and they're insistent that every adult should have a will, married or not, young or old. Hopefully there'll be no need for them for years for any of us, but it makes such a difference.

On a cheerier note, it's been a beautiful day here!

• Like Like x 4
  20. urbanracer

Retired Moderator

Crikey, blood glucose above 20 this evening before dinner, wasn't expecting that.

• Hug Hug x 5
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook