Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do need to use some kind of patch to keep a Libre sensor on and have just ordered some to try. But, I am enjoying it and it seems to be in line with my Caresens meter.

I only look at the forums from my laptop and I'm not finding it at all easy on my eyes - I'm currently using the dark background with white writing as the easiest.
@Japes I have trouble keeping the sensors on, and my wonderful nurse found Hydrofilm dressings for me, which I now get on prescription. They're completely clear film dressings, 6cm x 7cm, which cover the sensor nicely. Even then, they start to peel off before two weeks are up, so I often find myself trimming detaching edges and sticking a second one over the top. They have though made an enormous difference. I'm always fascinated by posts from people who find it agonising to gt the sensors off when they expire; mine come off as easily as a sticking plaster, no probs!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 I have to peel mine off, literally tug, even when I don't use Skin Tac!!!! Even with my swimming. Now my Dexcom is totally different, it has to have Skin Tac, and an overpatch with more Skin Tac lol.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 I have to peel mine off, literally tug, even when I don't use Skin Tac!!!! Even with my swimming. Now my Dexcom is totally different, it has to have Skin Tac, and an overpatch with more Skin Tac lol.
Ouch!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 So far the LIbre hasn't caused any major issues. By far my Omnipod is the worse. It has to be tugged off every 3 days and I use nothing extra on it and it is really stuck to me. I have had some scabs where I've pulled it off...........although in fairness I have been pulling things off for years now and I just rip them off and am not careful about it. ! That's why I was surprised when I first wore the Dexcom and it tried to fall off within the first day. I had no aids to help keep it on and am allergic to most tapes. So I wrapped an ace bandage around my arm to keep it on until some Skin Tac arrived for the second one I used.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 So far the LIbre hasn't caused any major issues. By far my Omnipod is the worse. It has to be tugged off every 3 days and I use nothing extra on it and it is really stuck to me. I have had some scabs where I've pulled it off...........although in fairness I have been pulling things off for years now and I just rip them off and am not careful about it. ! That's why I was surprised when I first wore the Dexcom and it tried to fall off within the first day. I had no aids to help keep it on and am allergic to most tapes. So I wrapped an ace bandage around my arm to keep it on until some Skin Tac arrived for the second one I used.
The Omnipod sounds awful! I'm not sure why things don't stick to me very well but, having met a couple of people with a similar problem, I think it's due to very dry skin. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but dry skin seems to shed more readily, hence things falling off. I may be on completely the wrong track there but I don't have any other explanation, so I'll just keep using the Hydrofilm. think I'd rather need that than end up with scabs from removing stuff - poor you!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got a couple of different things to try now, so shall report back. I'm rather surprised about the Libre not sticking well, as in the past I've had no trouble keeping plasters on, then having red, sore areas of skin (or on one infamous occasion losing a layer of skin!) on removing them.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Good Morning!
I hope everyone is doing good! Same o same o here.

Today my blood sugars are not behaving themselves and I have not a clue as to why........I hate that!
It better stop by tomorrow as I see the dentist and we plan on stopping by a pizza place that makes a vegan pizza with sofrito sauce. Delicious! It's a drive so we usually only go there when we see the dentist that's in town there. It's the pizza that is higher fat and is a trick to dose for. Hopefully by tomorrow I am my more normal lol.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, I hate that too @Marie2. If there's no other explanation it's obviously the wrong colour socks :D

Not much to report here other than that, after a really positive change to Fiasp, I now find, as some others have said, that by the time I'm getting to the end of a vial it's turned to water. I spoke to my wonderful consultant about it earlier this year, and he was really straightforward - "throw it out and start another one". So that's what I do now, though it's taken a while to get used to that, still find myself looking for other reasons for being high sometimes.

Have a good day all, hope you're okay out there @karen8967

Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The way the doctors work out what you need in your prescription really does baffle me, new prescription finally added for Lyumjev, 1 vial only and I can’t re-order it for a month :hilarious: can’t wait to make the phone call to tell them that that is very much not enough, given that they used to give me 4 vials of novorapid you’d think they’d just make this one the same

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nicola M what's made you change to Lyumjev? What were you using before? I'd be very interested to know how you get on with it, hope it works well for you.

