Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good frosty morning everyone, winter’s really here. Big jumpers and fleece lined leggings day today. With shorts for the active blokes among us? Now where did I put that old thick skirt?
Hi @Fairygodmother, It was 33 degrees C here yesterday, and 20 degree today. All the winter gear is packed up. Yes, that is me, waving from the Southern hemisphere. Must be the tilt on the world's pin ball machine which is causing the hot and variable weather down-under. I hope your woolies warm the cockles of your heart !!

Last edited:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, blood sugar ok overnight, nothing much going on. I did have a Danish Pastry for breakfast instead of my usual overnight oats, because I forgot the overnight bit, and that was rather nice, but I don't know if I bolused enough, or waiting long enough before eating. I will no doubt find out.

And I want to be a hobgoblin, this is most troubling.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
A horrible 14.8 on waking; if there’s any cause for this it’s draining the vial of Levemir to the last overworked drop and just not having enough exercise with the knackety knee. Oh how good exercise is for bs cheer. Now down a bit but it’s going to be one of those days. Ah well, moan and groan.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got laminate?

Never had it before always opted for carpets

Not where I am now, but I have had it, and know a few people with it, it works well, and looks good. You can get some nice rugs to put on it, they're much easier to replace, if you get bored with the colour, or the pattern, than a carpet.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That reminds me of my grandmothers house.
She used to have laminate floor with nice rugs on. Then not so nice rugs on top of them to protect the nice ones.
Her house was a trip hazard.

But it can look nice!

That's a bit sad, she never got to really enjoy the nice rugs.

Reactions: Cumberland

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all. Woke to a low this morning, must have been my turn lol. Running at 4.8 as we speak so going to have some biccies with my tea in a bit to stop it falling....
Rugs on laminate flooring can be deadly.....my ex mother-in-law used to polish her laminate once a month.....I really wish I had videoed the slips and slide for the day or so after she had done it, I would have made a killing on "You've been framed" lol

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can buy stuff to put under rugs to stop them slipping, and there are lots of rugs with lovely colourful fun patterns around these days.

@Cumberland 's home will doubtless now turn into one that looks so super cool and trendy, that it could appear in a home magazine.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now my morning BG usually spike really badly around 3 hours after taking my Novoslow. I have however increased my bolus, now taking 1:3 ratio with brekkie. 3 hours later sitting at 5.7, had a couple of biccies and now at 12.30 sitting at 6.4. looks like this could be my new ratio[/QUOTE]

This is what really infuriates me about being type 1. Yesterday morning 6.4 on waking up and no spike as mentioned above

This morning I had the same situation woke up at same time with a 6.1 had same insulin, same pre bolus time, same food, porridge. Yesterday 3 hours after injection it was 5.7, this morning 3 hours after injection 12.3. WHYYYYYYYYYY:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Now my morning BG usually spike really badly around 3 hours after taking my Novoslow. I have however increased my bolus, now taking 1:3 ratio with brekkie. 3 hours later sitting at 5.7, had a couple of biccies and now at 12.30 sitting at 6.4. looks like this could be my new ratio

This is what really infuriates me about being type 1. Yesterday morning 6.4 on waking up and no spike as mentioned above

This morning I had the same situation woke up at same time with a 6.1 had same insulin, same pre bolus time, same food, porridge. Yesterday 3 hours after injection it was 5.7, this morning 3 hours after injection 12.3. WHYYYYYYYYYY:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:[/QUOTE]

Oh the joys of T1D lol :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good afternoon guys, hope you are all well and happy :)
It's a beautiful winter's day here and enjoying seeing the sunshine.
A heads up if you are interested :- George Howarth mp, with other member's in the House of Commons talking about Type 1 diabetes technology, artificial pancreas, CGM etc and their availability, very interesting, if a little on the lengthy side.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...ouse-commons/96998/george-howarth-mp-benefits

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon guys, hope you are all well and happy :)
It's a beautiful winter's day here and enjoying seeing the sunshine.
A heads up if you are interested :- George Howarth mp, with other member's in the House of Commons talking about Type 1 diabetes technology, artificial pancreas, CGM etc and their availability, very interesting, if a little on the lengthy side.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...ouse-commons/96998/george-howarth-mp-benefits

Go George I say!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all.

It's funny reading the frustrations with the inconsistencies with type 1.
I don't feel the same. I think it is because my days are so different - one day I'll have an omelette for lunch, the next day beans on toast, the next day I'll get a huge bar of chocolate; one day I'll go to a spin class and climbing, the next day I'll not venture out in the rain and the next I'll walk 5 miles around London between trains and meetings; one day I'll be at home all day, the next I'll drive to a meeting in Newbury, the next I'll fly to Brussels and the next I'll be entertaining customers until the wee hours of the morning.
As my days are unpredictable, I think it would be unfair to expect diabetes to behave the same every day. It always has something to make it higher or lower than usual - a stressful presentation today, a few drinks last night, a long run the day before, getting bored on a conference stand the day before that, ...
Maybe that is why I give my diabetes a little more leeway than others. If I find I am constantly hypo in the middle of the morning, I'll make a tweak to my insulin doses but a hypo out of the blue or a reading above 10 once or twice a week and I'll just shrug my shoulders.

Hi @helensaramay I am pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum. My weekdays are pretty much the same, up at same time same brekkie, lunch may vary but about the same carbs , the same with dinner. I work in a office so sit on my far ar5e most of time working with spreadsheets/emails Even after dinner I tend to do the sameish things ie very little. To be honest this suits me as apart from the spikes my BG are pretty much the same. I do like a routine and consistency.

Weekends are different as I tend to be brave and venture outside Woooooooooo, when i go birdwatching/walking. Doing this I am out of my comfort zone and have no idea how much energy i will use up so BG can be a bit over the place. Mealtimes are also out of sync as well, weekdays I tend to eat at same times.

I am not averse to tweeking my insulin and have become more confident in doing this over past 8 months or so.

I have my pump assessment next week and I am hoping to get pump in first few months of year. Maybe this will help a little

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aren't the inconsistencies just part of being human? That's pretty much how I see it. I could do the same thing every day for a year, but despite that I would change, because I would be a day older every day, but as well as that the world around me would be different. One day my neighbour might be quiet all day, the next they might make a lot of noise, one day the bus, assuming I was catching one might arrive perfectly on time, the next day a bit late, and be overcowded.

No day is the same, our emotional reaction to what's going on around us might be different.

It's just being human.

We just have to deal with these variations as best we can, either that or we take Elon Musk's advice, and become cyborgs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Jaylee part of the delight in driving the Skoda is the weirdness and malfunctioning. The fuel gauge hasn't worked for years but it's never stopped me taking it to France and Poland. The radio is the damp. The mechanic did something to disable the central locking, can't remember why................. too long ago:hilarious:
I'm impressed by your knowledge
Thanks.
I've had two Bedford CFs with dodgy gauges. & my last Mazda.. I did get round to fixing the problem with the sender on the Mazzy, which has taken me to Poland & on another excursion down to Italy via Austria... :cool:

If I can fix an issue myself, I'll happily take the challenge on. :)