Type 2 Life

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just stop & take a breathe @oldman1954. Reconsider your decision. This WILL blow over & we can all get on with the business of supporting one another. I fully understand how you are feeling. Nom & Pasha were 2 forum members, alongside several others, who helped me when I was first diagnosed. And I will miss their input. But I would miss you too. X

As there appears to some misinformation around that is causing upset to some forum members, I'd like to reassure you that nobody who posted on the original thread has been permanently banned.

C

catherinecherub

The criticism of Moderators and the chinese whispers have gone on long enough.
Is anyone here aware of the length of the ban? Does any forum member know the contents of all the PMs from some members and Moderators? Does anyone know the length of time that Moderators put in yesterday trying to resolve the problem? Has anyone bothered to read the forum rules in an attempt to understand which rules may have been broken?

It is easy to criticise when the full facts are not known and some posts this morning have been deleted here and elsewhere due to the venom and childish remarks against Moderators and a recent post saying that they have been banned does not also say for how long. I wonder if they were informed or was that vital piece of information not revealed?

It is a cause for concern that many members who were not involved have to pay the price for the behaviour of others and do not have that thread to use. When forum rules are repeatedly broken there have to be consequences.
There is nothing to stop anyone setting up a new thread for fasting results for Type 2. There are plenty of threads you can use if you only want to chat.

Reactions: 4 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is anyone here aware of the length of the ban? DoesDoes anyone know the length of time that Moderators put in yesterday trying to resolve the problem? Has anyone bothered to read the forum rules in an attempt to understand which rules may have been broken?

It is easy to criticise when the full facts are not known and some posts this morning have been deleted here and elsewhere due to the venom and childish remarks against Moderators and a recent post saying that they have been banned does not also say for how long. I wonder if they were informed or was that vital piece of information not revealed?

It is a cause for concern that many members who were not involved have to pay the price for the behaviour of others and do not have that thread to use. When forum rules are repeatedly broken there have to be consequences.
There is nothing to stop anyone setting up a new thread for fasting results for Type 2. There are plenty of threads you can use if you only want to chat.
Now don't take this the wrong way and perhaps according to the forum rules A private message would be in order.

Just an administration point really in regards to your question about does anybody know the full content of the private messages between forum members and Moderators.

Could you clarify that this is possible then? That it is possible to know the full extent of another forums members private messages? It's just that I thought that private messages were just that.

Thanks in advance for clarification.

Reactions: 7 people
C

catherinecherub

I was illustrating that nobody knows the contents of PMs other than the sender and recipient but there are a lot of assumptions going on as to the situation, what has happened and what was said. There were several posts throughout the forum this morning, some now deleted or edited, that suggested that some members knew exactly what had transpired but they didn't.

I apologise if I did not make it clear.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

You did not break any rules @scottish-jim.
Some members were happy to do so yesterday and their actions mean that others are penalised. A lot of posts pertaining to this problem have either been edited or deleted so you cannot get the full picture.

I thought that be revisiting the forum rules people would get a clearer picture of what is permissible.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The trouble some people have is there is and often has been inconsistent application of the rules by some moderators. Some posts get deleted/edited whilst others remain. The forum rules are not consistantly adhered to yet moderation is only occasionally applied. I do not wish to get into arguments or derail the thread further but I can provide many examples of this inconsistancy over a period of time. No, we do not know what is said in PM's, this is why members can only comment on what is known. You may consider this as posting without having all relevent information but that is the fault of the forum, not the member.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you feel a post breaks the rules or should be amended in some way, Danny, you can always use the Report function. It's not possible for mods to watch every post 24/7 although we try our best. So members bringing posts to our attention is always helpful.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You did not break any rules @scottish-jim.
Some members were happy to do so yesterday and their actions mean that others are penalised. A lot of posts pertaining to this problem have either been edited or deleted so you cannot get the full picture.

I thought that be revisiting the forum rules people would get a clearer picture of what is permissible.

Thanks for your reply, but I haven't made myself clear as I quoted the wrong part of your earlier reply in this thread...

While I'm confident I haven't broken any rules

I meant to quote this part...

Is anyone here aware of the length of the ban? Does any forum member know the contents of all the PMs from some members and Moderators? Does anyone know the length of time that Moderators put in yesterday trying to resolve the problem? Has anyone bothered to read the forum rules in an attempt to understand which rules may have been broken?

Sorry to be a thicko - but could you explain which rule has been broken to warrant the penalties that have been given so that I can understand which rule has been broken.

Regards

Jim

C

catherinecherub

I cannot discuss what has happened with regard to other members as that is a private matter. People can only surmise but some members think they know even though it is pure speculation. They are not privy to what has transpired hence me saying chinese whispers.
Any type of moderator intervention that warrants a penalty is between mods and the person receiving the penalty.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you feel a post breaks the rules or should be amended in some way, Danny, you can always use the Report function. It's not possible for mods to watch every post 24/7 although we try our best. So members bringing posts to our attention is always helpful.
I don't expect anyone to moderate all posts but I have reported posts myself with no reply and I have also had posts removed without explanation ? I have asked on numerous occasions for explanations but never get a reply. I can only speak for myself, maybe I'm the only one being ignored, maybe not.

Reactions: 4 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Catherine, In your signature line you reference the quote It is better to have an open mind than one closed by belief. Anon.

Respectfully, In the same sense wouldn't it be better to have an open discourse, unlike this one in which threats of banishment, deletion and forced editing make it a challenge for adult participants to engage in the rewarding act of critical thinking that dissenting views can inspire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people
C

catherinecherub

The forum rules are there for everybody to see @Type2Guy. If people choose to ignore them then they only have themselves to blame.
The saddest thing about recent events is that those who were not engaged in any breaking of forum rules are also being penalised.

If you wish to discuss moderating then please do so via PM. Moderators are continually criticised for doing their job Some posters forget that they agreed to the forum rules when they joined.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
One of the most recently broken rules of the forum is:

"Moderator decisions are final and not up for discussion. Criticism of moderators and forum monitors will not be tolerated. Things may be discussed via PM, but members will be suspended for personal attacks."

Placing "Respectfully", or the like, at the beginning of what you post does not, of itself, make it respectful or acceptable.

It would be totally unworkable Type2Guy for every infringement of forum rules to go into public debate.

Regards

Doug

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't expect anyone to moderate all posts but I have reported posts myself with no reply and I have also had posts removed without explanation ? I have asked on numerous occasions for explanations but never get a reply. I can only speak for myself, maybe I'm the only one being ignored, maybe not.

Danny, if you report a post and would like a response, maybe you could ask in the comment box on the Report form. Most people making reports don't want a reply, but if you do and make that clear then hopefully that will be possible. You can, of course, also check the post you've reported to see if it's been removed or if a comment has been made.

If you've had posts deleted and would like to know a reason, then please do PM.

It may not be possible to respond straightaway but we try to respond as soon as possible.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Looks like another thread has been hijacked!!
No one discussing type 2 life here, just rules and discipline.

Reactions: 12 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
[QUOTE

It would be totally unworkable Type2Guy for every infringement of forum rules to go into public debate.

Regards

Doug[/QUOTE]

In my view it would also be totally inappropriate, unhelpful and counter productive.

I for one would like to see an end to the bickering, however well intentioned, and to go back to just worrying about managing the real problem I and many others have.

Jmtc

Tim

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I tend to agree somewhat with the moderators - if a thread is intended to be about morning fasting levels, it should remain as such. If on the other hand we want to have a "how I'm doing" cum cheerful morning get together/support chat thread, then it is actually a separate (though related) topic and deserves have a separate thread of its own. It's not really fair either to those people who only want to check results to have to wade through chatty or off topic posts to get the information they require, and they should not be forced to resort to the search option to find what ought to be easy to see by skimming through relevant posts. There's a place for both types of thread and I think this is what the moderators have (possibly rather heavy handedly) been trying point out and ensure happens. A large forum can quickly become useless information-wise if threads on specific topics continually go off topic or get highjacked, so we all do need to be aware of and respect this when we post.

Robbity

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Tim and Robbity

I agree 100%.

Regards

Doug

Merrylizard1314

Phil

Thanks for your thoughts.

The locked thread certainly could have been handled better. When moderation action began, a number of people were PMd to try and keep the thread strictly on topic. Rather than heed advice they proceeded to derail the thread further. I had no option but to lock it. My hope was that if people genuinely wanted to know FBGs then a new topic would be opened just for that purpose and if people wanted a chat thread then they would open that. How wrong, sadly, could I be. There are obviously those who feel that "do what I will shall be the whole of the law" is the way to go.

Regards

Doug

Dear Doug, I think you are genuinely saddened by what has occurred . People do genuinely want to know FBGs. BTW, are you a passionate fan of Denis Wheatley?