Type 2 diabetes and leg cramps

dorigen

Hello everyone -
I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic, trying to manage my blood sugar with diet and exercise only. Have lost 2 stone in weight and am told by my doc that according to my HBA1C that my sugars are well controlled, but for the last 3 to 4 weeks have been having agonising leg cramps in both thigh and calf - almost always at night, and mainly in one leg. HAve tried the usual cramp remedies - eg increasing intake of potassium rich foods, etc.

Another diabetic friend has suggested that my blood sugars may be high and may be the cause. Is this likely? Have been off the wagon a bit ( ie. having the odd bit of white toast with a previous low/no carb diet) the last few weeks, but blood glucose monitor suggests no changes that I can see. Would really welcome advice from other diabetic cramp sufferers! Also had a miscarriage about 4 weeks ago, but surely this isn't related? Maybe it is - I know cramp is common in pregnancy but surely not after a miscarraige as well?
Thank you,
Sarah

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I get cramp too and there's no pattern to it. In my case it's NOT high blood sugar. I don't let it get above 6. I exercise regularly and that doesn't cause it.
Some of these cramps are VERY painful and I've learned not to pukk the muscle. I exercise the cramp out gently. The most painful for me are if the inner thigh goes.