1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all! Wedding anniversary today, so I have a nice bottle of Laphroaig to try and not drink in one go. Husbeast got up at the same time as me this morning which has completely thrown my morning regime, which I have down to a fine art! Teaching cookery and textiles again today, should be not too awful. Bloods level and steady overnight, so I seem to have made the switch to my other basal programme at the right time.

Hope you all have smooth sailing on the bg sea ❤️

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you, Oh Bank holiday? Well I just found out from you :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ho yuss! That means half term :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all - holiday!!!!!

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. WuTwo

So, we are going over to the somewhat alternative town near us (my favourite town by far) because I need new essential oils for the diffusers, and more made-in-front of my very eyes nut butter (gonna go for cashew this time, or maybe push the boat out and get brazil nut butter - costly but hey....)

Also they have, on the outskirts of town, a supermarket we seldom go to - Morrisons and I want to trawl that one for products that we don't get in Sainsbury's and Asda. Don't have a Tesco near me, and the one I could get to has no nice shops near it and I hate the Tesco itself - great towering stacks of goods lining narrow little aisles - I feel like a rat in a trap in there and refuse to go.

But Morrisons I hear good things of, even though I dislike their cheesey TV ads so I'll go there.

And - there are vegan cafes in town - I'm gonna have lunch out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MeiChanski

What does everyone have planned for today? the sun is showing itself now :)
    I've been pestering my bf to go out for a walk to get some fresh air and pick up my prescription today. He isn't buying into my junk food phase - you know some girls gotta have some kind of junk for this time of month.:hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. WuTwo

I was tremendously lucky with periods - I never had pain or anything. My best mate (a teacher) fainted a couple of times in front of her class, because of the pain she was in, but when we were in our early 20's it was 40 years ago and according to the (nearly all male) GP's there was no such thing a period pain so there was no need for any treatment :rolleyes:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. MeiChanski

My inner feminist is screaming, when I was a wee young teenager my mum had to beg the GP for prescription pain killers for my period pains. Apparently the standard hot water bottle and over the counter pain killers should work. I know other females with endometriosis would scream too if they were not offered any treatment.
    But now i'm a lot older, it's not too bad but I'm incredibly moody and all I would like right now is a mere bowl of fried chips with ketchup. I might take matters into my own hands and buy it without my bf, hehehe.

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. WuTwo

Oddly male GP's learned very little about specific female problems (and in all honesty it sounds as if things aren't that much better now). More evidence (were it needed) of the patriarchal society. And scarily America seems to be devolving into an almost medieval pattern of female subjugation - how long before we follow especially if we develop closer ties with the US because of our future trade requirements.

Incidentally meat munchers - beware US meat - the lack of hygiene in slaughter houses and processing plants is terrifying - and accepted because of the chlorine they wash the meat with as it apparently kills the bugs. Oh yeah .....

• Like Like x 1
  10. WuTwo

And on that chirpy note I'm away to la-la land (which is what I've heard my lovely neighbouring town called by the very conventional peeps round here). Personally I love it there. Gorgeous clothes, food, shops, very accepting way of thinking about others - what's not to love?

11. MeiChanski

Oh yes I've read about the US meat slaughter houses and washing the meat with chlorine. I feel it is still a scary time to be a woman in the western world. Alabama restricting or banning abortion has stirred up the pot. But on a better note, we'll watch the world crash and burn while sipping on iced coffee.
    Nice, enjoy it! I've been looking at holidays to South Korea or Japan because I've had this urge to study their language and learn about their culture. Oo and I love food. :hilarious:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone. G’sons in last day of school before a day off for tomorrow’s visit and an inset Friday - 11 days off for them so I’m having a lazier morning. A couple of part-time job things to do later but apart from that it’s a bit of housework here, mainly sweeping up dog hair and taking said dog, who’s lovely, for a short Hamish style walk.
    Happy wedding anniversary Mel and Husbeast
    Commiserations all menstruators. So so glad it’s now in the past, consolation prize for all the less good effects of getting older.
    And Robinredbreast, not good to nearly spit tea on a crowded train! Oh my, have fun!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary Mel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. porl69

Good morning.....
    Sat up the hospital seeing the respiratory Dr again....see what he has to say today
    Bloods really behaved last night....seems my tweeking worked

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, hope everyone's well. Poland was magic but Madam BG was not impressed by the beer, bread and all things tasty. some seriously high numbers which had to be pricked into submission. Put on 1.3k!! I recommend Gdansk

• Like Like x 7
  16. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Morning ... no "Good Morning"
    Last night I sussed carbonara - my BG didn't venture above 6 from the time I ate (about 8pm) until now. Sucks to anyone who says people with diabetes shouldn't eat pasta or pizza. OK, I know not everyone is lucky enough to be able to manage high carby meals but we are all different and putting a blanket ban on scrumptiousness is not necessary.
    Periods - yep, painful. When I was a teenager, I was told I would grow out of it. When I was hospitalised in my 40s, I was told it was a one off. When I was hospitalised again a few years later, I was told it was nothing to worry about. A couple of years ago, I was finally referred to a gynaecologist who said he was surprised I wasn't suffering more. I had an op six weeks later (went private because my company paid for BUPA and the NHS couldn't give me a date) and never looked back.
    @Knikki, hope you sort your highs out.
    @WuTwo Morrissons have a "National Vegetarian Event" on at the moment. I am not sure what that really means but they were advertising it at the freezer cabinets in my local store. So you may find something yummy there. Enjoy your holiday, vegan cafes (I assume by mentioning them in plural you intend to visit them in plural), nut butter and more.
    @MeiChanski enjoy the up coming end of term.
    Everyone else, enjoy the sun.

... Add on ... @Cumberland I hope Wispa is doing well. I realised she didn't feature in our doggie chat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. MeiChanski

I'm not a morning person so it'll always be morning from me, I'm much happier and talkative after breakfast. :hilarious: I have yet to try carbonara :) Please tell me who said diabetics shouldn't eat pizza or pasta? I'll happily eat it in front of them. I'm sorry to hear about your time with periods and such an awful experience to get help. Thank you, you too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good call @Knikki! I think @Jazz said she was going home, and like you hoping she’s ok!
    Hi there Jazz, how are you?

• Like Like x 1
  19. porl69

Well my chest is down to my african grey parrot.....anyone want to but an african grey??

@Knikki thats a good idea on Kevs post....

• Hug Hug x 5
  20. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no, poor parrot. How old is it?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook