1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @porl69, yes, it was 10 g carb per portion, x portions per meal etc and it was a matter of knowing what the exchanges were, so that you could vary the food without changing the total grams of carbs per meal. But no carbs to insulin ratio, no lowering portions if high BSL.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone have a good day

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Morning all - better overnight figures for me managed to stay in range all last night so hoping whatever bug I've had is fading, also got a new pump coming as discovered a crack on my Medtronic 640g on the back from the bottom to the top, hairline but affects the warranty so it's a change over, second cracked pump in 2 years. Never a dull moment :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 2
  4. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, have an uneventful day.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Yep remember those "finger prick" contraptions the only thing, other than a long bow, to drive a pointed object through a inch of solid oak.

How hum all OK over here running low 4's at the moment which is fine :)

• Funny Funny x 6
  6. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning, have to say it again to everyone who's been dealing with T1 for so long and had to use those tools of torture and associated contraptions. You are all fantastic, take my hat off to you all.
    I'm going to try hard not to talk about food or numbers or anything which might make you all roll your eyes:couchpotato::hilarious::hungry:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ouch.....I can so remember them....instruments of torture from the T1D museum of horrors

I can remember the portions BUT cannot remember 10g to 1 portion, I guess that is the joys of getting older :hilarious::p

• Like Like x 3
  8. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I walk my hound every evening, 45 min to an hour, 3-4 miles, and I find a 0% basal for the hour beforehand does the trick. I'm still surprised that my body seems to favour glucose as its energy source after nine months on keto, but hey ho.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Colin of Kent

They were, by comparison to today's fingersticks, enormous (about 10 cm long) and required about sixty times the volume of blood that today's strips ask for. Many's the time I spent what seemed like several minutes trying to (a) make a deep enough injury to yield the required quantity and then (b) squeeze and squeeze like a lemon until I'd got enough. Then you had to wait 60 seconds before wiping off, then wait another 60 before you could compare the bi-colour square to the legend on the side of the tub... and hope there was something that resembled one of them...

This picture is a lot like my first ever setup:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Colin of Kent

I was given one of them in hospital at diagnosis. They called it the 'guillotine' which didn't really help matters...

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all. A bit dull here which is not conducive to my planned painting of doors.
    Re exercise- swimming, walking fast, and gym raises my sugar levels and will require extra insulin. Ordinary walking and in Bloom gardening mornings I have a lovely straight line and require neither food nor insulin. But vacuuming, yes vacuuming makes my levels plummet! Requiring immediate sugar. Go figure!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Its so weird isn't it as gardening really makes my sugars drop...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon here, G'd Morning there.
    I was the tender age of 27 (in 1980) when I met Stan Clarke in Sydney.
    Stan was an expat Brit working in electronics. His daughter also had T1D and in response to a request from the Sydney Children's hospital he had set about and made the first fully portable, battery-operated glucometer in 1978.
    Yes, he used the Ames glucostix in his device and set up a home factory to make more of these devices which cost AUD 35 back then.
    It is interesting that despite his feat and winning numerous awards the America-biased history of the development of glucometers has failed to mention Stan.
    Those that have read Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes book will recall also that he managed in 1969 to purchase a glucometer for the princely sum of USD 650. There devices were meant for doctors only.
    For Australia in the late 70s, early 80s to be at the forefront with an affordable, portable machine made by an expat Brit is something for both countries to be proud of.
    I kept buying Stan's glucometers as he developed his devices further and now regret having given the first one away.
    Yes, my very first glucometer was mailed to a TID American friend in 1983 because according to him over there no ordinary citizen could easily afford one !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh wow that picture took me back in time with a bang......soooooo much easier now

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ah, memories, memories!

I was dx'd in 1988, I don't recall grams being discussed, the DSN seemed to relate everything to Digestive biscuits!

So I'd be looking at a meal and thinking, yep, that's about 4 biscuits.

Would probably have been easier to just eat the biscuits...

Re the old colour changing strips, if anyone wants a nostalgia trip, there's a few places still selling Glucoflex-R strips. I bought a couple of packs a while back and had forgotten what a huge drop of blood they needed - practically an armful!

https://www.betachek.com/uk/store

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. porl69

Instruments of pain. These were the 1st needles I can remember. The pack had to last a month...... 20190110_101259.jpg

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm aghast, thank whoever I managed to miss that bit! Instruments of torture sounds more appropriate. A serious question - where did you stick 1 1/2 inch needles if you were skinny?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

That's the puppies! (Or similar.)

Occasionally they detached from the syringe whilst injecting..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  19. porl69

My belly was my favorite(?) place. I had horrendous lipohypertrophy because of those needles.....same place day in day out as it was less painful!

• Hug Hug x 3
  20. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

The leg. I was quite a skinny 8 year old.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook