Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @porl69, why not ask to read your notes. You should have every right to do so (unless the doctor thinks reading them might do you harm). Mind you if the notes are poorly done the doctor might be the one in potential harm !!!
I would be easier to read hieroglyphs than my consultants hand writing :hilarious:

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I wish my BS was 7.8 this morning :rolleyes: Chocolate puddles, sounds interesting.
@Robinredbreast Hotel Chocolat Supermilk one bit chocolate puddles. 100g = 27 carbs so I reckon 1 puddle is just less than 1 carb but I didn't actually count the puddles. The blurb on the back says they have less sugar than 70% dark choc.

K

Knikki

Tried everything else, try homeopathy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3159813.stm

That reminds me of something many years ago.

I used to work in a cancer research lab and we would often have visiting scientists come and do a stint. Anyway this one chap, visiting research doctor from Czechoslovakia (as it was back in the early 80's) was working in the labs when I let out a string of obscenities to which he was then asking what I said. I apologised but he said "no no what did you say?" so I told him and off he went, came back with a huge note book full of obscenities which he had collected from all the places he had worked, so me and my boss then sat down went through a whole plethora of swear words while he made a huge amount of notes and asking all the meanings for. :angelic::hilarious:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That reminds me of something many years ago.

I used to work in a cancer research lab and we would often have visiting scientists come and do a stint. Anyway this one chap, visiting research doctor from Czechoslovakia (as it was back in the early 80's) was working in the labs when I let out a string of obscenities to which he was then asking what I said. I apologised but he said "no no what did you say?" so I told him and off he went, came back with a huge note book full of obscenities which he had collected from all the places he had worked, so me and my boss then sat down went through a whole plethora of swear words while he made a huge amount of notes and asking all the meanings for. :angelic::hilarious:

Bet 'Mels cat' didn't appear in the list! :p

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good wishes to @Cumberland

All but cracked it this morning weighing in with a 7.0 after the troubles I've had getting it right since playing squash on Tuesdays.
I was in the 3s at 9pm but batted it out and went to bed on an 8.4.
A bit of tweaking required but all in all I'm satisfied.

Tony

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Starting to worry a wee bit that I may have cracked this type 1 nonsense after 37 years . Last 2 morning I have woke up to a BG of around 5. Instead of my usual huge spike going up by about 5 or 6 points before falling back to "normal" at lunchtime, I have had a pretty flat line for past 2 days. The only exception being when I dropped a bit into hypo territory and did my usual over correction.

Even after lunch and dinner and through the night it has been fairly flat.

After my rises of last week when I went from a decent overnight, getting up with a BG of 6 ish and rising to 17.2 a couple of hours later, which happened on a couple of days, past few days BG are a tad confusing, but in a good way

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@evilclive, thanks for that!

So, first consultant visit for nine and a half years - what a change! Young consultant, had read my notes beforehand, apologised that the system had lost me somewhere, talked about all the blood results indicating I was doing fine. I told him that I'd learned a lot from this forum, and as a result of that and seeing the nurse consultant for Somerset I now correct as and when necessary which, combined with Libre, has been a real game-changer for me (thanks, all of you on here). He then asked if I'd come across Sugar Surfing; I said I'd heard of it but not read it. He said it was akin to what I'm doing but takes it much further and that he wouldn't recommend it to everyone because it requires micro-management of diabetes. We talked about how far into that I want to go; he said he thinks that for really good control, there's a degree of obsession and it's about personal choice.

We also discussed a bit of a problem with an after-breakfast spike that's brought down by walking but I'd prefer not to have the spike and he suggested trying Fiasp but said it's not a great deal faster than the Humalog I currently take.

All in all I found him easy to talk to, willing to listen, accepting of difference and prepared to offer ideas to help. Lucky me!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@evilclive, thanks for that!

So, first consultant visit for nine and a half years - what a change! Young consultant, had read my notes beforehand, apologised that the system had lost me somewhere, talked about all the blood results indicating I was doing fine. I told him that I'd learned a lot from this forum, and as a result of that and seeing the nurse consultant for Somerset I now correct as and when necessary which, combined with Libre, has been a real game-changer for me (thanks, all of you on here). He then asked if I'd come across Sugar Surfing; I said I'd heard of it but not read it. He said it was akin to what I'm doing but takes it much further and that he wouldn't recommend it to everyone because it requires micro-management of diabetes. We talked about how far into that I want to go; he said he thinks that for really good control, there's a degree of obsession and it's about personal choice.

We also discussed a bit of a problem with an after-breakfast spike that's brought down by walking but I'd prefer not to have the spike and he suggested trying Fiasp but said it's not a great deal faster than the Humalog I currently take.

All in all I found him easy to talk to, willing to listen, accepting of difference and prepared to offer ideas to help. Lucky me!
glad you had such a good appointment hh1 makes a refreshing change and your consultant sounds very pro active :)

Reactions: Cumberland

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1529608017699.jpg

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 your consultant sounds like a keeper. Hope you don't fall down the back of the sofa for the next 8 years.

I have had one of those hectic days when diabetes has been on the back burner in favour of my "diabetes doesn't stop me" philosophy.
It's been a day of entertaining customers at a mini conference. Setting everything up, signing them in, uncovering sales opportunities, directing them to the food, drink, presentations, toilets, ... being polite at all times, not complaining about my employer in case I am overheard, doing ad hoc demonstrations, smiling at all times,...
And then catching the 20:45 train home (with standing room only) instead of going out for dinner with senior management.
Feeling a tad tired and can't wait to get home.

Meanwhile BG has had a roller coaster of a day.
Im not suprised helensarmy im shattered reading about your hectic day

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Too tame from what I remember, it was a long time ago but seriously he had one of those Filofaxes literally bulging with notes he had made. Wish I could remember some of them. ;)
Is this Mel's cat ? If so, where is the hot tin roof !!
P4070217 (1).jpg

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good wishes to @Cumberland

All but cracked it this morning weighing in with a 7.0 after the troubles I've had getting it right since playing squash on Tuesdays.
I was in the 3s at 9pm but batted it out and went to bed on an 8.4.
A bit of tweaking required but all in all I'm satisfied.

Tony
Wot ! tweaking as in tweaking the reindeer's nose ??

Reactions: Cumberland

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Starting to worry a wee bit that I may have cracked this type 1 nonsense after 37 years . Last 2 morning I have woke up to a BG of around 5. Instead of my usual huge spike going up by about 5 or 6 points before falling back to "normal" at lunchtime, I have had a pretty flat line for past 2 days. The only exception being when I dropped a bit into hypo territory and did my usual over correction.

Even after lunch and dinner and through the night it has been fairly flat.

After my rises of last week when I went from a decent overnight, getting up with a BG of 6 ish and rising to 17.2 a couple of hours later, which happened on a couple of days, past few days BG are a tad confusing, but in a good way
Please do not worry too much, you might be a hex on it !!!

Reactions: smc4761