Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Got rid of books/cds/records and numerous other bits of our life when we moved 4+ years ago. Husband 63 and me 60 this year. We don’t feel as though we need all this stuff anymore as everything is available at the push of a button now.

We got rid of all the fiction books (hundreds upon hundreds - 14 tall sets of bookshelves worth) but I keep my reference books as paper because it's easier to copy paper patterns out of a large book, or recipes, and my accounting books are invaluable as paper (although I have them all as pdf as well).

All the music and films etc are on the server now, which is great!

Certainly the house looks and feels better - I try and donate at least five good sized cardboard boxes full each month and I have no idea where it all comes from, but I just move from room to room each month and fill up yet another batch of boxes!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski I don't think it matters. I've got so many books standing upright on shelves with others then lying on top of them. Ikea deliver too:bookworm:
Oh same, but I had my books on the window sill but to be told sunning is bad for books :( So I'll need to rearrange my part of the study.

Reactions: kitedoc

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.9 before dinner, not too shabby. I made dinner and gave my bf his bowl and he always eat the vegetables first. It's like I don't like veggies so I'll eat it quickly to get it out of the way. :hilarious:

Reactions: kitedoc and WuTwo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@WuTwo I'd like to say I tried your advice today and I did a different ratio for my cereal (yes cereal for lunch :hilarious:)
and that's the result - 5.9 before dinner. :)

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@MeiChanski - that's brilliant! It takes a shedload of testing to get the ratios sorted out but it's worth it in the end.

I've got literally thousands of records in my app now over the past five years (since I got it) and I can track trends very quickly. It does help.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Oh same, but I had my books on the window sill but to be told sunning is bad for books :( So I'll need to rearrange my part of the study.
Sun fades the colours. I love my books but there are far too many. The only book free zone is the kitchen and bathroom. I've been ruthless and have started to make a pile of books to take to a charity shop. I've also got a whole series of Grantas dating back to.. year dot which I've no idea what to do with

Reactions: kitedoc

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sun fades the colours. I love my books but there are far too many. The only book free zone is the kitchen and bathroom. I've been ruthless and have started to make a pile of books to take to a charity shop. I've also got a whole series of Grantas dating back to.. year dot which I've no idea what to do with
Yes, I'm quite protective of mine because language books and law textbooks are very expensive. :hilarious: I recently had this urge to learn Japanese and Korean and I have a few novels. It doesn't help that I have £150 worth of books in my Amazon basket.
Wow, I don't have that many books, I guess a few looks nice. My bf's parent's house is like a library and it is overwhelming to look at and the difficulty of dusting it and keeping it clean makes me shiver (quite dusty with their books).

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

I like keeping books I thought were good, and rereading ones from earlier in my life is a whole new experience. I like the feel of a book that you can flip back and forward in more easily than in an IT version. Also, the local bookshop needs to be preserved, such lovely people work there.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Ah, memories of the super-controlling charity boarding school I went to where one frien’s rebellion (all the best rebelled) was to display the then scandalous Henry Miller on the window sill

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like keeping books I thought were good, and rereading ones from earlier in my life is a whole new experience. I like the feel of a book that you can flip back and forward in more easily than in an IT version. Also, the local bookshop needs to be preserved, such lovely people work there.
Ah, memories of the super-controlling charity boarding school I went to where one frien’s rebellion (all the best rebelled) was to display the then scandalous Henry Miller on the window sill
I'm in between pdf copies and books, while I think uni books are expensive a pdf copy is a good choice but it doesn't beat the physical feel of the book. I'm very strange because I like the smell of new books, have you ever been to waterstones and got a quick whiff? :hilarious:
Oh wow that is daring indeed.
I have a lot of books and the dusting is very easy. Simply dust the book you want to read when you pick it from the shelf!
I think dusting is easier when it's not accumulated to a thick layer. Some people don't dust often though :(

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Type 1 fail from me tonight, just realised I have two full boxes of Levemir in the fridge and no Novo sluggish. Argh! Have put in an online script but will be rationing until Friday when the goods reach the chemist.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I am a happy chappie, BG is not too shabby and I did a cheeky book shop on ebay because there is a promo code going on. :) Unfortunately the hormone monster has made an entrance, so I am hugging "starry" (star shaped pillow with a microwavable bag of beans):hilarious:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 fail from me tonight, just realised I have two full boxes of Levemir in the fridge and no Novo sluggish. Argh! Have put in an online script but will be rationing until Friday when the goods reach the chemist.
Oh no, I hope you're okay, is there anyone in the area that can help you tomorrow until you get your script?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh no, I hope you're okay, is there anyone in the area that can help you tomorrow until you get your script?
Luckily there is a T1 up the road and I have lent her long acting before so could recall a favour in dire straits. Also in one of those odd-nine-steps-removed ways a flat mate of a colleague is T1 so feelers could be put out. Not to mention my boss’ dad being an insulin using T2.
Still cross with myself though!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, can you contact your surgery tomorrow and get an urgent NovoRapid script, you can't go on rations :(

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, can you contact your surgery tomorrow and get an urgent NovoRapid script, you can't go on rations :(
I’ve put in the online one and can call tomorrow to ask them to expedite- cross with myself though!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily there is a T1 up the road and I have lent her long acting before so could recall a favour in dire straits. Also in one of those odd-nine-steps-removed ways a flat mate of a colleague is T1 so feelers could be put out. Not to mention my boss’ dad being an insulin using T2.
Still cross with myself though!
I suppose it is worth a try. I hope your GP can do it urgently but the pharmacy might take a while, give or take their novorapid stock. Fingers cross!