Type 2 latest results My husn

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am reading reading reading! Just finished Dr Jason Fung The Diabetes Code. It is fantastic and puts everything in a clear way. I feel I am getting a real handle on all this and we feel really hopeful! Our Doctor depressed us and more or less tried to force medication and threatened heart attacks etc! I am looking for the best keto tester and glucose tester if possible? Can anyone here suggest the best options as amazon have so many it’s confusing. Thank you x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too use the Caresens dual for ketones but found the glucose strips more expensive than the SD Codefree so carry on using that for glucose. I don't test ketones so often these days as I'm pretty much always in ketosis.

Reactions: ringi and ROSIE1988

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great. . Thank you both. Have order the machine etc. Please can someone tell me how to work out the correct amount of carbs. We are going to do the low carb high fat option and fasting. My lovely hubby is 6’ and is a landscaper so is literally on the go all day every day so he will need more carbs than me yes? Also brown rice and pasta better choices? Thank you everyone x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The correct amount of carbs is very individual. The glucose meter will help you with this, alongside a food diary.
Test immediately before eating
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the difference between before and after
If the rise is 2mmol/l or more (preferably less), there are too many carbs in that meal for him
Record all this in the food diary and watch for patterns. His danger foods will soon show themselves.
It may be a question of reducing carb portion sizes, or it may be better to eliminate some altogether.

As for brown rice and pasta, they are just as carby as the white stuff, same with wholemeal bread. It just takes a bit longer to convert to glucose.

If he has low enough carbs and high enough fats he will not lose energy. It is a matter of balance and finding the right balance for him. The fewer carbs, the more fat is needed. He also needs plenty of protein. It is trial and error, but getting his blood glucose down is a priority.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking at all foods closely now. Please can I ask. I have a pack of muffin. Do I look at the carbs in total or if which sugars but? If that makes sense? Per muffin is 30 g carb and of which sugars is says 2g. Which number is important? Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking at all foods closely now. Please can I ask. I have a pack of muffin. Do I look at the carbs in total or if which sugars but? If that makes sense? Per muffin is 30 g carb and of which sugars is says 2g. Which number is important? Thank you

It is always the total carbs. You can ignore the "of which sugars", All carbs turn to sugar once eaten, so a muffin is 30% carbohydrate. I am no cook or baker, but there are some recipes for low carb muffins mentioned here and there on the forum.
Perhaps the birds will like the muffins? ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is always the total carbs. You can ignore the "of which sugars", All carbs turn to sugar once eaten, so a muffin is 30% carbohydrate. I am no cook or baker, but there are some recipes for low carb muffins mentioned here and there on the forum.
Perhaps the birds will like the muffins? ;)
You are assuming that each muffin is 100 gm - which might well not be the case.
Judging by the 30 gm of carb per muffin, I'd guess that they were not 100 gm, so the percentage would be higher.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are assuming that each muffin is 100 gm - which might well not be the case.
Judging by the 30 gm of carb per muffin, I'd guess that they were not 100 gm, so the percentage would be higher.

It doesn't matter how much each muffin weighs. Each one is still 30% carb. There may not be 30g of carbs, but it will be 30%, even in a crumb.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also. In the Diabetes Code Dr Fung says that the glucose numbers are only reduced by taking the drugs like metformin etc but that this is not the problem and he goes on to say it doesn’t protect from hearts attacks. Eye damage etc He says its the insulin that is the problem and that the drugs don’t help with that. So what is the point of concentrating on blood glucose control as it’s the insulin levels etc that matter. This has confused me a bit!? I will find the exact page and quote what he says exactly on here later.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also. In the Diabetes Code Dr Fung says that the glucose numbers are only reduced by taking the drugs like metformin etc but that this is not the problem and he goes on to say it doesn’t protect from hearts attacks. Eye damage etc He says its the insulin that is the problem and that the drugs don’t help with that. So what is the point of concentrating on blood glucose control as it’s the insulin levels etc that matter. This has confused me a bit!? I will find the exact page and quote what he says exactly on here later.

If he says glucose are only reduced by taking drugs, he is wrong. It seems a very silly thing for him to say. I have never taken any drugs and now have normal glucose levels, through diet alone.

There is a school of thought that thinks high insulin is equally to blame as high glucose for the complications. However, if you eat a low carb diet you will automatically reduce the insulin levels. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin is produced. High levels of insulin does seem to be a problem as it is inflammatory and causes vascular problems and many other nasty things.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't matter how much each muffin weighs. Each one is still 30% carb. There may not be 30g of carbs, but it will be 30%, even in a crumb.
Each muffin is 30 gm of carbs - so if a muffin weighs 50 gm that would be 60 percent carbs, if a muffin weighs 200 gm that would be 15 percent carbs.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
emoji16.png

I have read of a lot of articles and talks by Dr Fung and he definately recommends fasting and low carb to reduce the insulin levels. He says that drugs like metformin prevent the liver from dumping glucose so HBA1C looks better but the underlying issues are not dealt with by medication alone. He says some meds like glic actually force higher insulin levels.

Blood glucose control though low carb and intermittent fasting reduces insulin levels and we see that though members that have had private/research based tests of their insulin levels such as @CherryAA and @bulkbiker. The NHS does not do these tests.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You are best off looking at the carbs per 100g not per food item - and try to keep to things that are 5g of carbs per 100g or less. An average muffin will have around 45g or carbs per 100g.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If he says glucose are only reduced by taking drugs, he is wrong. It seems a very silly thing for him to say. I have never taken any drugs and now have normal glucose levels, through diet alone.

There is a school of thought that thinks high insulin is equally to blame as high glucose for the complications. However, if you eat a low carb diet you will automatically reduce the insulin levels. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin is produced. High levels of insulin does seem to be a problem as it is inflammatory and causes vascular problems and many other nasty things.

I think its now generally accepted that its the levels of insulin that are the probem and getting them lower the better is optimal, However insulin is also " pulsatile" in the very short tems, so readings can vary quite a lot even within a minute - so that's one reason the test is not in general use. In the meantime HDL/ Total Cholesterol is considered to be a good proxy marker
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/cholesterol-to-hdl-ratio-calculator.html