Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Could I please ask for everyone's input on me doing another carb counting course - While I like the idea about personalised carb ratios and correction ratios, I feel it is disregarding that fact I did DAFNE and I know my diabetes team wants to help me. It's a 3 month wait 1 lesson per week for 4 weeks from 9:30-15:30. The nurse did say she'd push for it sooner but I doubt it because everything is a long waiting list. I do find a bit awkward because I did have a discussion about pump therapy with my consultant and he took note that I did DAFNE. But the nurse said you'll have to do this course and wait 6 months to see any improvement and then if things don't improve the consultant will approve funding for a pump. (Things did slightly improve on DAFNE and it's been 7 months since I did it)
By then I would have seen my consultant and maybe then it'll be another discussion. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn and meet other folks who are in this area and make some friends. But the time lapse is overlapping with whatever my consultant has planned. Any carb counting course is not a waste of time, I always find it interesting and helpful and I would accept all the help I can get to improve my control.
I guess I was hopeful to have a better or slightly more improved control before I head off to university this September. If I did another carb counting course, wait 6 months and taking into account my hospital visits, it'll be more or so next year. I'm quite desperate at the moment and I know Rome wasn't built in a day. but university isn't waiting for me to get better, I have to get better. It would be worth it if I was not struggling for time.
I’d jump through whatever hoops needed to get a pump, personally - it’s made such a difference to my diabetes!

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d jump through whatever hoops needed to get a pump, personally - it’s made such a difference to my diabetes!

I would too. It’s a bit of conflicting information- because consultant hasn’t mentioned doing another course but try and regain control through MDI and all the stuff he has prescribed before considering a pump. But nurse is like you need to do this course anyway if you are thinking about a pump. I wish there was more communication between the two

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning friends,
After my hypo I shot up to 18.0 (for hypo I had 200ml-250ml of coke and a strawberry jam sandwich) - I was at 2.6 after 15 mins so I was nibbling away at my sandwich, then it went to 6.6, then 9.5. So I thought okay it might not to too bad, but uh oh 18.0.
The dsn said I should just leave it as it is and I know no corrections for hypos and the treats to reduce the rebound effect. but 18.0 is a bit high? my naughty self corrected and it's now 11.3, so I didn't sleep after that party. I'll have breakfast and might go back to bed. I hope everyone has a splendid day. :)

Do you know how many mmol 10g carb raise you? If you can work that out, then you can make a little chart showing how much food you need to treat a 1.8 and get it to wherever you want to me.

Write down some food values beside your little chart, so that you know if you need to go up 6 mmol you should eat however many carbs, and therefore should eat 3 oreos (or whatever).

Works for me, and it made a huge difference.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And there is more anger around. People get angry about things that years ago would just have been taken in stride, as on

Do you know how many mmol 10g carb raise you? If you can work that out, then you can make a little chart showing how much food you need to treat a 1.8 and get it to wherever you want to me.

Write down some food values beside your little chart, so that you know if you need to go up 6 mmol you should eat however many carbs, and therefore should eat 3 oreos (or whatever).

That approach works for me too, I know that one 3g dextrose tab raises me by 0.6mmol - so I calculate a dose for a hypo the same as I do for a high. Also, they’re not very nice, so I’m less likely to over treat!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning all - @SueJB - I hope you get a seat and the day goes well for you!

My husband is moving our books upstairs so that I can help him shift the staircases out of the way. Then the old sofa and chair can get out, and the new suite can get in.

I'm making vegan chocolate brownies later, and I want to make coconut garlic creamy mushrooms to go with diner.

Reactions: MeiChanski

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

That approach works for me too, I know that one 3g dextrose tab raises me by 0.6mmol - so I calculate a dose for a hypo the same as I do for a high. Also, they’re not very nice, so I’m less likely to over treat!

I edited to get rid of the weird half sentence at the top of my quote, which I don't know where it came from.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps. Steady night here, just driving into the mountains for the zippy thing at six - there’s a loads of stuff going on throughout the day first. Bit of a festival. Have a good one!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Mel dCP And you! Stay safe and have fun - send pics!!!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello, yes around 2 levels for me. 250ml of coke is around 3CPs that would have raised me to around 6.5, which it did. Unfortunately continued to rise when I followed up with a sandwich. I didn’t have anything less than a sandwich, I would have picked oreos. Would it have been against DAFNE rules to stop at coke and not followed up with a sandwich?
I was hangry, so I did eat it with frustration. I wasn’t sure to inject for the sandwich, which I didn’t and ended up at 18.0

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hello, yes around 2 levels for me. 250ml of coke is around 3CPs that would have raised me to around 6.5, which it did. Unfortunately continued to rise when I followed up with a sandwich. I didn’t have anything less than a sandwich, I would have picked oreos.

I'd probably have gone with the coke, and then had a half slice of bread with Flora Buttery (keeps the carbs nice and slow)

If it was me I'd think I'd put Glucotabs on the urgent shopping list, or Dextrose tabs - vegan and revolting, so you won't want more than you have to have. I buy the tubs and just refill the tubes. They aren't nice, so no-one treats them as sweets and they just stay there until you need them.

If I buy anything nice, I know I'll eat more than I need ..... if Oreos are there all lonely in the packet, who am I to stop them going and being with their little crunched up friends?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was me I'd think I'd put Glucotabs on the urgent shopping list, or Dextrose tabs - vegan and revolting, so you won't want more than you have to have. I buy the tubs and just refill the tubes. They aren't nice, so no-one treats them as sweets and they just stay there until you need them.

I’m trembling as I’m reading your response I know those tablets are absolutely horrible to eat. Sugar water isn’t any better but it works in desperate times. Which one do you prefer? Or are they just as bad as each other?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I buy anything nice, I know I'll eat more than I need ..... if Oreos are there all lonely in the packet, who am I to stop them going and being with their little crunched up friends?

True, just one more and before you know it, you’ve ate 900kcal in oreos

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP have a good one and yep, pics please!

@MeiChanski I'm with @WuTwo and Mel on this one - find out how much x amount of fast-acting carb raises you by. I've mentioned before that when I'm treating a hypo, according to the level I start at I take x amount of jelly babies, sit on my hands for 15 mins, test, if I'm where I want to be I only eat slower acting carbs if I'm about to do something physical, so I definitely wouldn't have been munching a jam sandwich. Also if you eat something with slow acting carbs, or fat, you'll slow down the action of any additional fast acting carbs you need to take. If my first jelly babies haven't done the trick and I'm not back up enough, x more jelly babies, another 15 mins, another test and so on.

I get symptoms close to a bg of 4; I think you may have mentioned that your hypo awareness has fallen off. If that's right, I can see why you were hoping for cgm with alarms as opposed to Libre. If that's the case, I'd say you really need to make that clear to your diabetes team, maybe have that conversation with the nurse.

It's also worth working on measuring what different foods do in terms of spikes, as you seem to yo-yo a lot which is hard to control. And looking fore patterns can help; for instance I developed a pattern of often being high after lunch and worked out that I was eating something that had an effect I hadn't allowed for .

Hope that helps

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Do you buy glucotabs in single individual tubes or in bulk?

My husband bought the last lot in bulk of Ebay, but normally he gets a few tubs and I refill the tubes. That way I have one in my desk drawer at work, my bedside table, handbag, diabetes kit, car glove compartment - everywhere has a tube just in case ....

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I’m trembling as I’m reading your response I know those tablets are absolutely horrible to eat. Sugar water isn’t any better but it works in desperate times. Which one do you prefer? Or are they just as bad as each other?

The blackcurrant aren't too ghastly. The orange are sent by the devil as a form of torture for hypo diabetics.....

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP have a good one and yep, pics please!

@MeiChanski I'm with @WuTwo and Mel on this one - find out how much x amount of fast-acting carb raises you by. I've mentioned before that when I'm treating a hypo, according to the level I start at I take x amount of jelly babies, sit on my hands for 15 mins, test, if I'm where I want to be I only eat slower acting carbs if I'm about to do something physical, so I definitely wouldn't have been munching a jam sandwich. Also if you eat something with slow acting carbs, or fat, you'll slow down the action of any additional fast acting carbs you need to take. If my first jelly babies haven't done the trick and I'm not back up enough, x more jelly babies, another 15 mins, another test and so on.

I get symptoms close to a bg of 4; I think you may have mentioned that your hypo awareness has fallen off. If that's right, I can see why you were hoping for cgm with alarms as opposed to Libre. If that's the case, I'd say you really need to make that clear to your diabetes team, maybe have that conversation with the nurse.

It's also worth working on measuring what different foods do in terms of spikes, as you seem to yo-yo a lot which is hard to control. And looking fore patterns can help; for instance I developed a pattern of often being high after lunch and worked out that I was eating something that had an effect I hadn't allowed for .

Hope that helps

Thank you so much. I think the sandwich was a bit much with jam, I’ll try something else. I did mention it to my consultant and dsn. Dsn said cgm is much more difficult to get funding approved due to cost. I also will have to give up my provisional license. I haven’t touched a car or had lessons because I’m too scared about my control, but it’s a nice form of identification. Consultant said libre might help, but it’s to an extent since hypos are happening during my sleep and not when I’m walking around. He is hopeful my awareness will come back if I run a tas higher for a longer period of time. I agree I am yoyoing a bit too much with food spikes and hypo treatments on top of corrections and high bg. So far rice and eggs are doing a number on me. Which I have noted to do a different ratio for rice and eggs.

Reactions: hh1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all on a very Sunday Saturday, awoke on a high, feeling so sick and want to sleep, had 4 correction units of Insulin, which is such a lot for me, so I will keep checking.
Hope you all enjoy your weekend:)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all from my pit of germs, but more normal blood sugars, Hooray for that latter one.

@WuTwo - I'm very worried. You moved all the books, now you're moving staircases...

@SueJB - Have a great time at the NEC - I'll wave from the far side of the city.

@Mel dCP - Lots and lots of luck for today.

@MeiChanski - I had it drilled into me on Insulin Day 1 I had to follow up fast acting carbs with some slow - (I'm still waiting for a DAFNE course...) which after much trial and error I've realised I really don't have to do if I want to avoid the rollercoaster. It's just been nigh on impossible training my hypo-brain to stop yelling for all the carbs NOW. But, it's slowly accepting my rational brain might just have a clue about what it's doing, occasionally.