Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning diabuddies and wishing you all a Happy Tuesday

I have food shopping to do today, local weather says rain and quite a lot at times, typical, worked yesterday, beautiful weather, off today and possible rubbish weather, oh well, looks like plenty of book reading then :happy::bookworm:

Reactions: karen8967 and SueJB

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, dull, muggy with possible showers today.

BGs have been good! what was it yesterday morning? 5.4? ended the day on 5.7 (in between may have been slightly different!:rolleyes:) woke this morning on 5.6 - can I keep it in bounds the rest of the day?..............:nailbiting:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
5.6 here. I missed the rain, just got the first flecks, at the end of the dog walk. I have a running machine outside in a garden summerhouse, so I'm all good to go. Being Australian, I dissolve in the rain.

Have a good day everybody.

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A little trip down memory lane :)

Back in the day when testing how much glucose was in your system it was literally bucket chemistry:

nqrale.jpg

5 drop of urine with 10 drops of water add in tablet of magic and wait for it to turn a colour. Accuracy oooooo you'd be lucky at 4 hours but more like 6 that was most of the 70's and into the 80's.

Then things improved where you had to weeeee onto a stick

2zid6h3.jpg

Great unless you were drunk or hypo or really didn't want to go. :bored:

Something similar came along later which used blood, least that was a bit quicker but still find the colour on the side of the tube, try doing that late at night :couchpotato:

Then the early blood test meters started to turn up sort of late 90's an yes they had finger prickers something like this

e8wbuq.jpg

These were great, certainly got blood out your finger plus it is the only thing I know of, other than a long bow, to go through and inch of oak :arghh:. Only used it twice and then used to ram the pricker needle in by hand which was easier and as for a needle, :shifty: more like a nail nothing compared to the these days.

So image dealing with the above to monitor your sugars and hold your sh** together, no" ooooooo ive gone up 00.5of a mmol after eating two bits of rice should I call emergency" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: get back in the bin :hilarious:

It might explain my sometimes :meh: attitude towards T1 and why bouncing around between 4-10 don't bother me to much.

Then again in 20 years time we will all be sitting here going "Remember that Libre", "oh yes, how primitive";):):hilarious:
Great history lesson, thanks @Knikki.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I was diagnosed in 1998 I had blood strips that you judged by colour change, but the pricker was pretty much the same as what I use now. Pens had only just been introduced, but as they were so new, I had to buy my own needles - and as a student, and £20 a box, that’s how I got into the habit of never changing them to make them last longer. I started on a twice daily pig insulin.

Anyway. Morning. Not much to report, not on the diabetes front, at least. Had to change my Libre early as it’s flaky in the extreme, was reading 5mmol low yesterday, so I’ve been running artificially high overnight. Still, good for maintaining hypo awareness, I suppose!

Knee still problematic in the extreme, I’ve got an appointment with the GP surgery physio this afternoon, I did a self referral. I suppose I shouldn’t take any more painkillers today, so that the physio can see just how much pain I’m in and what movements cause it. Hey ho.

Hope you all have a good one ❤️

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
In 20 years, there will be a cure :)
Hehehe been promised that since I was 5 years old :hilarious::hilarious:...no money in a cure

Back in the day when testing how much glucose was in your system it was literally bucket chemistry:

nqrale.jpg

5 drop of urine with 10 drops of water add in tablet of magic and wait for it to turn a colour. Accuracy oooooo you'd be lucky at 4 hours but more like 6 that was most of the 70's and into the 80's.

2zid6h3.jpg

Something similar came along later which used blood, least that was a bit quicker but still find the colour on the side of the tube, try doing that late at night :couchpotato:

Then the early blood test meters started to turn up sort of late 90's an yes they had finger prickers something like this

e8wbuq.jpg

These were great, certainly got blood out your finger plus it is the only thing I know of, other than a long bow, to go through and inch of oak :arghh:. Only used it twice and then used to ram the pricker needle in by hand which was easier and as for a needle, :shifty: more like a nail nothing compared to the these days.

So image dealing with the above to monitor your sugars and hold your sh** together, no" ooooooo ive gone up 00.5of a mmol after eating two bits of rice should I call emergency" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: get back in the bin :hilarious:

It might explain my sometimes :meh: attitude towards T1 and why bouncing around between 4-10 don't bother me to much.

Then again in 20 years time we will all be sitting here going "Remember that Libre", "oh yes, how primitive";):):hilarious:
The dreaded guillotine, I hated that machine sooooo much. Thought it would come thru the other side of your finger. That button took a lot of pressing......
What about the Palmer gun of absolute terror.....
Palmer.png

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Libre is an amazing piece of kit along with the MM its even better. I have had no MM for just over 2 weeks now and didn't think I would miss it much......oh how wrong! And to think we had to test our urine with an explosive tablet not so long back.........how did we survive? :dead::dead::happy::happy:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Libre is an amazing piece of kit along with the MM its even better. I have had no MM for just over 2 weeks now and didn't think I would miss it much......oh how wrong! And to think we had to test our urine with an explosive tablet not so long back.........how did we survive? :dead::dead::happy::happy:
I’ve got enough saved from my referral fees to buy a spare, but can’t decide whether to buy it now or wait for the new one...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

nqrale.jpg

2zid6h3.jpg

e8wbuq.jpg

A fantastic post, so many happy memories for me, weeing on a stick then trying to match the colour chart ( sounds a bit like re-decorating lol, but not weeing in the decortaing aisle o_O:D) and those lancets too, it was a catapult and boy did it hurt at times, but, at least we had something to test our BG's with, scary to begin with, but I do have a smile on my face :)
A Top Banana award for you :)

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hehehe been promised that since I was 5 years old :hilarious::hilarious:...no money in a cure

The dreaded guillotine, I hated that machine sooooo much. Thought it would come thru the other side of your finger. That button took a lot of pressing......
What about the Palmer gun of absolute terror.....View attachment 34574

Never used one of those, but when I had my first child I had to have metal forceps inserted to get him out, he was only
6 lb 4 oz's too, ouch..................... ( hope this hasn't put you off of your lunch :angelic::hilarious::hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Going to make some lunch now with a cuppa too and will look through some dvd's and then watch a film on a rainy afternoon.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I’ve got enough saved from my referral fees to buy a spare, but can’t decide whether to buy it now or wait for the new one...

Just seen a post on their FB page that it is out now BUT its not on the website!! AND there has been a price cut on the MM1. And I keep forgetting about the referral DOH!!!!!!!

Last edited: