1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just leave the zucchini to grow big and fat, really big and fat, and you’ve got a marrow. This one’s just a little bit bigger than most
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...ECAwQAQ&biw=1024&bih=698#imgrc=M6FuvdVffTP0cM

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use my thighs a lot, or my tummy and whilst I could lick my thighs I don't think I can manage to lick my tummy! However, I've survived and although I bruise I don't infect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think this is exactly the right thing to do with the marrow. Don't eat it, just post pictures of yourself on Instagram, or something, holding it. Then try and grow a bigger one. They could maybe be hollowed out, dried, and painted gold, as decorations.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just inject the *** ( n is missing for mod purposes :)) stuff. I’ve never considered taking any sterilising precautions in 28yrs of injecting. That includes injecting whilst working ( builders merchants, print factory) , training at gym and everywhere and anywhere else.

mod edit: And you still didn't get away with it ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    #18764 therower, Jul 23, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
  5. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well daughter came home last night, she's had a fab long weekend and wouldn't stop talking all about it :joyful:, not great at 11 o'clock last night when she has to go to school today - I think one of the last schools to break up in our area.

4.4 before bed, 4.4 this morning :p (although I did have 3 glucotabs at 5am!) and was up early to take the dog for a walk before it got too hot - it was a lovely early morning walk in the mist which had pretty much well burnt off by the time we got home.

My thoughts about bugs and our (well ok mine) immune system is that it's over zealous (hence the T1) and therefore I deal with the bugs a lot better than T0s - seems theres a few of us that follow that principle!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have dried drops of blood on almost everything they own from finger pricking? I have a fabric phone cover - you could get my DNA from that thing without really trying! And my diabetes bag, my nightie, my hankies ...... and I do slurp the offending finger after doing the reading. I'm just a really heavy bleeder.

I have the finger pricker on 0.5 setting - the very lightest possible. I use an Accu-Chek Softclix Plus - anyone got one even softer?

7. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion with the courgette / marrow.....I’m growing them too and often end up with more than we can eat so if I end up with a glut of them I cook them down in my slow cooker and then freeze in small trays.....very useful as a base mixture when I cook winter soups.....just add to the pot (frozen) with other vegetables and makes for a tasty vegetable soup :)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Morning chaps, bit of an early start for school holidays - must have slept enough yesterday. Rough night with my knee, getting bored with that now. Woke up on a 6.2, so happy enough with that.

@Delticmatt100 I use alcohol wipes when I put a new pod on, but that’s only because it’s an open hole for three days at a time, and is a bit bigger than a needle hole at around 0.7mm - I never used them for injections or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LooperCat

It does, by up to 0.5mmol - plus it can thicken and harden the skin after prolonged use. Not to mention it can really sting if it’s not dried off! In the ambo service, we use water - either a pad with a splash of tap water to clean the skin, or we carry little vials or sterile water in the BG test kits. I do have a little pack of “diawipes” in my kit, but I only use those if my hands are dirty/sticky and I don’t have anything to wash them with.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

11. LooperCat

Avocado growing is pretty horrendous on the environment - it takes a lot of water to grow one. Spanish ones aren’t so bad, but those they grow in the drier parts of the US are causing real issues. So if there’s a passable substitute that maybe doesn’t have so much impact...

• Like Like x 1
  12. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No one has said so to me. I clean off my arm with the disinfectant wipes before attaching a CGM, but that's just so the skin is clean enough for the glue to stick and stay on for the full two weeks, rather than being concerned about germs. I'm going to follow Knikki's lead :) and not use them, as it's just one fewer thing to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I have an avocado plant growing in my greenhouse at the moment....is about three foot tall grown from an avocado stone that germinated in my compost heap....not sure if it will ever bear fruit and probably won’t survive outside but pleased it has got so far:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just realised that I only inject 1/10 of a mL of insulin a day in total. That's nothing. My injections are 1/100 of a mL for 1 unit of insulin. Wow. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, like I've been thinking it is. I've also discovered injecting into my lower back (on the sides) is pain-free. My stomach and legs are too skinny and hurt. So, today, I'm visualising as a type 1, I just scratch my back 8 times a day with 1/100 of a mL of insulin. And it's no biggie.

• Like Like x 2
  15. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Delticmatt100 I never use alcohol wipes before I inject. Like others here, been doing that for over 30 years and never even think about it; don't want to create more unnecessary waste either. I do use them before I stick on a Libre as I have trouble keeping them stuck on, so I want to be sure the area's as grease-free as poss.

On the marrow debate - I like courgettes, spiralized, griddled, sauteed, or grated and rendered down with butter & garlic. Marrows are too wet for any of those treatments (and too big to fit in most spiralizers) and in my opinion fundamentally tasteless. I think the best way to use them is as additional compost :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. LooperCat

Hmmmmm. Not eaten yet today and still had a spike mid morning. Might need to adjust basal if it happens tomorrow. Planning a nice quiet day avoiding the sun and possibly doing some laundry - knee still extremely painful, which is getting boring now.

Marrows. I have horrendous memories of my mum stuffing them with grey, bland mince and the results swimming across the plate... :yuck:

• Hug Hug x 3
  17. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I love avocados! I eventually will plant one or two of my own in the back yard, we get lots of rain. Tropics! We supposedly grow over 200 different varieties of avocados on our islands. They grow all year round here of one variety or more. I'm in heaven!

Marrows aren't moving to the top of what to try lol.................

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Only smears of it on the back of my left hand. I don't wash before testing but wipe off the first drop on my other hand, test, lick drop from finger, forget to lick the smear on my other hand half the time. I must be lucky with quickly closing wounds.

19. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

For everyone who had their fingers crossed I'd survive the tofu that had been left to marinate for 3 or 4 days, it still smelled, looked and tasted right yesterday and I made a very yummy Indonesian like meal with it :)
    I also put in nori seaweed, which isn't in any exisisting recipes I suppose, but I read @WuTwo puts seaweed in her dishes sometimes so I thought to try :). I now know I love seaweed in my food! (and will probably put it in all sorts of inappropriate dishes for a while, as I'm like that when I discover something new :banghead:)[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  20. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not used them in over 40 years! My dad used to "obtain" them from work BUT they stung like crazy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook