Type 2 latest results My husn

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A good proxy marker for insulin levels?

Have you any links about this. I am interested to learn more.

There are a few papers - that reflect on the compositions and ratios being indicators of IR . I must admit my own studies have tended to bring up TG and HDL rather than TC and HDL though I can appeciate that in any event one will follow from the other.
As it was discussed at a round table of the world's leading experts that I was priviliged to get an invite too , then I assume the actual papers are available somewhere.

https://www.escardio.org/Journals/E...io-as-surrogate-marker-for-insulin-resistance

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/1/158

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a few papers - that reflect on the compositions and ratios being indicators of IR . I must admit my own studies have tended to bring up TG and HDL rather than TC and HDL though I can appeciate that in any event one will follow from the other.
As it was discussed at a round table of the world's leading experts that I was priviliged to get an invite too , then I assume the actual papers are available somewhere.

https://www.escardio.org/Journals/E...io-as-surrogate-marker-for-insulin-resistance

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/1/158

Yes, my bookmarks are about the trigs and glucose comparisons. I think you posted them some time ago.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have seen a programme and dr on there said to choose bulghur wheat ? To replace rice. Is this ok and low/lower carb?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have seen a programme and dr on there said to choose bulghur wheat ? To replace rice. Is this ok and low/lower carb?
I don't think so - grains are all about the same in carb content, about 2/3rds by weight is starch.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks again

I have just been reading the above links and was trying to work out the Cholesterol to HDL conversion as per the chart but on looking at my Hubbys Medical Record is showing the following:

Serum Cholesterol
Serum HDL Cholesterol Level
Serum Cholesterol/HDL Ratio
Se non HDL Cholesterol Lever

This has totally confused me.....

The calculator is asking for:

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL

TO

HDL

So - which numbers do I need to focus on and enter please?

Also, have been seeing things saying to take Vitamin D Supplements - why is this?

My Chemist also recommends Chromium - why?

Have been trying to get my head round all the insulin/blood glucose information and I think I am right in saying we cannot check the insulin levels ourselves - without a doctor - and they don't/wont do that - and we have to rely on blood glucose testing - but I still think we are looking at the wrong thing as Dr Fung, (and others are starting to say), says focusing on bringing that number down just masks the high insulin problem…..sorry for going on but its all very confusing in places.....

He says its all very well bringing the number down and this no doubt impresses the doctors and patients but if the insulin levels are not down/controlled then to me blood glucose and testing with the finger prick seems a waste of time....?

Which then makes Metformin useless etc etc?

Sorry to ramble, but my head is full of questions - thank goodness for this site though !

Thank you for all your help.
:) xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ROSIE1988

Which cholesterol calculator are you trying to complete?
If it is the total cholesterol/HDL ratio you want, just divide the total by the HDL. It should be under 5.

Many people these days are deficient in Vitamin D, a necessary vitamin we normally get from sunlight. This is because we tend to smother ourselves in sun protection creams, or don't spend enough time outdoors, or cover ourselves up. It is more prevalent in winter in this country, for obvious reasons! You can ask your doctor for a Vitamin D test to see if you need a supplement.

You are right that insulin levels are important, and we must try to keep these down. The fewer carbs we eat, the lower the insulin levels will be. However, blood glucose levels are also important to keep down, and again, the fewer carbs we eat the lower they will be.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the one from above/diabetes pages above lol

I have my own health issues - I have pernicious anaemia - I get extremely tired but like now am wide awake!!??

the cholesterol chart was from on here but I cannot make head nor tail of it all - see my post above from what our doctor gave us.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
the one from above/diabetes pages above lol

I have my own health issues - I have pernicious anaemia - I get extremely tired but like now am wide awake!!??

the cholesterol chart was from on here but I cannot make head nor tail of it all - see my post above from what our doctor gave us.

I still don't know which chart you are referring to. Is this the one you mean? This is the one we normally look at

http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. The one in Cherry AA post on 18th June. On page 4 of this thread

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubbys Medical Record is showing the following:

Serum Cholesterol
Serum HDL Cholesterol Level
Serum Cholesterol/HDL Ratio
Se non HDL Cholesterol Lever

Hi. The one in Cherry AA post on 18th June. On page 4 of this thread

OK Thanks. All you do is enter his serum cholesterol in the first box and the serum HDL in the box underneath, and press calculate. The answer will appear below with a short comment. However, I see your hubby's report already shows the total/HDL ratio, (which I have highlighted in red) so this chart is unnecessary unless you want to see the comment.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Ah right. I get it now ! What am I like. I think I have fried my brain reading so much. All good though. Knowledge is power and all that. Cheers

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great. Thank you. X Have been mooching about this ace site this afternoon. Getting loads of help. I confuse myself some of the time but then it usually rights itself when you lovelies point me in the right direction.

Have you heard about the Diabetes 101 book and website. I must admit it has thrown some and I say some of Fung’s stuff out my window. What do you all think? The insulin bit has done my head in. Help!? X

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rosie, I've not been on for ages and have just caught up with this entire thread.

Fung is right, he is pretty much always right, but I also think you maybe confusing the real issue here.

Yes, it is very important to lower insulin, but it goes hand in hand with blood glucose. The only way a T2 can lower insulin production is by lowering blood glucose. That is, you can't achieve one without nailing the other as lower insulin levels is a direct consequence of lower blood sugar levels. The less glucose in the blood, the less insulin is needed, the more chance you have of lowering insulin resistance, restoring normal BG levels and controlling T2.

Diet is key, but is not a total fix without other lifestyle changes. I thought I was strong and fit, I have a manual job and am active on my feet for around 16hrs a day but then I tried Cardio exercise and suddenly realised how unfit I actually was. Aerobic fitness is key here if your husband is able and will make a massive difference.

Personally, I started cycling and 10 months ago struggled to do a couple of miles without collapsing but am now able to do 20 miles a day through the forest on my mountain bike, 6 days a week religiously.

I also stick to a one meal a day low carb, high fat diet and never cheat.

I really struggled to adapt at first with the diet for all the same reasons as your husband and spent many months feeling desperate and alone as well as constantly feeling weak ill. But I stuck to it and couldn't be happier, or fitter. All of my blood markers are within normal range and a recent stress test returned Vo2Max of 46, which puts me equivalent to a twenty something in aerobic fitness at the age of 53.

Oh and resting pulse at the start of my journey was 82 and is now 58 and Im at 21.5 bmi with 12% bodyfat after losing 2 stone of fat and muscle. The muscle can be gained back with lots of protein and strength training/work.

Life is now great, all thanks to this forum, the people on it who I listened to and learned from.

You and your husband are in great hands here, but a total commitment from him is critical to get the results he and you desire.

Good luck!

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some excellent replies on here IMHO, however there is a tendency to over complicate what is actually very simple. Firstly, eat less carbs. Cut out bread, potatoes and pasta as well as the obvious cakes etc. Keep your weight as low as you can and exercise. Also not all people can keep there numbers down without medication and this trend to criticise meds is dangerous. In my case I'm 10 years in. Got a retinopathy scare last year so I'm an HFLC advocate. I was 14 stone at top end. 11.7 for about 9 years now stable at 10 stone 4 with pre diabetic numbers. I do take meds for cholesterol which is now perfect and empagliflozin/ metformin and will continue to do so