Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When I was diagnosed in 1998 I had blood strips that you judged by colour change, but the pricker was pretty much the same as what I use now. Pens had only just been introduced, but as they were so new, I had to buy my own needles - and as a student, and £20 a box, that’s how I got into the habit of never changing them to make them last longer. I started on a twice daily pig insulin.

Anyway. Morning. Not much to report, not on the diabetes front, at least. Had to change my Libre early as it’s flaky in the extreme, was reading 5mmol low yesterday, so I’ve been running artificially high overnight. Still, good for maintaining hypo awareness, I suppose!

Knee still problematic in the extreme, I’ve got an appointment with the GP surgery physio this afternoon, I did a self referral. I suppose I shouldn’t take any more painkillers today, so that the physio can see just how much pain I’m in and what movements cause it. Hey ho.

Hope you all have a good one ❤️

Take care Mel

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was going to ask if there were any other flavours @Robinredbreast but won't

For the rare few, very rare, who had bad reactions to the animal insulins a human flavoured one was developed but I seem to remember there were problems with it. I don’t think it came from real humans.
My earliest basal was zinc flavoured, anyone else had that?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello frens, I was quite low this morning before my appointment. 3.2, but I was 8.3 at my appointment. :)
I had an appointment with my dsn today. She agreed that I’m doing very well on the libre. I’m not over treating hypos and having to correct or over correcting for highs resulting in a hypo. She said after the 6 months and if I continue to do well, the consultant will continue prescribing the libre. They have to give everyone the 6 month period for the libre. I can’t believe she told me there are patients who scan the libre once or twice. :eek:

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to add that my DSN said libre 2 will be available some time next year. But the whole criteria on who gets it is still in question, like if patients already on the libre will possibly get an upgrade and patients starting out on the libre will get the first version or those with hypo unawareness will be more likely to get it or libre 2 will be the same criteria and be available to all depending on CCG. Tbh it all sounds very exciting and we'll have to wait and see. I think it'll be a good alternative to the price of the Dexcom and we all know that is very difficult to get on the NHS.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki . Great history lesson. Maybe something along those lines should be made into a sticky. T1 diabetes down the ages.
May change some attitudes regarding dealing and surviving with our condition.
Loved those urine strips. It was the only time I could get away with peeing on the floor, toilet seat and cistern.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

@Robinredbreast . Apologies but my slightly warped sense of humour, I had an image of a “ midwife with metal biceps “ delivering your son:woot::woot::woot:.

Flying solo at the moment ( no CGM ) registered a 7, 6.4, 5.6 and a 10.9 ( post workout) so in my book that’s a pretty good day.:)

Reactions: slip and LooperCat

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
That was a hellishly busy straight eight hours without an actual break. The guys brought me several hot drinks, none of which I managed to drink while they were hot - they were just gulped down once they'd gone cold. But - and this is the good bit - everything got done that was meant to be! And I got payroll set up to go through on auto at the bank tomorrow. All in all, a brilliant if cream crackering day!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Knikki . Great history lesson. Maybe something along those lines should be made into a sticky. T1 diabetes down the ages.
May change some attitudes regarding dealing and surviving with our condition.
Loved those urine strips. It was the only time I could get away with peeing on the floor, toilet seat and cistern.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

@Robinredbreast . Apologies but my slightly warped sense of humour, I had an image of a “ midwife with metal biceps “ delivering your son:woot::woot::woot:.

Flying solo at the moment ( no CGM ) registered a 7, 6.4, 5.6 and a 10.9 ( post workout) so in my book that’s a pretty good day.:)

Lol I don't remember who it was, as there were more than one on delivery duty, but I remember those forceps :inpain::wideyed:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
36 minutes bus journey to the City Centre this morning - 1 hour and 40 minutes home this evening! Most of it stuck on a section I could've walked in 10 minutes, + I would have beaten the bus back had I got off and walked. But it was raining, so I didn't.

Brain now gone on strike so take self off for an early night!

Blood sugars remarkably well behaved. Perhaps it's the relief that I am not going to lose all the next four weeks or more to the fulfillment of my civic duty and may even get a couple of days off from it this week.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I forgot to add that my DSN said libre 2 will be available some time next year.

I recall reading that the NHS negotiated price, £35, will be the same, so it won't be regarded as an upgrade.

There's been a few posts from folks in Germany, where it's already available, and what seems to have happened there was that libre1 basically disappeared and everyone got libre2 instead, whether they wanted it or not.

Whether it pans out the same way in the UK, who knows.

xDrip+ and Spike users have been getting a bit antsy about the change, because we don't want to lose the functionality of those apps.

The #wearenotwaiting folks have been all over this, and @tim2000s has written about it here:

https://www.diabettech.com/wearenotwaiting/patching-librelink-for-libre2-clearing-the-fud/

There's still uncertainty about it, but I suspect with some thoughtful attention to crisp selection, it will work out ok...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My neighbour Douwe came over for a couple of nightcaps and conversation. The conversation moved in all directions but it ended in him asking if I could accompany hime back home, as the combination of one shorter leg (accident 10 years ago), nightcap plus whatever he had before he came here, very dark rural area and no sensation is his left foot due to chemotherapy for lung cancer last year makes him prone to falls.

He's seeing someone in the hospital for his feet due to a skin condition regularly. He's having regular after care for the cancer (in remission). He's seeing a physiotherapist for pains and aches due to age and the shorter leg. He's seeing his GP regularly for whatever ails him, as he got more careful after the cancer scare. He sees a special shoemaker twice a year because of his shorter leg.

And before now, no-one has told him to inspect his numb foot daily in case he has an unnoticed injury. I explained quite clear how he wouldn't notice a pebble in his shoe or a folded sock, how that could lead to a still unnoticed infection and how that is how people lose their feet.
He looked at me somewhat incomprehending so I explained how your eyes have to do the work of the nerves in your feet when those nerves won't tell you something's up or how bad it is.
It was pretty shocking to him when he understood.

I can't believe none of those HCP's have told him the risks and precautions that come with neuropathy. Even after him asking about the loss of sensation. They only told him it's an unfortunate side effect of the chemotherapy, and it might get better or it might not.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have I posted this? Can’t remember. Painkillers fuddling my brain. Anyway. Physio was useful. I’ve strained the medial collateral ligament, as I thought (I knew which it was, just not the name) but not done any serious damage. I have a couple of bending and leg lifting exercises to do morning and night, and I’m going back in two weeks to see how it goes. He thinks it should be fine well before September, thankfully.

New Libre rig reading a bit low, was running happily in the sixes all evening only to blood test for a bedtime calibration and get 8.8 :mad::banghead: Hey ho. I’m sure Elvis will bring me down gradually. Must. Not. Put. My. Rage. Blouse. On.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have I posted this? Can’t remember. Painkillers fuddling my brain. Anyway. Physio was useful. I’ve strained the medial collateral ligament, as I thought (I knew which it was, just not the name) but not done any serious damage. I have a couple of bending and leg lifting exercises to do morning and night, and I’m going back in two weeks to see how it goes. He thinks it should be fine well before September, thankfully.

New Libre rig reading a bit low, was running happily in the sixes all evening only to blood test for a bedtime calibration and get 8.8 :mad::banghead: Hey ho. I’m sure Elvis will bring me down gradually. Must. Not. Put. My. Rage. Blouse. On.

Bad though it is that your knee hurts, it's good news that it should be fine before September.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve strained the medial collateral ligament, as I thought (I knew which it was, just not the name) but not done any serious damage

Ouch, Mel, try ripping it, that's much less fun, although in my case, I think it was the anterior cruciate ligament.

Many years ago, I was ski-ing on the dry ski slope at Hillend, a maintenance truck pulled out in front of me, fell over trying to avoid going under it's wheels, hobbled off thinking, ouch, knee's a bit sore, woke up several hours later in absolute agony, like a hot knife through my knee, went to the GP, he said, "see how I can bend your leg 30 degrees out of normal, that means your acl is ripped, go to the hospital now."

As I'm sure you know, Celts always help each other, so the cashroom girls, Carol and Lyndsay, really cheered me up by pointing out it was quite funny that I'd left the office that morning moaning a bit about a sore knee, and come back with a plaster cast..

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Was that your intention?
I would give you a hug if you wanted crisps and I would give you a winner if you planned to eat no crisps.
Lol, @helensaramay. The thought just came to me in the same way as, "I haven't watered the tomatoes today", "I haven't done any spinning for a while" All true.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ouch, Mel, try ripping it, that's much less fun, although in my case, I think it was the anterior cruciate ligament.

Many years ago, I was ski-ing on the dry ski slope at Hillend, a maintenance truck pulled out in front of me, fell over trying to avoid going under it's wheels, hobbled off thinking, ouch, knee's a bit sore, woke up several hours later in absolute agony, like a hot knife through my knee, went to the GP, he said, "see how I can bend your leg 30 degrees out of normal, that means your acl is ripped, go to the hospital now."

As I'm sure you know, Celts always help each other, so the cashroom girls, Carol and Lyndsay, really cheered me up by pointing out it was quite funny that I'd left the office that morning moaning a bit about a sore knee, and come back with a plaster cast..
Think I’ll just not try ripping it after all... I was just glad it wasn’t the ACL, that’s a nasty one.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning all and wishing you all a Happy Wednesday.
I had curry last night with broccoli rice, I was over keen on the 'rice' but my veggie curry went down well, but had a 3.4 hypo last night, so treated it and awoke on 7.1 with a nice steady slow rise during the night :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, changed sensor last night, which is a necessary but annoying process. New one still a bit erratic, but starting to show some consistency. Woke up with blood sugar somewhere in the region of 5.6, which will do fine, though consecutive readings with my new sensor said it was somewhere between 4.4 and 6.7, which I suppose averages out.

It'll settle down soon enough. Going to visit the local hospital today, because I got a letter to go see Fraser Gibbs, well I won't actually see him, but he's the consultant for the clinic, this afternoon, whereas usually it's someone whose name I can't remember. I last went in December, so I'm not sure why I'm going, but I assume it's something Libre related, as he plays the lead role on it.

Not much else going on. I decided to split my bolus insulin, officially, or in my head officially, as I'd sort of been doing it a bit for a while unintentionally, but I'm turning it into an official decision. It's because though I usually only use 4 or 5 for a meal, now that I pre-bolus and then wait, I find my blood sugar hovers around whatever it was when I injected, then slowly starts to decrease, then without a word of warning drops to the low 4s, and I find this a problem if I've taken 5, this chasing a rapidly dropping blood sugar is the main creator of problems at the moment, because I end up with a zigzag effect. I'll see how that goes, been trying it for a couple of days, and it seems to be ok. The other problem is not being able to pre-bolus, because my blood sugar is in the low 4s and I know if I inject 5 units it'll go crazy low too fast, so I end up eating first then injecting, whereas splitting the does just makes it all more manageable.

Hope everyone has a good day.