Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
All sounds very exciting @Jaylee does that mean we can download your tunes anytime soon ?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I learnt later in my diabetes life than I should have learnt that I too wasn't enough of a problem to get offered anything different. So I asked ... nothing aggressive or pushy just something along the lines of "Given I have found my BG management better with split bolus, I wondered if it was worthwhile looking at a pump. I've been doing a bit of reading about pumps and think the finer dosing, combo dosing and variable basal could really help me." The first few times I asked for things I got pushed back but after a while they got used to me asking and started to listen. I think it helped that I wasn't demanding and I was clearly willing to put in the effort.
Until about 5 years ago (ten years after being diagnosed), I thought the value of my annual diabetes review was to get the results of my blood test results. Then I started asking a few questions and the consultant engaged more with me, found out what I do with my life (e.g. a lot of exercise) and started coming up with ways to make things easier. Four years ago I went on the first DAFNE course (more than 10 years after my diagnosis ... because I had fallen through the cracks) and went to a pump introduction session. A couple of months later I had my own pump.
I guess it shouldn't be surprising that engaging with the diabetes team more made me more interested in diabetes and it has all helped me out. My Hb1AC hasn't changed much but it has remained not bad with less highs and lows.

Sorry .. I ended up talking about myself when all I meant to do was suggest you could ask.

You didn't end up talking to yourself, what you say is very interesting, especially because your reasoning on why you felt you needed a pump, is quite close to what my arguments would be too.

Reactions: porl69

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep - I'd like to try Libre but even if I decided I could afford it until I retire, once I've retired I won't be able to so then I'd be stuffed anyway. And I'd have learned to love it, I expect. I'll have to ponder. (Such a heavy, serious sort of word; it makes me smile :joyful:)

Are you in England @WuTwo ? the new guidelines from NHS England are supposed to make getting Libre much less of a postcode lottery, I've seen on Twitter that a fair number of CCGs are taking their time to get up to speed, but if you fit the criteria you should be able to get Libre on the NHS.

I'm lucky that I'm in Edinburgh, and they made a decision early on to offer it quite widely, but England is now being forced to slowly catch up.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yep - England based. I could give it a go, next time I have an appointment :)

My day's work is done - I have seitan steaks fresh made and marinading in a sweet'n smoky sauce (my favourite), and the butter cauli curry is cooking. Place smells like an Indian takeaway and the sauce tastes amazing. First time I've tried this recipe; I'm definitely cooking this again!

Did a big potful so I have a couple of meals to go in the freezer, and then tonight's dinner can just be warmed up and served with the black Thai rice at the right time.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Last night i was hunting around for my RLS tablets, Ropinirole as I only have about 2 1/2 day left, I couldn't find any more so rang Boots this morning to ask if I could have them sooner ( my repeats are now on the 8th, this date had been changed because of a mix up) she said she would put an urgent through but it may take 72 hrs, so I decoded to phone my surgery.
I explained what had happened and she said the same, could be 72 hrs, but and there's a big but, the surgery will only allow certain medication to be classed as urgent and she said I can either go in to surgery or email, so I emailed.
I was getting very, very anxious as I can't do without the tablet's, as I am unable to sleep, relax, read a book because of the awful restless legs, and unable to sit down either also it can affect my arms too.
So, I decided to go through the kitchen draw that I keep the tablets in with other bits and pieces, well quite a lot really, so the kitchen draw had a big clean out and low and behold I found some loose tablets, about 2 1/2 days worth, but don't know how long they have been in there, but as I am desperate, I will take the anyway and I pray that they will work, so, so happy I found some :happy::joyful:

Here is the list :
Whilst the vast majority of medication requests are of a non-urgent nature we do provide same day urgent prescriptions for certain medications. This service is strictly limited to the following medications/patient groups: –

