1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

As the saying goes.............A change is as good as a rest :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Slap a UK sticker on him and where would he be :(:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Yayyyyyy :happy:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

As long as she gave me the odd sisterly monetary donation, I wouldn't complain.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ummm, to use a very old fashioned phrase..... I should cocoa!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I'd send emergency nut roasts though!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not quite so simple though:
    A) Walkers are recycling crisp packs now
    B) some compatible plastics won’t break down in domestic compost, ruin the recycling system if they get in with the non-compost stream, and can sometimes break down unpredictable.
    C) making paper isn’t that environmentally friendly what with the bleach.
    People are working on it but some swaps aren’t always the best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ugh woke on a 2.8 at 6 am. Had to get up, been out early picking up litter and fixing signs, loads more to set up for our event this afternoon and I'm knackered already....hope I get a chance to visit both the tea and cake venues!

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. WuTwo

There's still an awful lot of plastic (of all types) that is left on the beaches after high tide has gone out a bit. I remember visiting one tiny cove that had been used for a bbq the night before - it was appallingly littered. I don't think they'd picked up a bleep thing! It was so sad; they'd chosen that cove because it is beautiful and left behind an eyesore :banghead::(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I only had one bag with me so couldn't really make a dent in the rubbish...:grumpy:

• Hug Hug x 3
  9. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I’m talking what’d ideally happen. It hasn’t yet. People still drop Walkers packets and lots of other plastics as litter, don’t want to post them to Walkers for recycling (there are only 2 places in the country where that kind of complex recycling can happen). I know of no compostable plastic that breaks down swiftly, but I was hoping that in an ideal world potato peelings etc would be more collected everywhere to create a starch based material like the wrappings already used on some products.
    I think the biggest hurdle’s getting companies like Nestle and Cadbury to make any changes that’d affect profits.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. WuTwo

Also, tinnies! Of all descriptions - soft drinks and booze. And plastic bottles, endless plastic water/coke bottles.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

For packaging it’s consumer behaviour that need changing mostly just now, PET bottles are recyclable and profitable. Tins too. So recycle rather than dispose.
    For medical use only certain polymers are approved again making it more complex. Not to mention potential biohazards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s like so many of today’s rubbish things, plastic throwaway stuff’s grown and grown and grown in the last fifty years and the now generation doesn’t know what life’s like without it.
    There was a group of parents and children crocodiling through the town yesterday with big revolutionary placards about walking to school - oh yeah, thought I, what’s new? Walking, or taking the bus to school was what we all did back in the day.
    I agree though, it’s a complex problem, and ensuring supplies arrive undamaged and uncontaminated will need some good packaging science.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WuTwo

Yeah - I always walked to school (but to be fair so did my son). And I remember my parents doing the weekly shop and taking proper shopping bags with them because there weren't plastic carriers. Now I have proper shopping bags! Jute or canvas, and they're great.

Both of us can think back to when we were little and remember phrases like "If you're cold, put a jumper on" and "waste not, want not) that were dinned endlessly into our unwilling ears. Now they turn out to be what we live by! What goes around comes around!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Have a pleasant Sunday afternoon and evening

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

What do you mean? We did win!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Phew! We dodged the ball of hosting the kitsch-fest and all it’s supporters, tv crews and divas next year.
    And I would rather be in the football World Cup semi final than not make it to the finals at all :)

Don’t take it personally. I am preparing my retort for my call with my Dutch colleagues first thing tomorrow.
    I am open to suggestions for changes.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I only found out we won because a neighbour came over and mentioned it. I excpect I won't notice much of the goings on next year, as I don't have a television and not sure where it will all happen but it definitely won't be near my house on the edge of the Dutch world :)

• Like Like x 7
  18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Oops apologies @Antje77 I forgot this was an international forum. Congratulations on last nights success

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  19. Robinredbreast

My daughter, SIL, older granddaughter and baby granddaughter have just left, just looking at the battle zone which is my front room, baby granddaughter likes to keep me active :hilarious: lol
    Oven is on and going to put the chicken in for roasting, as my daughter and her boyfriend will be here for Sunday dinner :) It's been a busy day, but a lovely one :joyful:

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. WuTwo

We spent the afternoon cooking, which was enormous fun and now have main course ingredients stashed in the fridge ready for the week ahead.

Even found time to have a bath afterwards!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook