Type 2 Life

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Still 24C at 10.30pm...very clammy but there is a fresh breeze outside. Tired and watching YouTube documentary :)

Reactions: 2 people

hornplayer

Stuck in the Arts Centre of Aberystwyth University yesterday. There is a very nice cafe there, lots of whole foods. Very very "healthy". But not one thing available that I could eat. They don't even do diet drinks, just juice and posh "healthy" stuff. I resorted to buying cheese salad rolls and eating just the filling, washed down with water. And to top it all, when I explained why I couldn't eat their lovely vegetarian healthy food, or drink the hand squeezed whatever it was, to the girl behind the counter, I got a lecture! She insisted that I could "reverse" my diabetes with her proper heathy diet. When I pointed out that it was possible to bring blood sugar level to normal and keep them there by eating low carb and by making extremely careful choices, but that you would still be diabetic and levels would rise again if you ate sugar and carbs. She argued with me, saying, in effect, that it was poor food choices which had caused me to become diabetic in the first place. I was left feeling like a particularly stupid child. - I don't want to name and shame, but if you're going to an event at the arts complex, be warned and take your own food!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
That's so sad Hornplayer. These, so well intentioned people, just cannot be convinced whatever evidence is put before them. It's almost like a religion. We just have to roll with it and keep eating the low carbs and winning. Cheers:dummy1:

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It was oner 31 degrees C here today went for a walk on the trails again when I got back to the car it was registering 45 degrees on the display and the can of pop I'd left in the car was so hot I could hardly drink it.

hornplayer

It's really depressing. The day before I ate my emergency Atkins bar, and the very nice chef at the University refectory had made chicken skewers, so that was okay, but the only choices at the refectory yesterday at lunch were pasta and things I just didn't know enough about to risk. - As I had to play yesterday it was vital that I ate as close to zero carbs as possible. Otherwise my mouth gets so dry I can't play.

hornplayer

It was oner 31 degrees C here today went for a walk on the trails again when I got back to the car it was registering 45 degrees on the display and the can of pop I'd left in the car was so hot I could hardly drink it.

I left an eye shadow on the front seat of the car - by accident - and the plastic case melted!

JenniferG

@JenniferG you are an inspiration to me. I'm restarting my lchf this week. Im hoping to see a sign of weight loss this time. I need to lose 10st but id be happy with anything right now.
Do you have any other medical problems other than diabetes type 2?
Well I have severe edema in lower extremities if I don't keep my legs elevated often and/or bed rest. And I have chronic non-insertional achilles tendonosis.

I've only been on LCHF for a couple months and lost that 40, but I've plateaud for the time being. I think I was getting really dehydrated before and got some water back. I expect the weight loss to resume soon. I have 200 pounds to lose still. So we'll see how I do! :)

Wish you the very best!

JenniferG

Me now 6 stones lighter still as daft looking as ever but a little different I think. That is what preds can do to you given enough time.oh and date on camara was looking to the future a little bit.

PICT0174_zpswnnyefqu.jpg
Wow! Nice job on that weight loss!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@JohnEGreen - Hi. What's the story on Prednisolone? :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The photo of the fat me was after taking preds for years at a high dose it has a list of side effects some quite nasty as long as your arm. It is the reason I became T2. I am now taking a much reduced dosage of 15mg a day though my GP was quite shocked at that level , and there is no likely hood of being able to come off them.

It is relatively safe to take for shorter periods of time and lower doses so the recommendation now a four week course of preds at a time give or take a few weeks..

If you are on them for a long time your endocrine system ceases producing cortisol and you become dependent on the preds if you stop taking them you do not always start producing cortisol again and you can end up with an Adison's disease like condition.

If I stop taking them my MG could flare up so neurologist want's me to continue with them even though I am now taking Azathioprine as well which is another immunosuppressant that iis often used as a means to reduce the need for Prednisolone though it has its own set of side effects.

Don't wish to be scarey but long term use of preds is best avoided if possible though it's not alway avoidable in many cases.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I always view life through a glass half full... But today it's flowing over:) A1C of 29 against my original score of 53 just 3 months ago:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Thank You @JohnEGreen for that Information much appreciated. I just began taking 20mg Prednisolone 5days ago, and then this coming Saturday the dose is reduced to 15mg for 7 days, and then reduced again until week 4, when I will be just taking 5mg a day. I also have a Biological Drug (Injection) every month which lowers my Immune system because I have Psoriatic Arthritis and the Rheumatologist has previously tried Steriod Injections but it had no effect. I know it has only been 5 days since starting the Prednisolone, but I don't feel the joint pain/aches any different.
I am experiencing side effects of: feeling dizzy, blurry vision, unsteady on my feet, slightly raised blood sugars and my stomach feels like it is 'sommersaulting'! :) oh, and drenching sweats too!

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@liam1955 among the side effects are a loss of bone mass and as you have found tummy problems have you been put on bone protector like adcal with vitamin D or alandronic acid. I also take Lanzoprazol as preds can thin the stomach lining they can also cause water retention this is why I take furosemide half the meds I take are to protect me from the preds.

Mind you looking back I was first prescibed Preds when my grandson was 6 he's now 21 I don't expect you will be on them for that long or I hope not.

Also you have my deepest sympathies the list of meds you must have gone through before being put on biologic therapy must have been huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Morning FBG 9.0 mmol/l. Got the docs this morning. If I get the all clear then going in to work at 12 and do 2 night late. Didn't sleep that great. My body temp was 38.2C last night and has fell back to 37.8C after paracetamol. Feeling chesty and coughing a lot. Since I've had Acute Respiratory Failure before I'm taking no chances and will get checked out.:)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KevinPotts

Great news Kevin I know not everyone reacts the same to the same things, but I would love to see your daily food diary over the last 3 months and copy your fasting regime. You are very lucky having a GP that seems to understand and support your diet. Mind you, you are the one that has researched, tried, tested, stuck with it when it was tough, persevered when you probably fancied a treat. It's a superb testament to your patience and determination to succeed. Well done Kevin. Please publish consider publishing your journey in detail