Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
MOOOOOOOOOOORNING!!! No call for teaching yet today, so looks like I’ll be silversmithing in my shed, got a couple of orders in over the last week. Bloods good overnight, foot on the floor beginning to kick in, so will keep an eye on that and hopefully nobble it before it gets out of hand.

(Still a bit wired from last night)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all and a happy Friday :) an odd waking for me as the Libre said 3.4 with a downward facing arrow, but I felt fine, finger stick said 6 and a second Libre scan said 6.1 and didn't show a red line, which is odd as it does show a downwards dip, new sensor last night so we'll see...
A week till the shortest day :) and a good time to plant your garlic cloves....

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, blood sugar overnight was good enough, seems to be reasonably happy with 7 units of levemir overnight, at the moment, don't know how long that will last.

On my Danish pastry @Diakat the bolusing started off fine, but then my blood glucose started to rise, and I panicked, and instead of just walking it off, as I usually do for the morning spike, I did a correction, and the libre records a rapid fall, and an extended hypo, after lunch. Oh well.

Reactions: Cumberland

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't been around for a couple of days, out working long hours. Because I don't get any exercise really when I'm working I have to adjust my insulin and I've always found that difficult. This week, apart from a bit of a spike after breakfast both days (driving in rush hour to a deadline mostly causes that I think) bg has been in range consistently - I was bolder in basal adjustments and it seems to have worked, so I'm pleased with that.

@Mel dCP congrats on your first call! When you said you were doing the training I assumed I knew what being a first responder meant, but then realised I probably didn't know much at all. I looked it up and I didn't know that you eventually work on your own, or the amount of time you're expected to commit, or that you could be facing someone who's had a heart attack or an equally life-threatening event. I think it's brilliant, and it'd be interesting to know what made you decide to do it?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another 6.something this morning - new evening basal level seems to be doing the trick, I might even knock it back up 1u for next week, so in theory should be waking up in the 5s..............yeah right!

When ever we have a cold snap our heating goes on the blink. With the last cold snap I drained the system down and gave it a flushing out and it was working brilliantly even to the point of the wife txting me one day to ask how to turn it down as it was too hot (that once in a million years occurrence - she's always cold :wideyed:), so last night lit the fire as a matter of course sat nice and warm in the living room then mid evening left the living room and the rest of the house was cold, radiators were coldish too. Just great! I had a fiddle and this morning we do have some heat..........any heating engineers frequent this thread????!!! :rolleyes:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all, after a much better night’s BG than the one before. The bad cat infection’s nearly tamed so better all round, apart from my fecking illegitimate knee. (No, I’m not being unPC, and no snow here yet; my sister and I were illegitimate before a certain Act of Parliament in 1959.)
I’m ringing hospital appointments after writing this to find out if they’ve decided where to refer me too. A big thank you to all who had a hand in the NHS wrecking policies of recent history.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Happy day! The paperwork’s been triaged (I always thought a triage meant prodding and poking the patient) so I just have to wait for a letter, and keep ringing until I get one? It’s only been 6 weeks since the MRI so the system’s ticking over as slowly as I can walk with this wretched knee. I feel sorry for all those trying their hardest to keep everything going.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP congrats on your first call! When you said you were doing the training I assumed I knew what being a first responder meant, but then realised I probably didn't know much at all. I looked it up and I didn't know that you eventually work on your own, or the amount of time you're expected to commit, or that you could be facing someone who's had a heart attack or an equally life-threatening event. I think it's brilliant, and it'd be interesting to know what made you decide to do it?

Yeah, it’s pretty full-on stuff! We’re trained and equipped to deal with some serious issues - catastrophic haemorrhaging, cardiac arrest, breathing issues etc. In our kit we have military grade tourniquets, a defibrillator, oxygen, insertable tubes to help unconscious people breathe... we don’t have to work alone if we’d rather go in pairs, but my partner and I are planning to do our solo assessments when we have some follow-up training in January, so that we can go out alone if we want to. Most of the stuff we get called to are “amber” alerts - someone complaining of chest pain for example. They’ve not actually keeled over and are conscious, but there’s a high risk they might. Our patient last night had a history of heart attacks, so we were quite prepared for him to keel over and require the full treatment - but luckily he didn’t and was able to walk to the ambulance. I was so relieved, losing your first patient in the middle of a wake would have been quite a thing!

As for why, I’ve always wanted to be a medic of some sort - I wasn’t able to go to med school as a young’un, so went into biology and biochemistry instead. Then family and stuff loomed, my diabetes was making me very ill, and my dream got put so far on the back burner that it fell down the back of the cooker. But this year, now that all my tech has enabled me to get the T1 sorted, I feel like an actual human again, so I’ve been able to pursue my dream. A spot of thyroxine to up my thyroid has also made a world of difference. Emergency medicine suits my temperament very well - responding to a call and reacting when you get there, diagnosing and putting pieces of the puzzle together, and then fixing the problem as best I can - right up my alley. I’ve only done one real life call, obviously, and it had a positive outcome, but I loved every minute of it. And of course I’ve been given so much by the NHS, it’s saved my ar5e more times than I can count, and I really wanted to give something back, as cheesy as it sounds. The other main reason is very close to my heart - 20 years ago my lovely mum keeled over with a pulmonary embolism, the paramedics took a while to get there, and when they did it was too late. If by getting there ASAP and holding the fort, I can save another family going through the kind of pain we did, I’d be so happy.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As for why, I’ve always wanted to be a medic of some sort - I wasn’t able to go to med school as a young’un, so went into biology and biochemistry instead

I remember you saying, when you were talking about the interview that you'd been in the St John's Ambulance Brigade, so it must have been a serious long term ambition.

Reactions: hh1 and Cumberland

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yeah, it’s pretty full-on stuff! We’re trained and equipped to deal with some serious issues - catastrophic haemorrhaging, cardiac arrest, breathing issues etc. In our kit we have military grade tourniquets, a defibrillator, oxygen, insertable tubes to help unconscious people breathe... we don’t have to work alone if we’d rather go in pairs, but my partner and I are planning to do our solo assessments when we have some follow-up training in January, so that we can go out alone if we want to. Most of the stuff we get called to are “amber” alerts - someone complaining of chest pain for example. They’ve not actually keeled over and are conscious, but there’s a high risk they might. Our patient last night had a history of heart attacks, so we were quite prepared for him to keel over and require the full treatment - but luckily he didn’t and was able to walk to the ambulance. I was so relieved, losing your first patient in the middle of a wake would have been quite a thing!

As for why, I’ve always wanted to be a medic of some sort - I wasn’t able to go to med school as a young’un, so went into biology and biochemistry instead. Then family and stuff loomed, my diabetes was making me very ill, and my dream got put so far on the back burner that it fell down the back of the cooker. But this year, now that all my tech has enabled me to get the T1 sorted, I feel like an actual human again, so I’ve been able to pursue my dream. A spot of thyroxine to up my thyroid has also made a world of difference. Emergency medicine suits my temperament very well - responding to a call and reacting when you get there, diagnosing and putting pieces of the puzzle together, and then fixing the problem as best I can - right up my alley. I’ve only done one real life call, obviously, and it had a positive outcome, but I loved every minute of it. And of course I’ve been given so much by the NHS, it’s saved my ar5e more times than I can count, and I really wanted to give something back, as cheesy as it sounds. The other main reason is very close to my heart - 20 years ago my lovely mum keeled over with a pulmonary embolism, the paramedics took a while to get there, and when they did it was too late. If by getting there ASAP and holding the fort, I can save another family going through the kind of pain we did, I’d be so happy.
Magnificent @Mel dCP !! One useful policy suggested by our ambulance and first responders to people at home is getting each householder to have a copy of their medical records (even if only list of medication and allergies) kept on the top of the fridge. Can save time and lives !!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like most are having a good day BG wise, oh well might as well be the exception. Slightly high on waking, done correct dose followed by usual spike going up to 12.9 before dropping back to a nice 6.2 about 15 minutes ago.

These spikes are a PIA, oh that sounds a bit rude:angelic::angelic:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon guys, hope your'll having a great day with that Friday feeling. Really busy this morning and popped in to visit friend and wife this morning as its his birthday ( but stayed for nearly two hours lol) I sneezed 6 times in a row there, home for lunch sneezed 3 times and now another 2, so 11 so far lol, not sure what's going on, but will keep an eye on it.
BS last night was 8.9, breakfast 7.9 before lunch 5.3.......... happy with those so I think I should have this sneezing 'attack' more often ;) :p