Reactions: Marie 2

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M what's made you change to Lyumjev? What were you using before? I'd be very interested to know how you get on with it, hope it works well for you.

I spike terribly at lunch time (going from a nice 6.0-8.0 to 14+) we know my carb counting is correct and I eat the same thing every day, my nurse and doctor tried lowering my carb ratio (1:8) and I inject 15-20 mins before eating but still spike. I’m fine any other time of the day it’s just at lunch so my doctor and nurse agreed the next step was to try a faster acting insulin! I was previously on novorapid and have been all my life. I’ve been told it can sting but hoping that isn’t too bad

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 How long does a vial of Fiasp last for you? I have one on the go about 3 weeks and long ago realised it didn’t react the same as it emptied. I also now open a new vial. Same with Tresiba, which I have on the go 6 weeks+. It is hard ditching when there is still stuff in. Goes against all my thrift values. But I realised the not working aspect is more important.

Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spike terribly at lunch time (going from a nice 6.0-8.0 to 14+) we know my carb counting is correct and I eat the same thing every day, my nurse and doctor tried lowering my carb ratio (1:8) and I inject 15-20 mins before eating but still spike. I’m fine any other time of the day it’s just at lunch so my doctor and nurse agreed the next step was to try a faster acting insulin! I was previously on novorapid and have been all my life. I’ve been told it can sting but hoping that isn’t too bad

Thanks @Nicola M, that's really interesting as that's a problem I encounter occasionally, and I don't know why. Glad it's working for you, I may run that past my consultant, though I won't see him till January.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@becca59 oh gosh that's really hard to answer; bizarrely, it's made me realise that I've never thought of it in those terms. Working from an average daily usage, I guess it must be the same as for you, about three weeks. I've been using it for about 18 months, having changed from Humalog, and I like it better - it kicks in faster for me - but it took ages for the penny to drop that unexpected highs were due to it losing efficacy. Learnt my lesson by now, and I absolutely agree, throwing it out before it's empty feels all wrong, but so much better in terms of control.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
For some inherent reason, maybe because it's so important for us, it goes against the grain to throw insulin out. I have been having a problem with pods more. If you have one that fails the first day, there's a lot left in it. But just tossing it is a little cringe worthy, but you do get used to it.

Reactions: ashleyneildas

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 How long does a vial of Fiasp last for you? I have one on the go about 3 weeks and long ago realised it didn’t react the same as it emptied. I also now open a new vial. Same with Tresiba, which I have on the go 6 weeks+. It is hard ditching when there is still stuff in. Goes against all my thrift values. But I realised the not working aspect is more important.
I must say this is the first time I'm actually happy I need pretty large doses of insulin, never looked at it this way before! :)
Not that I particularly minded using more than most, if it works for me it's the right dose, but i'm very happy I never have to wonder if my insulin may be getting too old!

Reactions: Japes and Marie 2

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Nicola M, tell us if the Lyumjev works for you, please.
I always spike at lunch time unless I put in extra insulin to ward off the rise. Even if I pre-bolus and have a well-calculated lunch, it hard to eradicate the spike. I use Fiasp.
I think we all have different profiles, and mine just happens to chuck a few liver releases at me around about the middle of the day. I wish I knew why.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started Lyumjev last night so today is the first day I am actually using it fully and for the first time in months my lunch time blood sugar has actually stayed relatively within a normal range, my “highest” reading from my pump post lunch time meal was 9.3, which was 2 hours after eating. Usually at this time I would be 14+ and no autocorrections have been given (would usually have had a few by now!) so for the first day I am very happy and impressed. Also I haven’t really suffered with the stinging that is mentioned although my site is definitely a little more sore than usual but if this helps my lunch time sugars to stay within a good range I can put up with that! Will definitely see how the next week goes and whether there is an improvement but looks promising :)