Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
your nurse seems to be wrong about a lot of things - fried eggs for instance - nothing wrong with them, but avoid potatoes and all sorts of bread high in starch. Berries are the lower carb fruits, no bananas as they are high carb - small amounts of high carb don't work for many people.
Avoiding carbs does cut out a lot of problems with gluten. A low carb diet often reduces appetite, so snacks become irrelevant.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all
Im already coeliac and lactose intolerant then yesterday I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes! Obviously it was a dark day yesterday and still getting my head around this! The nurse asked if I’d known I was pre diabetic for the past 2 years... erm Nope!
I was shocked as I was 10.2 mmol.
I’ve been coeliac for only 2 years.
What the heck can I eat?
Nurse very abrupt... no you cannot have more than two small potatoes a day. No you cannot have gluten free no sugar cornflakes as sugar amount per 100g was 9 and it has to be less than 5.
I can have eggs not fried, bacon, veg fruit but no berries or soft fruit! Bananas only small snack size.
I said wow this will be so restrictive!
I said I’m going away and I struggle to get gluten free snacks and realise the bars are very sugar loaded. She suggested a small bag of cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks.
Ok this will be healthy and I feel my sugars must’ve gone up cos I started having 1 red glass wine a day and drinking chocolate every night.
Once I had my scary letter red blood test and before I knew I cut out sugar in coffee the red wine and hot choc. The only symptom I had was a sore tongue and dry mouth - had this for 5 months.
Two days of not having this sugar my dry mouth and tongue are healthy again.
I feel I’m miffed that I wasn’t given the chance to just try diet rather then straight onto metformin.
Just had my 2nd metformin (day 2) and yes feel pregnant lol. Nausea slight in waves. I took first one at 4 pm yesterday and felt human at 12 noon today - 20 hours of slight nausea.
Does the side effect increase as dose increases? The happy side is I don’t feel like eating and yes need to lose weight even though I do go to a ladies gym 3 tines week.
Do I ring my coeliac diet nurse as I’m at risk of osteoporosis and need to have more calcium but hey I’m lactose intolerant so can I eat my lactofree cheese whilst diabetic??
Realise I’ve posted so much! Ps anyone get an ovary tenderness, just started yesterday and I read this drug treats pcos?
I’ve read the ‘newly diagnosed’ part and am so grateful for finding you!
Ps I’m female aged 57 and UK.
I have eaten only 5 items in total in last one year and those are eggs, chicken, mutton, fish, prawns, green veggies. Now a days it's just eggs, mutton and green veggies, since last 15 days I am in hometown and can't get chicken without hormones and antibiotics.
I don't even have access to beef, pork, Turkey, bacon, avocado, berries but I still feel more satisfied now then when I was able to eat anything. I can't eat sweet, it me gives immediate reaction like racing heart and I frankly don't miss it either.
I also don't consume dairy as I get mucus problems and find breathing difficult and I start to snore.
Once you start getting the health benefits I believe you won't miss the food that makes you feel horrible.

Reactions: GuidingSenses