o Asthma and COPD reliever inhalers

o Anticoagulation

o Insulin, and associated products and other antidiabetic medications

o Antiepileptics

o GTN spray

o Long term steroids & Immune suppressants

o Antipsychotics

o Anti-arrhythmic’s

o Palliative care patients medications

o Long term antibiotics

I also asked receptionist If I could have a telephone consultation with GP, but he is fully booked until next week !!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Last night i was hunting around for my RLS tablets, Ropinirole as I only have about 2 1/2 day left, I couldn't find any more so rang Boots to ask if I could have them sooner ( my repeats are now on the 8th, this date had been changed because of a mix up) she said she would put an urgent through but it may take 72 hrs, so I decoded to phone my surgery.
I explained what had happened and she said the same, could be 72 hrs, but and there's a big but, the surgery will only allow certain medication to be classed as urgent and she said I can either go in to surgery or email, so I emailed.
I was getting very, very anxious as I can't do without the tablet's, as I am unable to sleep, relax, read a book because of the awful restless legs, and unable to sit down either also it can affect my arms too.
So, I decided to go through the kitchen draw that I keep the tablets in with other bits and pieces, well quite a lot really, so the kitchen draw had a big clean out and low and behold I found some loose tablets, about 2 1/2 days worth, but don't know how long they have been in there, but as I am desperate, I will take the anyway and I pray that they will work, so, so happy I found some :happy::joyful:

Here is the list :
Whilst the vast majority of medication requests are of a non-urgent nature we do provide same day urgent prescriptions for certain medications. This service is strictly limited to the following medications/patient groups: –

o Asthma and COPD reliever inhalers

o Anticoagulation

o Insulin, and associated products and other antidiabetic medications

o Antiepileptics

o GTN spray

o Long term steroids & Immune suppressants

o Antipsychotics

o Anti-arrhythmic’s

o Palliative care patients medications

o Long term antibiotics

I also asked receptionist If I could have a telephone consultation with GP, but he is fully booked until next week !!
I stupidly ran out of my thyroid meds the other day - rang my village pharmacy to renew the prescription (72 hours) and they had an emergency pack of five waiting for me by the time I’d hobbled down there.

Reactions: WuTwo and Juicyj
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I stupidly ran out of my thyroid meds the other day - rang my village pharmacy to renew the prescription (72 hours) and they had an emergency pack of five waiting for me by the time I’d hobbled down there.

That was lucky.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Genetics of type 1. Trying not to hijack the Genetics post in the main forum. It appears that one of the most common T1DM genome markers is HNF-1A. If that was it for me, my understanding is that I may just have an inability to spell TATCAT correctly. On my genome, I may have spelt it CATCAT, which I probably did as it does have a better ring to it.
haplotypes.jpg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gtr/conditions/C0011854/

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
*Joey from friends voice* How you doing? ;)
Diabetes was 6.6 earlier this morning, but decided to be naughty going up to 11.3. However I'm back into range now for a late lunch. :)
I was thinking about the whole discussion with commitment vs high hba1c and they get everything given to them - I'll put it up for discussion with consultant. There's a few T1s saying they can't get a pump because their hba1c is good etc.
@helensaramay Have you tried massaging yourself? I know if they massaged you with oil, I think the sensor wouldn't survive. It might slide right off or interfere with the stickiness. I'd possibly tell them don't go near it but massage around it. Or go sensor free and enjoy your massage. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was thinking about the whole discussion with commitment vs high hba1c and they get everything given to them - I'll put it up for discussion with consultant. There's a few T1s saying they can't get a pump because their hba1c is good etc.
I had that conversation - all they could see were my Diasend lines being fabulous. I suggested they looked at the data on Librelink, which is where all the logs of my doses etc were registered. When they saw I was doing 12-18 small shots every day to achieve that, they agreed that a pump was what I needed. I was hooked up 9 days later.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good afternoon
Well respiratory Dr this morning. They still have no clue what is wrong with me. I am being talked about a LOT at the mo. BUT after getting shot of my African Grey on the weekend he said I should start to see an improvement. Another appt booked in 4 months!

WOW now thats what you call a spike @helensaramay, would defo say the sensor is foo......erm broken :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SPIKY ;)

I just call an extended one a “sticky high”. Because it seems to be stuck no matter what I do, and my blood just feels... sticky.

I tend to call an extended high an excursion, though I don't like to talk of my blood sugar as if it were human like others do, when it goes on an extended high, it's as if it's broken free, and run away, and won't come home whatever I do.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back from the clinic, and I asked the nice doctor I saw about a pump. I wrote something very tentative on the "what would you like to talk about" box of the form they get us to fill in. He looked at my Libre results and said "I don't see why not", and then said it could take about a year. He was very impressed by how few spikes I had, which I though quite amusing, because when I get one they don't feel like not very many. HbA1c was 38, which is an improvement on last time, so I suspect the longer we have it the easier it gets.