Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings fellow teabags, what have I missed. Been away sunning myself on Costa del Sol for 5 days of glorious weather.

Thats the good news (well for me anyway) the bad news OMG by bloods were all over the place. I pretty much behaved and drank very little, most was 2 pints all day and even food wise, had more carbs than normal but not silly amounts.

Went to bed on first night and BG had shot up from around 9 at 11 oclock to 17.9 by 2 in morning. Took a small correction dose of 4 units which should bring me down to around 12. Woke up at 5 am to a ridiculous 2.2. major panic sets in but recovered OK

A few days later had brekkie with a BG of 8.2. Normally brekkie will keep me going for around 3.5--4 hours. About 1 hour later it was 12.3, which is fairly normal before dropping back. 2.5 hours later its at 6.1 and heading straight down 20 mins later now at 4.5 and dropping. Panic again sets in so can of coke plus Mars bar and an hour later its at 6.3 way lower than I would have expected.

It was like that for the 5 days huge highs, up to 19.4 and big lows down to 3 and 4. This messed with my mind a lot and I was very conscious of going low so would tend to go into panic mode and just overdo it even when BG was at 7/8.

Not sure if it was the weather, it was sunny and 22 degress or just simply my overactive mind. I can convince myself I have a low BG, feel all the symptoms even though I could be 12+

Need to get myself back on track for my pump fitting it under 3 weeks

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to cloud a sunny day but, I have a question:
If there’s a shortage of insulin after the end of March can we T1s bring a class action against the govt? Assuming we’re still here to see it through.
Pleased to see that there’s a stock planned - it’s just a question that popped into my head as I read about the latest debacles.
My pharmacy can’t get hold of 10ml Novorapid vials at the moment - they’ve given me pens to extract the insulin from...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My pharmacy can’t get hold of 10ml Novorapid vials at the moment - they’ve given me pens to extract the insulin from...

Did they say why that is Mel? I can understand the Libre sensor shortage, but Novorapid vials when a fair few pumpers use them? Need an explanation.

Reactions: kitedoc

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Mel dCP , I am sure I read somewhere that extracting insulin from pen vials to go into pumps vials is a No No. Cant think why as surely its same insulin?

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Did they say why that is Mel? I can understand the Libre sensor shortage, but Novorapid vials when a fair few pumpers use them? Need an explanation.
Hi @Mel dCP , I am sure I read somewhere that extracting insulin from pen vials to go into pumps vials is a No No. Cant think why as surely its same insulin?
They’ve run out of stock, basically. I had to go back a different day to get my second sensor, as they’d run out of those too. It’s a big local chain. I think they say not to use pen cartridges because if you inject air into it before extracting the insulin, they can explode. But if you just pull it out (using the syringe that comes with the new pod), it’s fine - the rubber bung bit just moves down the tube. Same with pens; I’ve used both before to avoid wasting insulin that was approaching its expiry date. Alternatively you could just fit a pen needle and squirt the insulin into an empty 10ml bottle to use in the usual way, but it goes quite frothy and needs a while to settle.

In other news, Husbeast woke up too late to go and see the HorribleSmallDiesel so I’m off the hook. For now. I’m going out on call tonight, wonder what we’ll get?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
There’s a fantastic chippy in Keswick that cooks gluten free fish and chips

Absolutely deelish

It’s called the Kingfisher upstairs has the restaurant we go there every time we visit

Thanks Cumbs, I did have my first gluten free fish supper take away last year in my town, GF on a Tuesday, but, it made me very sick a couple of hours later, never went back :inpain:

Reactions: Cumberland
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have done some much needed ironing and watched Jane Ayre on BBC 2 whilst doing it, a great oldie, with Orson Wells. Now thinking about dinner for tonight, daughter wont be here, so just for one tonight.

Reactions: Molly56

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Asda here had run out of sensors too, Mel. An order for 24 (Asda’s) failed to appear and another for 15 awaited. Abbott say they’ve had difficulty with their supply train. Asda won’t take any orders, only chance is to ring on the day they come in and bag one before collection.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Night night Karen, night night all. Hope you’ve had a decent call out evening Mel, that your dinner was delicious Robin, that your bs settle down smc4761, that tomorrow’s sunny too Cumbs and everyone I’ve not mentioned has had and will have a good weekend.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have anyways tended to draw insulin out of the pen vials for use in the pump for past 7 years - no problem.
I think there was a ban on doing so with the higher strength short-acting insulins e.g. U500.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First on parade today.:)
The rewards of having a lovely wife who works night shifts.
Had the alarm set for 7a.m. Problems arose at 6.15 a.m when Dexcom alarm decided it wanted to wake me instead.
No harm in waking to 4.1 though.
A slightly new breakfast option today. Avocado, banana, oats, flax seeds and milk smoothie. Left in fridge since last night.
Seems to be doing the business, BS coming up and food craving slowly diminishing.
Have a pleasant day everyone.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First on parade today.:)
The rewards of having a lovely wife who works night shifts.
Had the alarm set for 7a.m. Problems arose at 6.15 a.m when Dexcom alarm decided it wanted to wake me instead.
No harm in waking to 4.1 though.
A slightly new breakfast option today. Avocado, banana, oats, flax seeds and milk smoothie. Left in fridge since last night.
Seems to be doing the business, BS coming up and food craving slowly diminishing.
Have a pleasant day everyone.
A nice low carb brekkie then!!!
It sometimes seems to be a juggling act for T1s and insulin dependent T2s to get things onto an ‘even keel’ something that I, luckily, have never had to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Daphne917 . Most definitely low carb. Providing it’s all I eat for the next 4 days. I reckon about 40g carbs in the smoothie.
Sadly I don’t feel I’ll be accepted into the LCHF club to soon:):):):):). Thankfully.:):):):):).

Reactions: Daphne917

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to report back on yesterday's Six Nations Blood Sugars experiment. I am sad to report a 10.6 as the match ended, having been steady at 7.5 and 7.8 before and at half-time. A brisk hour's walk got me back down to 6.0.

I do not wish Scotland to continue losing to test my theory the stress raises my blood sugars.

Well done to Wales! I may have to moderate my usual stance on England (in Rugby matters) if Henry Slade is on the team. I may have a massive dilemma is he's playing Scotland as Team T1D matters lots!

Off to test the church stress BG rises...

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daphne917 . Most definitely low carb. Providing it’s all I eat for the next 4 days. I reckon about 40g carbs in the smoothie.
Sadly I don’t feel I’ll be accepted into the LCHF club to soon:):):):):). Thankfully.:):):):):).
Not sure what the max carb intake is for LCHF but I think that I could still be classed as a member as my carb intake is probably between 100 - 140g per day - although yesterday I may have breached that as Tesco had some warm hot cross buns calling ‘eat me’ so when I got home I did - had plenty of butter on it though so that may have helped a bit and for lunch I had burger and chips although, in my defence, I only had half the bun, not too many chips and plenty of salad. Had the last hot X bun for supper and woke up to a respectable 5.4.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Breakfast is probably my downfall when it comes to carbs. I tend to eat porridge, all 5 spoonfulls of raw porridge with half milk half water and that is around 40 g of carbs. Either that or 2 poached eggs on toast again around 40 g of carbs.

Lunch is generally around 25 g of carbs and dinner most days, chicken meat or fish with veg which is fairly minimal carbs. Wonder if they would let me join LCHF club, Unfortunately I do this about 5 days a week and the other 2 days are a bit more carb laden. But hey I enjoy my food

Reactions: Knikki