Type 1'stars R Us

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just about to start jet washing at work but thought, as I cant just pop indoors for food and tests because I will be wet through, I'd test now and brew.
and my brew is perfecto.....

I find jet washing, particularly when getting paid, quite therapeutic.

Tony
Wow you work at an airport washing jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll get my coat and nip to the gym.:wacky:

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How has your morning been? Any stressful emails? Stressful spreadsheets? Is there such a thing about an unstressful spreadsheet? (Sorry that last question is irrelevant to BG levels.) Has your computer crashed? Has your phone been ringing non-stop? Is your favourite calming colleague not in today?
A stressful meeting can send my BG rocketing and then, when it is over they come back down to earth again.

But don't worry it's National I Care About You Day today and as a diabuddy, I care.
It is also National Greasy Foods Day and World Pasta Day but, even today, there is no excuse for deep fried macaroni cheese.

Hi Helen, no just been a typical day at work and it is generally fairly relaxed. I have been doing the job that long I dont get stressed at all. I have literally gone in and sat on my bum, looked at emails and worked a few spreadsheets. I literally had not moved for 2/3 hours. OK not moving will maybe not bring BG down but to go up from 5.1 to 12.3 is just ridiculous.

I used a fresh needle to inject, defo took the injection

It just infuriating as I did the exact same things the before, same food, same insulin, same lack of movement and BG stayed pretty constant around 6 mark all day

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How has your morning been? Any stressful emails? Stressful spreadsheets? Is there such a thing about an unstressful spreadsheet? (Sorry that last question is irrelevant to BG levels.) Has your computer crashed? Has your phone been ringing non-stop? Is your favourite calming colleague not in today?
A stressful meeting can send my BG rocketing and then, when it is over they come back down to earth again.

But don't worry it's National I Care About You Day today and as a diabuddy, I care.
It is also National Greasy Foods Day and World Pasta Day but, even today, there is no excuse for deep fried macaroni cheese.

We Scots love to deep fry everything, allegedly. However I have never seen or tasted a deep fried mars bar.

I have had deep fried ice cream when I was in Turkey on holiday and it was delish

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
We Scots love to deep fry everything, allegedly. However I have never seen or tasted a deep fried mars bar.

I have had deep fried ice cream when I was in Turkey on holiday and it was delish

I had deep fried haggis way back when the T1 signs were beginning to manifest - haggisfest - it was lovely and filling. The hotter the fat is the less that’s absorbed, always hot before elf an safety

Reactions: hh1 and kev-w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate your suggestions.
However, I have experimented a lot with my insulin for the gym and worked out what works best to keep my BG level during and after exercise.
For an hour session, I need to reduce my basal by 30% about 40 minutes before I start and continue for an hour post exercise.
If I reduce it by more (e.g. remove my pump), my BG goes up.
If I forget to reduce it, I hypo.
If I have any bolus insulin on board, I hypo so a pre-exercise bolus would not be a good idea.

The problem is not my BG it is the physical position of the pump. Hence the question where others undertaking similar activities find to put their pump.

Would a little cross body pouch work at all? It'd be easy to adjust by just swivelling it a bit.

I made myself such a pouch a few months ago, for my phone, when gardening or various other "stuff", when I might not have a convenient, appropriate pocket. My DSN friend commented it looks just like a pump pouch when she saw me sporting it mowing the lawns.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance of a photo?
It sounds like a pump belt (which I have tried) but find it gets sweaty. But I may be wrong.

Here y'go (excuse the quality).

The phone goes all the way down. I was just illustrating with it sticking out of the top.

It took 10 minutes to make from a remnant of nylon I had made sail bags from, with some nylon webbing, but could be made from anything. I didn't make any closure, but it could easily have a tab up and over the top, with velcro to stop the contents from liberating themselves. It could also have a slide adjuster on the strap to raise or lower it. With a quick slide you could reduce the strap length to pull the pouch up and situate it on your back or even chest. Mine sits at about hip level, but that's only because I cut a random length of the webbing from the roll when I made it.

If you fancy having a go, but can't think what you'd make it from. I have loads of the nylon and webbing in my workshop.

Edited to add, if sweaty is an issue, the back could be cotton or cotton canvas.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 297

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had deep fried haggis way back when the T1 signs were beginning to manifest - haggisfest - it was lovely and filling. The hotter the fat is the less that’s absorbed, always hot before elf an safety
The only time I've had Scots battered haggis was the summer of the year I got T1D, we'd gone to a scooter rally in Dunbar, 17 years old on a 125cc Lambretta, discovered a beer called 'heavy' and then discovered the pubs didn't shut at 3pm (they did in England back then :) ) and eventually chanced upon a chippy who sold us battered haggis and chips...

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all.

Woke up with post gym hypo (forgot to set my temp basal).
Which remind me - what do pumping gym goers do with their life source?

I ask because Pumpy and I are having regular falling outs at the gym.
I clip him to the top of my leggings (there aren't many other options).
He does well at the back when I am running - out of the way of my flailing arms.
But then has to move to the side when I do bench presses (and other lying down stuff) otherwise I lie on him.
The side is no good when I do bicep curls (and other arm weights) because I keep knocking him with the dumbbells so he gets moved to the front.
And then he has to move again when I do ab crunches to avoid him being ... crunched.

I tried clipping him to my top but it moves too much when I run and gets in the way with some weights.
I tried taking him off but my BG rose too much.

If I use a pump belt, I have the same problem of where to actual put the solid blighter. And get sweaty under the belt.

I'd like to do circuit training but I'd spend half my time moving Pumpy.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all.

Woke up with post gym hypo (forgot to set my temp basal).
Which remind me - what do pumping gym goers do with their life source?

I ask because Pumpy and I are having regular falling outs at the gym.
I clip him to the top of my leggings (there aren't many other options).
He does well at the back when I am running - out of the way of my flailing arms.
But then has to move to the side when I do bench presses (and other lying down stuff) otherwise I lie on him.
The side is no good when I do bicep curls (and other arm weights) because I keep knocking him with the dumbbells so he gets moved to the front.
And then he has to move again when I do ab crunches to avoid him being ... crunched.

I tried clipping him to my top but it moves too much when I run and gets in the way with some weights.
I tried taking him off but my BG rose too much.

If I use a pump belt, I have the same problem of where to actual put the solid blighter. And get sweaty under the belt.

I'd like to do circuit training but I'd spend half my time moving Pumpy.
Like the idea that Pumpy is "he" my BG is "she". Is this anthropomorphism at it's best/worst?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Like the idea that Pumpy is "he" my BG is "she". Is this anthropomorphism at it's best/worst?

It makes them part of the family like cars (mine has a female name that just sprang to mind when I first saw its number plate), boats (no, I don’t have one), and the wonderful Somerset usage that gives you everything a ‘he’ e g the kettle - you just ‘put him on’. And of course pets, horses, chickens. . .
I love the idea of Pumpy being a he, and Madame BG.

Reactions: Kim Possible

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It makes them part of the family like cars (mine has a female name that just sprang to mind when I first saw its number plate), boats (no, I don’t have one), and the wonderful Somerset usage that gives you everything a ‘he’ e g the kettle - you just ‘put him on’. And of course pets, horses, chickens. . .
I love the idea of Pumpy being a he, and Madame BG.

Can confirm - all my cars get monikers that suit their 'personality'. :playful:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Right, it’s been a long and happy day so off to bed. My lovely daughter gave me a silversmithing day for my birthday and I’m now wearing a ring I made with a moss agate stone, a bit of prehistoric moss that I feel a bit sorry for as it got trapped in what was to become an agate but is now luminously lovely. Very cheerful night night all.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update, just googled moss agate and it’s not moss but chalcedony with traces of impurities such as copper or iron. Not sure whether to be sorry or relieved it’s not actually moss.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all, very dull day sorting out all my jewellery ready for a craft market in New Brighton at the weekend. As much as I love silversmithing myself, I’ve not been able to make a living at it, so am selling off my older stock and concentrating on the commission stuff I do, alongside a proper job (yet to be acquired). Would love to see what you’ve made, @Fairygodmother :)

No news on the abscess front either, just shoving the pills down (not up!) me. Looking forward to an eruption at the most inconvenient moment possible.

Off to the Wirral tomorrow via Oxford, so a lot of miles, about three hundred. Will be nice to spend a few days with my mum, so need to pack my medical kit bag before bed...

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
10.1 this morning at 5.30 which I expected to be higher in all honesty as I was trying to get to bed last night and I kept getting low readings despite an evening meal consisting mainly of high carb spuds!
I threw food at me and caution to the wind in a desperate attempt to get some sleep.

Have a freaky Friday everyone

Tony

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mels cat to a waking 12.9 :( as I'd expected to be lower from yesterdays swim, but I guess not :( so I've an uncooked porridge pot sat sitting on the side winking at me whilst I wait for my bloods to drop :p

And just as I was going to post that my child came back home having missed her bus so in pj's and slippers I've driven her half way and dropped her in front of the bus, or in front of it on its route :p