Type 2 Life

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a confirmed diabetic of only 4 months I was worried that a dramatic change in eating habits when on holiday (vacation for our colonial friends) would send me back to unwanted BG levels. I have tried to be careful but I am certainly eating far more carb than my "normal" diet. Overall I am really chuffed that my BG levels are still under control, and not far out from the levels I have got used to recently.

Again it is all due to the advice and support of you good people that I managed to drop my HbA1c down from 88 to 32 in 3 months, but for those who may be worrying about going off track slightly when away from their normal lifestyle, for me at least it is not causing too many headaches.

Reactions: 18 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Only if you promise to get a grip on things. Of course you can, you are a valued poster and I enjoy your posts, especially when they are headache free.
Thanks Pasha you are most kind :):):)

Reactions: 11 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Phil

Thanks for your thoughts.

The locked thread certainly could have been handled better. When moderation action began, a number of people were PMd to try and keep the thread strictly on topic. Rather than heed advice they proceeded to derail the thread further. I had no option but to lock it. My hope was that if people genuinely wanted to know FBGs then a new topic would be opened just for that purpose and if people wanted a chat thread then they would open that. How wrong, sadly, could I be. There are obviously those who feel that "do what I will shall be the whole of the law" is the way to go.

Regards

Doug

Well, through a friend I found out that action had been taken against me, I was most certainly not "private mailed" re keeping the

thread strictly on topic. Some here know what I felt and others can probably imagine. We know that moderators have a job to do.

Speaking for myself I would like it far more if some measure of finesse was employed and fewer threats made.

Reactions: 9 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well, through a friend I found out that action had been taken against me, I was most certainly not "private mailed" re keeping the

thread strictly on topic. Some here know what I felt and others can probably imagine. We know that moderators have a job to do.

Speaking for myself I would like it far more if some measure of finesse was employed and fewer threats made.
Pasha

For some people finesse works, generally those who have transgressed forum rules, accept a message and do not further transgress. For others, such finesse will never work and those people will continue in their behaviour and/or criticise decisions made. All members have signed up to the rules including:

"Moderator decisions are final and not up for discussion. Criticism of moderators and forum monitors will not be tolerated. Things may be discussed via PM, but members will be suspended for personal attacks."

In the case of the FBG thread I was left with no option but to lock it. In the circumstances you were not disadvantaged any more than other contributers to that thread.

Doug

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks. After my diabetic eye screen this morning, I continue to have sore eyes. They're sensitive to light & are rather uncomfortable. Can anyone offer some advice from their own experience? Thank you.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pasha

For some people finesse works, generally those who have transgressed forum rules, accept a message and do not further transgress. For others, such finesse will never work and those people will continue in their behaviour and/or criticise decisions made. All members have signed up to the rules including:

"Moderator decisions are final and not up for discussion. Criticism of moderators and forum monitors will not be tolerated. Things may be discussed via PM, but members will be suspended for personal attacks."

In the case of the FBG thread I was left with no option but to lock it. In the circumstances you were not disadvantaged any more than other contributers to that thread.

Doug

I was not talking about being "disadvantaged" any more than others, whatever thats supposed to mean [ my English is not all that great ] I was talking about seeing a notice when I went to post a reply that said "you have insufficient privileges to reply here".
According to my way of thinking ,thats rude behavior plain and simple,especially when its not at least accompanied by a PM. I recognise and know the rules, I am talking about the manner in which they are applied. Its about humanity and respect I suppose................I cant really add more to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 17 people

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks. After my diabetic eye screen this morning, I continue to have sore eyes. They're sensitive to light & are rather uncomfortable. Can anyone offer some advice from their own experience? Thank you.
Hi AJ, I usually get over it in about 1 hour's time. Your soreness seems too long to me. What about calling the NHS Direct? Take care, and keep us updated.

Reactions: 10 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi AJ ..for my self i had to wash my eyes with cottonwool and cold water and i had to do it a few times before they were ok ...hope they feel better soon x

Reactions: 6 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi AJ, I usually get over it in about 1 hour's time. Your soreness seems too long to me. What about calling the NHS Direct? Take care, and keep us updated.

Thanks MBY. My hubby has nipped to my local chemist which is open until midnight to pick me up some eye drops. I've spoken with the pharmacist there on the telephone, who's recommended appropriate treatment to rinse & soothe my eyes. I'll see how I go with those. Otherwise, it'll be a trip to eye casualty tomorrow. Thank you for your kind words.

Reactions: 6 people

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks MBY. My hubby has nipped to my local chemist which is open until midnight to pick me up some eye drops. I've spoken with the pharmacist there on the telephone, who's recommended appropriate treatment to rinse & soothe my eyes. I'll see how I go with those. Otherwise, it'll be a trip to eye casualty tomorrow. Thank you for your kind words.
You're most welcome. I have very sensitive eyes, due to family heritage of grey/blue on both lineage, so I keep a whole battery of drops, washes at hand, including in my work kit, so I know how you feel, poor soul!
All the very best to you :)

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!

Mine lasts all day when I get mine done.

Get off the computer. That'll help!

Oh btw, is this where the cool kids hang out now?

Reactions: 12 people

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After some erratic results yesterday, I had a FBG reading today of 6.1
My hayfeaver is driving me bonkers, with headaches, running nose, blah, blah, closely followed by chaotic readings, all over the broad spectrum of my increasing monitor fleet :-/
But things got better by today's evening, as I had a good 5.7 two hours after a double steak of lamb's leg with missus made mash ;-)
So I celebrated with a bowl of Turkish yog enhanced blueberries...
I'll see the results tomorrow.
Moshe :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
AJ,
I too sufer fro nippy eyesafter the eye screen (usually 'til next morning!)
My solution I REFUSE the drops. They willl whinge & moan but usully give in to me!
At 51, and by staying in low light, I still dilate far enough (and no, I'm not giving birth <G>)

Reactions: 12 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @Alisonjane10 for pointing me in the right direction to this new thread. Fasting BG this morning was 6.8 :eek:

Hi @4ratbags. I know you'll have been disappointed with your 6.8 number. I'm guessing you may have re-tested to confirm the FBG. When that happens to me, I go hyper. Lol. I go wash my hands again, drink some water, clean my teeth (no idea why really...I figure it gives me a couple of minutes to Calm down though.) Then I test again. Always within 5-10 minutes of the first test. The majority of the time, the 2nd reading is lower. If it remains higher then expected, I review what I ate before bedtime & make the necessary changes to eliminate the suspect food OR reduce the size of the portion. Of course, it could also be the dreaded dawn phenomenon, a brewing bacterial or viral infection, or stress related. So many things affect our blood glucose levels that it isn't always easy to pinpoint what's going on. But, chin up....it happens to us all now n then. X

image.jpg

Reactions: 8 people