Type 1'stars R Us

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@SueJB . Impressive numbers.
Steroids to blame? Most definitely.
It’s days like this that we learn the most.
1. If your levels are in the teens then insulin resistance will kick in. Normal ratios go out the window.
2. A naked burger, no carbs but protein, especially if we’re sitting a tad high will need some novo. ( gluconeogenesis)
3. We now have invaluable data to use tomorrow and in the future.
I know to you the day feels like a let down maybe but look at the positives and they are there.
You will learn so much from today.
AND for what it’s worth, a lot of us have days like this without steroids :)

Excellent post, mate, and I'm glad @SueJB has read it.

Sue, one of the most important things about long term T1 management is being able to keep it in perspective.

Sure, it's nice to keep in a nice tight range as much as possible, but when you do the occasional flier, as you currently are, to 14 or so, that will not cause any long term damage at all.

If you were scooting around at 15 to 20 for months on end, that would be a problem, but a few days/weeks at 14 while you're using steroids for legitimate medical reasons and still learning how to apply sick day rules to sort the higher levels is perfectly ok and will do no long term harm at all.

While I agree that it's generally best to keep bg in range, this site (although, fortunately, not this thread) can be a bit obsessive about it.

You're not suddenly going to go on dialysis if you're out of range for a while.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Excellent post, mate, and I'm glad @SueJB has read it.

Sue, one of the most important things about long term T1 management is being able to keep it in perspective.

Sure, it's nice to keep in a nice tight range as much as possible, but when you do the occasional flier, as you currently are, to 14 or so, that will not cause any long term damage at all.

If you were scooting around at 15 to 20 for months on end, that would be a problem, but a few days/weeks at 14 while you're using steroids for legitimate medical reasons and still learning how to apply sick day rules to sort the higher levels is perfectly ok and will do no long term harm at all.

While I agree that it's generally best to keep bg in range, this site (although, fortunately, not this thread) can be a bit obsessive about it.

You're not suddenly going to go on dialysis if you're out of range for a while.
@Scott-C , another lovely person who talks sense. Thanks, I know what you're saying and that's very reassuring again.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you are aware we need to learn all about her personality as well. So be prepared for a lot of writing.
Also, I hope you've already figured out a way to post pictures on the forum. If not, please do so before she arrives, as we'll need to see them. We also need to cuddle and play and share sharp toothed puppy kisses with her, but that's impossible as she lives too far away. But stories and pictures are the next best thing.
@Antje77 there's a strong possibility I could end up a complete bore on the subject......so once she's here, please let me know if I'm heading that way!

@SueJB a few years ago I had a virus. It was just after Christmas and everyone had gone home so I was on my own. It's the sickest I've been for years and I had bg in the 20s. I think I must've been feverish because whilst I know I gave correction doses I certainly didn't follow the sick day rules; I don't think I was compos mentis enough to think that straight. After about 5 days everything started to improve and move back towards normal. Since then nothing's changed in all the tests for all the bits that can go wrong if we don't look after ourselves, and whilst it was frightening, I see it as a blip and I've learned I may need to ask for help if I'm in that state again. @therower has given great advice; here's to hearing that you're gracefully descending into normal figures soon.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just off to bed and an article about my son’s old primary school appears...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49209737

Sleep well :D

Oh my, now every school will want one. Amazing too, so often these stories turn out to be conflated.
Not sure I wanted to read the article below it about the teacher’s body under the school, though I can just about see it in the context of some of the kids you met while doing supply.

Reactions: LooperCat

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C , another lovely person who talks sense. Thanks, I know what you're saying and that's very reassuring again.

Lol, Sue, one of the interesting things about T1 is that it's a patient managed condition, so you'll likely be walking into your GP and hospital in the near future saying, "now, doc, this is how I'm managing it, and this is why."

Confidence on those bits of it grows the longer you've been doing it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bf and I decided to go to Tesco to grab a few foodie items, pre trip I was 10.4 and I was like okay, lets go. I think we were in Tesco for 40-45 mins so as soon as we arrived home I felt a bit funny. I tested and it was 1.9 and yes I ate most of our shopping. :hilarious: Diabetes is on its way back up now, currently at 4.4. The delayed response is annoying, I'll be again monitoring for the rest of the early morning.:arghh:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, what a lovely group of people you all are. Thanks to everyone for giving advice and thoughts on my steroid v BG fight. It continuines 12.2 this morning but that was a drop since yesterday. I'm trying to be upbeat and believe I'll be back in range soon like you all said. Thanks @hh1 for your reply too.

The sun's nearly out and fingers crossed for my day out at Blenheim for Country file Live. Outrageous cost of the ticket so I'm getting there early.

Morning @Knikki, you do know it's Saturday don't you? Can't you have a lie-in?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning, no idea why I'm up so early.

Morning, I know why I am.. Just comming up off a 2.2.?
All fine here now nothing to see... Actually, took me a while to focus (dark fog patches & blurred on this one.) I tend to peruse the forum to check my eyes are back.

Time to resume that lie in..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hopefully I have attached both recipes.
The tarte tatin (sorry about the spelling of the file name) is a bit faffy and I cheat by making the components (onion and carrot) at the same time and transferring to a pie tin to cook.
However, the muhammara, a Syrian pepper and walnut dip, is a doddle with a food processor.

I have just prepared the tart components and will finish it tomorrow, made the muhammara and beetroot dip and think i’ll do the cake when I get back from my massage.

I think I can do all of this before I go to bed tonight. Himself thinks we will be eating some of it for tea but he may be disappointed. I’m not sure if i’ll have time to stop to eat.

I like the pie recipe Helen, sounds delicious, I suppose I could try gluten free pastry, I might give this a go, thanks :)

Reactions: Kim Possible

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning all. A somewhat surprised 4.9 this morning (basal is behaving beautifully - I was a 5.1 going to sleep last night). Mind you, truly excellent meditation session last night - very calming in many ways.

Little Tutti is snuggled beside me, smelling like warm cinnamon biscuits (her happy smell) and I have hot, strong, black coffee.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning guys, it's Saturday and the sun was out bright and early. BG was climbing last night, so I took 1 unit of insulin about 4 am and at least I am in single figures now.
I have to defrost and clean out freezer, I left it to long and the door wasn't shutting properly, so going to have to cook some foods this morning and unfortunately throw some out, which I don't like doing and tomorrow I have work.
Hope you all have a great weekend :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all. A somewhat surprised 4.9 this morning (basal is behaving beautifully - I was a 5.1 going to sleep last night). Mind you, truly excellent meditation session last night - very calming in many ways.

Little Tutti is snuggled beside me, smelling like warm cinnamon biscuits (her happy smell) and I have hot, strong, black coffee.

What a fantastic performer he was, that incredible voice, a real star :joyful:

Great BG @WuTwo :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Also guys I need to ask diabetes nurse on the 8th.i just put in 7units of Humalog and it stung bad worst ever I felt so far. Not sure what's causing it to sting.im sure if it's to do if body is warm. Don't say its the socks or underwear lol. Anyone else get stings when injecting or wat can I do to ease the pain?

Sometimes I get pain, it's uncomfortable at the time with some stinging too, but nothing like some pains we have had, so to me it's just part of the course, injecting now days is much more comfortable and easier than it was many decades ago.

Reactions: SueJB

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Sometimes I get pain when I inject, but when I take the needle cap thing off (the little light purple bit) I always do so with my teeth. If I manage to hit a nerve and it hurts I bite down on the needle cap. Doesn't do a thing but I haven't a bullet to bite, and anyway it feels a bit wussy saying my injection hurts when I look at the scars on my tummy and in particular the one they closed with 56 staples.... now that was painful!

No help I know, but it helps me deal and come out smiling.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@helensaramay - thanks for the recipes! I have some vegan feta in the fridge, and some Jus-rol puff in there too. No more of a faff to do the tarte than it is to do the vegan quiche, and it looks every bit as yummy. Both of us want to have a go at it and more importantly both of us want to eat it!

Reactions: Kim Possible